• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Did You Start Playing?

How did you start playing RPGs?

• Local game store (demo games, etc.)

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Introduced by a friend

Votes: 217 72.8%
  • Heard about it and bought a game

Votes: 48 16.1%
  • Saw a game and bought it on impulse

Votes: 26 8.7%

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
kenobi65 said:
we need to remind ourselves that an awful lot of players (even younger, generally-net-savvy players) do *not* visit gamer message boards.

mtgcom_feature_203_picMain_en.jpg

"FOR NOW, HUMAN! GLEEMAX WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING!"

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
My brother started hanging out with some guys who played AD&D, so he introduced me to it, and we got the red box set. We thought D&D and AD&D were the same game so we mixed and matched the stuff into one horribly messy but wonderful whole. That was 1984 I think.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Flexor the Mighty! said:
My brother started hanging out with some guys who played AD&D, so he introduced me to it, and we got the red box set. We thought D&D and AD&D were the same game so we mixed and matched the stuff into one horribly messy but wonderful whole. That was 1984 I think.
I think that was REALLY common. Almost everyone I know in the 1E era used X1 (The Isle of Dread) as an AD&D module, as well as B2. By the time we knew the difference, we didn't really care, and kept on using BD&D stuff with AD&D games.

Had a friend (and store owner) lend me a book and invited me to watch/play that night. If not for me then return the book. If I liked it and play then keep the book. That was roughly 20 years ago.

Haloq Jakar

First Post
A friend that I played Avalon Hill board games with came back from WinterWar Con all excited. " Dude you got to try this new game (D&D) its like playing Lord of the Rings Man! It was all over , we rarely played our old Avalon Hill stuff after that. And that was over 30 years ago

Steel_Wind

Legend
Would it assist to ask instead where they first bought their first three RPG game books?

Perhaps not. Given the age of most ENWorlders, its likely to be a FLGS rout as well - and I'm not sure that would really mean anything even if it was true.

I think the point of brick and mortar gaming shops is to make the game visible, accessible for purchase without a credit card and it allows new hobby games to be introduced to current customers that they might not otherwise have bought and might not otherwise have known about.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads