• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do GMs convey the maps from adventures published online?

Katana_Geldar

First Post
I use tiles and I have found blu-tach to be indispensible with adapting maps from pictures, whether online of from modules. Particularly curvy ones.

Conversely, I have found transfering paper maps to online in map tool gives me a new appreciation of the map makers. Particularly the garden of the graves in ToH, as that was very, very clever.

I have always been partial to battle mats myself. That being said I've built up a pretty large library of paper craft type stuff, plus a lot of 'dungeon dressing' that I've scratch built over the years. You can do amazing stuff with some acrylic paint, a bit of foam, poster board, markers, squadron blue putty, etc. Now and then I'll whip out a new bit for a memorable encounter. Playing online recently though I don't get a chance to do that stuff much anymore. I also use some bits of old model RR scenery stuff, lichen, trees, etc. Sometimes even just a cut out piece of paper with something drawn on it if I'm in a hurry.

I just feel inhibited in terms of creating interesting encounter spaces by things like tiles. I can see the appeal, but after you've used them a dozen times they start to feel kind of stale.

Markn

First Post
I think this is a fantastic topic.

Our group has tried a lot of different methods. Ultimately, we go back to the lame imitation method because it has the right combination of cheap and quickness for setting it up.

D&D has become more and more about the visual experience. From graph paper dungeons (way back when), to paint yourself pewter/lead minis, to prepainted minis, to tokens, to character visualizers, to tactiles with multi color dry erase markers, D&D simply needs to appeal to the eye to continue to get traction with new players. I really feel there is a market here for a company to develop a way to print/produce maps via some format (or multiple formats) that enables the DM to show the players exactly what he sees. I really find it quite funny that companies go to great lengths to produce visually stunning maps when very few DMs are able to convey them to their players. Companies/D&D groups have come up with some solutions - projector method, D&D tiles, to name a few are out there but nothing has universally caught on. I've often thought Dungeon could really become leading edge by giving the DM the ability to showcase maps to their players in all their glory. Not sure how, but if it could be done...

I guess there is no easy answer to this, but if someone creates a solution, they will make a LOT of money.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I'm a wet-erase culprit, me.

I think I'm a halfway decent tabletop cartographer, really, but it's always been my attitude that crappy maps (and inch-long color-coded sections of dowel instead of detailed miniatures) just allow the players' imaginations to kick in more thoroughly.

I think this is a fantastic topic.

Our group has tried a lot of different methods. Ultimately, we go back to the lame imitation method because it has the right combination of cheap and quickness for setting it up.

D&D has become more and more about the visual experience. From graph paper dungeons (way back when), to paint yourself pewter/lead minis, to prepainted minis, to tokens, to character visualizers, to tactiles with multi color dry erase markers, D&D simply needs to appeal to the eye to continue to get traction with new players. I really feel there is a market here for a company to develop a way to print/produce maps via some format (or multiple formats) that enables the DM to show the players exactly what he sees. I really find it quite funny that companies go to great lengths to produce visually stunning maps when very few DMs are able to convey them to their players. Companies/D&D groups have come up with some solutions - projector method, D&D tiles, to name a few are out there but nothing has universally caught on. I've often thought Dungeon could really become leading edge by giving the DM the ability to showcase maps to their players in all their glory. Not sure how, but if it could be done...

I guess there is no easy answer to this, but if someone creates a solution, they will make a LOT of money.

Well, I'm not sure there is a trend towards more elaborate visual presentation. I mean I was around in the 70's when people were playing mass fantasy battles on the table top with Chainmail. Generally there was a pretty high standard of presentation back then during play. Certainly people aspired to a high standard. In the game club I was in back then people would look at you like you were out of your mind if you couldn't whip out a mini that looked like your character. Playing without minis and scenery was barely, if at all, tolerated. So it isn't a new trend.

Nowadays the artwork you get in products is better and a lot of gamers have bigger budgets for 'stuff' so maybe some of them are attaining a higher standard of presentation, I don't know. I'd say it is more like the concept of table top play, minis, and such became unpopular in the 90's with rules systems that were more abstract and further from the wargaming roots of the hobby.

I agree, as far as simpler and better ways to present things I don't have a ton of ideas. flat screens and projectors and mobile devices are making some kinds of digital presentation feasible now, but the tools people have are so varied there really is no one-size-fits-all solution. Even if there was there are always going to be plenty of kids and people without big budgets or space for elaborate setups playing. They are probably the majority. Nobody will make too much money creating a solution that leaves them out. I figure the inevitable march of technology will help.

Zaran

Adventurer
Wet Erase for the most part. Online, I've adjusted the maps provided with the adventure to fit the grid but that's really hard to do. So I've started redrawing everything and found it doesn't take alot of time.

jcayer

Explorer
I haven't run something like this since but if I were, I would scan it in and just import it into MapTools. Throwing it through a projector does have its advantages.

Kannik

Hero
One option if you really like a map and want to use it is to check for a local blueprint or large-format printing shop. Most medium- to- larger cities will likely have at least one, and they can print on up to 3'x4' paper. Greyscale is likely to cost somewhere between 1-2 dollars par square foot (and colour way more so) so it may be best used for those final or memorable encounters. Having the map one piece of paper, though, rather than a bunch of letter sized sheets taped together really goes a long way to upping the impact of the map (and not having it move, fall apart, fray, stick up, trip minis, etc in the middle of combat :p).

I've made and printed a bunch of maps this way, and it's always worked out great. When an encounter stops and the players see me reaching behind my chair for the large printed map, they know and get anticipatory to the big deal that's about to go down... }:)

-Kannik

SunRaven01

First Post
I use a combination of papercraft scenery (generally reserved for "important" encounters) and printed maps.

When printing a map, I drag it into Photoshop and crop it to 6x6 sections for printing. Then I print on 110lb cardstock. This gives me a nice, reusable map that can be broken down nicely for storage in a file box. :)

Print once, reuse as necessary.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads