How do I get my basketball team to win a game?

Libramarian

Adventurer
On a lark two friends and I decided to join a basketball rec league. We were matched up with 10 other people to make a team. We've played two games now and were blown out badly each time.

I'm doing alright, mostly because I'm 6'4" so I can usually get some baskets just shooting over people. But nobody else on the team seems to be capable of scoring the ball consistently. The only other way we get baskets is just like a mad scramble under the hoop where if we get the rebound three times in a row it will eventually go in. Nobody on the team can shoot very well and when we try to pass it closer to the hoop it often gets stolen.

We need to learn how to run some plays or something to be able to score more efficiently. But we only have like 20 minutes before the game and during halftime to work on something.

What's the basic thing we should practise to become good enough to win at least one game?

Grehnhewe

First Post
If it was soccer I would say if ever there is minor contact fall over, grab your knee and cry out in pain.:)

Seriously ly though is everyone playing their positions, guarding their man and practicing shooting?

Janx

Hero
I assume the standard way is to have your boyfriend take a club to the competition's knees.

Pretty sure that worked for that ice skating girl.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
There's no other time you guys can get together and practice?

Tanya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan? I forgot which one it was that got injured... Why I remember the names though... I don't know.

On a lark two friends and I decided to join a basketball rec league. We were matched up with 10 other people to make a team. We've played two games now and were blown out badly each time.

I'm doing alright, mostly because I'm 6'4" so I can usually get some baskets just shooting over people. But nobody else on the team seems to be capable of scoring the ball consistently. The only other way we get baskets is just like a mad scramble under the hoop where if we get the rebound three times in a row it will eventually go in. Nobody on the team can shoot very well and when we try to pass it closer to the hoop it often gets stolen.

We need to learn how to run some plays or something to be able to score more efficiently. But we only have like 20 minutes before the game and during halftime to work on something.

What's the basic thing we should practise to become good enough to win at least one game?

Easiest way to get your team to win a game; get a new team that doesn't suck if that isn't an option, practice more, not just 20 minutes before each game.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
One tactic that may work is to have your teammates feed you the ball more. With your physical attributes, you're going to be a natural target. As your touches and points accumulate, your teammates will be more open.

That's when you start passing back to them- they'll have more open looks at the basket.

That said, they probably need more practice than they've been getting.

Libramarian

Adventurer
If it was soccer I would say if ever there is minor contact fall over, grab your knee and cry out in pain.:)

Seriously ly though is everyone playing their positions, guarding their man and practicing shooting?
Well we call our own fouls in this league so it wouldn't be difficult to be cheap about that. However if you call fouls for no reason or otherwise be a whiny jerk you lose "spirit points" which affect your team's final standing as much as your win/loss record does. I am hesitant to risk our spirit points because those are the only points we're getting right now. :p

It's kind of interesting because just watching from the bench we don't look that much worse than the other teams, nobody in this league is very good, but we're just getting pasted by 20+ points.

My theory now is that it's all the turnovers we get from bad passes. So I'm going to suggest passing less and just shooting if you're open and the other tall guy on the team and I will try to get the rebound if it misses.

I'll keep an eye out next game for what's going on defensively.

I assume the standard way is to have your boyfriend take a club to the competition's knees.

Pretty sure that worked for that ice skating girl.
I definitely think we'd lose some spirit points for this :p

Libramarian

Adventurer
There's no other time you guys can get together and practice?

I do have all my teammates' emails but I don't know most of them very well. Maybe I'll try to set up a separate practice. I'll see how my less passing, more rebounding strategy works next game first.
One tactic that may work is to have your teammates feed you the ball more. With your physical attributes, you're going to be a natural target. As your touches and points accumulate, your teammates will be more open.

That's when you start passing back to them- they'll have more open looks at the basket.

That said, they probably need more practice than they've been getting.

Probably a good idea--the other thing I'll say is to pass it to me high so i can just reach up and get it.

Last game I was getting swarmed by other defenders when I had the ball inside, which must mean somebody else is open...I'll try to keep my head up and look around.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Re: Spirit points & Tonya Harding's assault on Nancy Kerrigan

I was playing on a co-ed intramural team that was getting beaten routinely, but one team really had everyone's number. They had a guy who was seriously good, accounting for 60-75% of his team's points. Well, when we got to play them, he was already doubling us up by halftime. By himself.

About midway through the third quarter, he was going up court with the ball when our exasperated player/coach shouted from the bench, "John, stop him!"

John was not a basketball player, but he was an athlete. A martial artist. And at mid-court, he landed a beautiful punch on the guy, knocking him out cold*. We lost by the slimmest margin of any other team to that point in the season. :D

(That guy didn't pad his stats anymore- from that point forward, he sat on the bench when the game was well in control.)

* John DID apologize to him- he claimed to have "freaked" a bit when the coach yelled- and there were no hard feelings.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Nobody on the team can shoot very well and when we try to pass it closer to the hoop it often gets stolen.

Practice in passing and plays needs the team to be together. Practice taking shots does not. Anyone with a basketball and a hoop can practice their aim.

Mind you, all the skills take time to develop. There's not going to be an instant success here.

Remove ads