How did Psionics change your game?

SJE

Explorer
I've been invited to play some FR and I was wondering about asking to use the Expanded Psionic Handbook to play a Psion blaster (kineticist).

How would the introduction of psionics into the magic-heavy world of Faerun affect the game? (assuming we use the Magic=Psionics rules in the PGtF)?

And generally, how have Psions stacked up in play compared to the other core classes? Are they overpowered or underpowered in your games?

I know one cheap trick for Psions is to take a Fighter level and go with the Heavy Armour for the whole game. Any other Psion tips?

Mucho gracias,

SJE

IcyCool

First Post
14th level Wilder. Timestop (or whatever the power is called), Anticipatory Strike, and Energy Ray.

Solo'd an Old Red Dragon (CR 20).

Walked out with 3 power points left, and plenty of hitpoints.

The word Horrific comes to mind.

Reynard

Legend
The @#&&(@&$# Psion keeps dominating every one and rewriting the memories of everyone else (PCs included).

He *will* go down. And soon...

Haltherrion

First Post
SJE said:
And generally, how have Psions stacked up in play compared to the other core classes? Are they overpowered or underpowered in your games?

I tried the 3.0 psion but not the more recent version so I'll let others comment on relative power. But I will toss in one observation from that experiment: more than half of my players really disliked the psion "flavor". That is, they felt fairly strongly that psionics and classic magic settings weren't a great fit.

While not a great fan of psionics, I was surprised at my players reaction. Anyway, something to consider if you are thinking of introducing into a game group that has not previously played with it. even if you convince the DM to give it a go, you may want to informally poll the players.

smilinggm

First Post
Honeltly psionics has not changed my game. It has always been a part of my game. 25 years ago when I started gaming we used the 1st ed AD&D rules and psionics were part of the players guide so we played with them. So to me Psionics has always been a part of the game. Admiditally psionics adds a different flavor but that is a good thing.

THe EXP is, IMHO, the best published Psionic system as it comes to meshing well with Core rules.

The biggest problem with Psionics is the powerpoint mechanic allows a user to burn hard and fast, turning 'one encounter a day' games into a cakewalk...see above Red Dragon example.

This doesn't effect my game much as my players can expect 3 to 4 minor encounters before running into the big bad guy.. I play a heavy hand with resource attrition.

Using a spell point system, I would suggest Elements of Magic: Revised, ramps the spellcasters up to the same capability.

The other difficult part, at least for me, is keeping track of the different abilities. Having a PC Psion virtually mandates Psionic enemies. Eberron setting is geared nicely for this with built in Psionic conflict. But I still have to create the major NPC's and looking at all the different options can get annoying.
Thats my 2 cents

Davelozzi

Explorer
SJE said:
I've been invited to play some FR and I was wondering about asking to use the Expanded Psionic Handbook to play a Psion blaster (kineticist). Are they overpowered or underpowered in your games?

The psion (telepath) in my game is pretty much on the level with the other PCs. Some adventures he kicks major ass (mind thrust being a big reason for this), but other times (such as the current adventures, in which the opponents are mostly fighting undead), he takes more of a backseat role.

I have not played with a blaster type, but from what I've read (in the rulebook and online) they're a bit overpowered compared to an arcane blaster. The main reason is that most of the energy powers can be used with any sort of energy type whereas the arcane versions required you to know/prepare a different spell for each energy type.

Primitive Screwhead said:
Having a PC Psion virtually mandates Psionic enemies.

I disagree. I felt that this was sort of the case in 3.0, especially since psionic combat was presented as a major element of the class. Now that it's been wiped away, there isn't really any reason why you need psionic enemies (especially if you're using the psionics=magic transparency that is assumed). We don't even use complete transparency, and have had hardly any psionic monsters, and it has not been a problem in the slightest. The psion is plenty able to contribute against any sort of enemy (except undead, as noted above, but that's mostly because a telepath tends to focus on mind affecting powers -- plenty of other psionic powers would work fine against them).

Remove ads