• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Close is D&D Encounters to you?

Stormonu

Legend
Or any other "organized D&D/Pathfinder" event?

I ask to get a feel for how popular D&D is in your area - or at least how popular as an organized, social activity. I'd also include any D&D (like) game held at game store, club house or public place. Just as long as its not a "home" game.

My own results....
[sblock]
*Sigh* Nothing can disappoint a fan quicker than finding out how obscure your hobby really is.

My brother runs Friday Night Magic here in Hattiesburg, MS. Averages a pretty good crowd. If you lived here and didn't want to stay in town, there's at least 3 other places doing FNM within 50 miles or so. Reach out to New Orleans, and if your a Magic fan you'll find something within an hour or two to play at.

Just for kicks, I thought I'd look on the D&D site and see what the closest D&D encounters is. The closest is about 60 miles away (even with 2 "game" stores in town). The next closest is over 90 miles / 2 hours away. :(
[/sblock]

Shades of Green

First Post
As far as I know, other than the occasional convention, there are no organized games here in Israel, only home games hosted by various people. But I might be mistaken, as I'm not *THAT* well connected with the local community...

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Well I'm in Ireland and when I looked up the Encounters Program in the WoTC site the nearest was in Manchester in the UK. I'd need to step on a boat or plane to actually get there. So not really an option.

Pity, cause it there was one in Limerick or Cork I would be tempted to drive to it, inspite of the time.

_NewbieDM_

Explorer
It is for this very same reason that I'm starting work on a new community based project.

I want to replicate the D&D Encounters experience for those of us who are time limited, and can't make it to the game store, or just don't have one available nearby.

I want to create an Encounters-like series and make them available for download on a weekly basis, then open up the forums for discussing the previous week's encounter. It would also serve as an outlet for community members to showcase their work, be it in art, or cartography or encounter design...

Find more info about my idea here...

A program like D&D Encounters for the rest of us « www. Newbie DM .com

Steel_Wind

Legend
There are several of them in my city -- closest is 10 minutes away from work (In Toronto? That's close).

Not meaning to threadcrap here, but one of the strengths of Pathfinder Society organized play is that they don't have to be played at a convention or game store to "count". You can play them in your home game or online.

There is no way that I will got to a game store to game -- no matter the system. Won't happen. Even if it is close to where I work - it's inconvenient for me to play in a game store; moreover, it's not relaxing.

But I have played PFSS over the net via Skype using multiple webcams. Played two of them yesterday using that method, as a matter of fact. And we'll try it with Fantasy Grounds II and D20 Pro in the coming months, too.

It all depends on what you are looking for from "organized play", imo.

Deverash

First Post
Theres one I go to about a 10 minute drive, and that's the only one in the county(and it takes about an hour to get out of the county). It had a high of 2 tables for a couple of weeks, and now has dropped down to the minimum 4, but I figure most of that is due to summer vacationing.

hutchback

Explorer
There are three shops within reasonable driving distance from my place. 10, 20 and 35 minutes away. Two of them are running D&D Encounters. The other is a brand new shop that focuses on CCGs but said they would run Encounters if someone expressed an interest in DMing.

I still don't know if I would say the D&D is popular around here. Magic still seems to be the heavyweight and then boardgames.

Remove ads