How do I get a signature?

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
No matter what I put in for a signature, I get an error message telling me it's too long. For reference, my most recent attempt was the following:

"'Plot' is what the DM does to amuse himself when the players aren’t talking." - Shamus

What gives?I know this isn't a 5e question, but there's nothing I could find in the FAQ or anything else to address the issue.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Aaand let's see if my attempt at putting a signature worked. Have you tried something really short like "1 2 1 2 test test"?

edit: it works for me...

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Aaand let's see if my attempt at putting a signature worked. Have you tried something really short like "1 2 1 2 test test"?

edit: it works for me...

One or two words it will take with no problem. But I see people with longer signatures on here, and I can't understand how they do it.

I thought a while ago that maybe I was too new for it to work, and that may be true, but I've been on the site for almost a year now, and still no dice. It wouldn't bother me if there was something in the FAQ or somewhere that laid out how it works.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
One of the perks for being a Copper level supporter of EN World is you can have up to 10 lines in your signature.

Nellisir

Hero
You'll get a better reply in Meta, but I'm pretty sure it's related to being a subscriber. If I recall correctly, a non-subscriber can have one line; a subscriber gets more.

Rune

Once A Fool
...and subscribers get to have links in their signatures, too.

However, a signature doesn't change if your subscription lapses, so that's one reason you might see non-subscribers with longer sigs and/or sigs with links. Another (increasingly less common) is that such sigs were grandfathered in when the current limitations were instituted oh-so-many-years ago.

Last edited:

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I re-posted my question on the Meta boards, and no luck there so far either.

And I'd be fine with a one-line signature, but there is nothing that tells me what the length of a line is. The signature attempt I posted above is one line long, but it still gets rejected as being too long. If there is a character/word limit, it would be far more useful to have that limit available to work with and around.

And how do I get noted as a subscriber? I'm a Patreon Patron; does that count? I just did it through the links that took me to the Patreon page.

Looking at the subscriber set up, my Patreon subscription is more than the requirement for the Copper level. Don't they talk to each other?

Last edited:

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I had to push and test the bounds of this as well. Although I don't know the precise character limit that qualifies as "one line," I can say that my signature was repeatedly iterated until it came juuuuust inside the limit. Because a proper rendering of 1st Corinthians 13:13 would be slightly over, and I pared it back until it fit.

Nellisir

Hero
...and subscribers get to have links in their signatures, too.

However, a signature doesn't change if your subscription lapses, so that's one reason you might see non-subscribers with longer sigs and/or sigs with links. Another (increasingly less common) is that such sigs were grandfathered in when the current limitations were instituted oh-so-many-years ago.

And this is why I don't mess with my sig. ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases