D&D 5E How complex do you like your character creation process?

How complex do you like your character creation process?

• 1. Super simple. Even 5E's streamlined process is too much.

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • 2. Simple. 5E's streamlined process fits me well and I use it.

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • 3. Standard. 5E's typical process, with choices I can think about, is enough.

Votes: 31 32.3%
  • 4. More. I like 5E's process, but I think we could have some more choices.

Votes: 28 29.2%
  • 5. Mega-More. I find 5E's process unsatisfying and I want a lot more choices!

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • 6. Other. Please explain in your post.

Votes: 7 7.3%

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Yea, I've definitely kicked around sidekick classes. My only concern is that I want magical ability to be discoverable during play, not siloed into a specific class.
Understandable. Would you want it discoverable so any PC could get into it, or just if you started along the path already?

Horwath

Legend
I voted 5, but maybe 6 could be more accurate.

We should have "feat points" instead of feats.

getting 2 feat points per level and having a "good" feat cost 8 point, a good half feat 4 points and a +1 to ability score 4 points would be far better system.

that way feats could get more granular and easier to balance.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Understandable. Would you want it discoverable so any PC could get into it, or just if you started along the path already?
The former, ideally. Although a character with higher mental stats, or proficient in Arcana, Religion, etc., would generally be better at it.

Ideally, most magic would be ritualistic and crafted.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
As someone who often plays with players new to TTRPG's and children, I'd say it's "too complex." But really only because it's a flagship at this point. D&D is the TTRPG because it's mainstream and relatively simple to play. Still, when a player cracks open the basic rules for the first time, it's often daunting as even if they can ignore 90% of the book, that's still alot of moving parts.

The fact that I consider there's less than 10 trap options in the entire game means it's actually decently balanced too.

I think the wizard should actually be around the same complexity as the warlock and everything else should be a bit simpler. Would that edge out more hard-core players? Probably. But honestly Pathfinder is meant to be a more hard-core experience and it's more suited for that anyways.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
There's one element to consider here that only got briefly waved at upthread:

How long should it take to get a character to a state where it's game-playable (answer: as close to zero as possible) vs
How long should it take to get a character completely fleshed out (answer: as long as it needs).

A character doesn't need to be completely fleshed out with background, flaws, etc. in order to be playable; those can be filled in as play goes along. But it does need all the mechanical bits in place, and that's where 5e - though better than 3e! - is still way too complex and time-consuming for my liking. Ideally, a 0e/Basic level of simplicity - choose race and-or class, roll your stats, figure out your spells if applicable, gear yourself up, and come up with a name and description such that you or the DM can narrate your appearance/name to the rest of the crew - is all it should otherwise take.

My benchmark for this is the answer to the following question: if someone's PC just died and that player needs to roll up a replacement NOW because there's not otherwise going to be an opportunity to introduce a new PC for maybe several sessions or more, how long of a break does everyone else have to take so we can get that new PC up and running?

If it's less than 10 minutes*, we're good. If it's in the 10-15 minute range*, I'll live with it. If it's longer than that, something's wrong with the char-gen system. And yes, my own system needs a long look as it's slowly become rather bloated over the years and char-gen takes way longer than it once did.......

* - assuming the player is reasonably fast at making decisions if-when they arise.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I do also enjoy procedural or random character generation, though, especially stuff like playbooks in PbtA or FitD games.
Yeah, this is an underutilized approach, I feel.

Without life paths, though, 5E is about perfect for me: not too heavy, not too light.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I found the pdf (luckily I had it saved). It is a good size, but fortunately I could attach it here. :D
Ooh, I like that. Lock down some of those feats behind storyline discoveries, and add a robust crafting system, and I'm like 95% of the way to what I'm looking for.

Remove ads