• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Do You Deal With Splatbooks?

How Do You Handle Splatbooks?

• Anything goes!

Votes: 19 6.2%
  • Anything published by Wotc goes!

Votes: 75 24.5%
  • Approval/disapproval on a case-by-case basis.

Votes: 205 67.0%
  • Some things restricted at campaign start, everything else allowed.

Votes: 42 13.7%
  • Limited number of options (e.g. based on character level).

Votes: 16 5.2%
  • Core rules only!

Votes: 29 9.5%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 17 5.6%

Greg K

Legend
I voted case by case. I am very selective about what I alllow and, unlike many people here, I give WOTC material gets no special preference of use. If anything, I am less likely to use WOTC material- I tend dislike about 90% or more of the material in most WOTC supplements.

broghammerj

Explorer
I guess I would have to buy a splatbook before I knew what to do with one. :D I stick with world sourcebooks, adventures, and monster books.

I enjoyed the 2E splatbooks a lot even though some were very unbalanced. Then I had to watch TSR gut their product lines and release a new edition (3E) due to too many splatbooks and too many different products lines (Dark Sun, Planescape, Ravenloft, etc). I sort of bought into this idea of downsizing when they wanted to focus on core products. That worked until they realized that they could no longer make money. Then came along the cash cow generator of feats and prestige classes. Talk about Deja Vu!

Now we have splatbooks galor. I love 3E and the mechanic. It's probably my favorite incarnation of DND, so don't think I don't like 3E. However, I dont need the upcoming Complete Book of Two Weapon Wielding Drow set to be released in September 2009

Wik

First Post
broghammerj said:
I guess I would have to buy a splatbook before I knew what to do with one. :D I stick with world sourcebooks, adventures, and monster books.

I enjoyed the 2E splatbooks a lot even though some were very unbalanced. Then I had to watch TSR gut their product lines and release a new edition (3E) due to too many splatbooks and too many different products lines (Dark Sun, Planescape, Ravenloft, etc). I sort of bought into this idea of downsizing when they wanted to focus on core products. That worked until they realized that they could no longer make money. Then came along the cash cow generator of feats and prestige classes. Talk about Deja Vu!

Now we have splatbooks galor. I love 3E and the mechanic. It's probably my favorite incarnation of DND, so don't think I don't like 3E. However, I dont need the upcoming Complete Book of Two Weapon Wielding Drow set to be released in September 2009

Wotc released 3e, not TSR. In fact, some of the later 2e books were also released by wotc, under the TSR label.

broghammerj

Explorer
Wik said:
Wotc released 3e, not TSR. In fact, some of the later 2e books were also released by wotc, under the TSR label.

I guess the devil is in the details. I know WOTC released 3E. Sorry I wasn't more specific. I realize they were different companies but I look at them collectively as the makers of DND.

Darkwolf445

First Post
I used to allow any WotC products. Now only PHB I and II, DMG I and II, and any campaign specific setting book (currently Scarred Lands). I also, as DM, bring in my own 3rd party books for things such as drinking alcohol, other weapons and armor (Arms and Armor 3.5), and the occasional other campaign specific feat/gear (Such as Swashbuckling Adventures).

00Machado

First Post
I'd approach it one of two ways:

1. If the players are chomping at the bit to use some rules widgets, I'd have each pick a few (and I'd pick a few), that we wanted to see use in this game. We'd then build a mini campaign around those elements. I might make them make up a new background for a prestige class, or something. The idea is to give a reason for each of those things to be there, and have a campaign that is memorably different from others.

2. If there's a book that has some widgets that I want to run, I'd just tell the players something like...I want to run a themed campaign. It will use elements from this and that book. Other splat books we'll save until the next game. And then I'd ask them to make characters that fit that theme, and give them access to the new rules elements to pick and choose from (or a sub set of them if that's what makes sense).

Incidentally, I'm less likely to use a splat book for a published setting, unless it's written specifically for that setting, and even then, I don't like the open eneded rule complexity that "all FR splatbooks" might bring, as an example.

Dykstrav

Adventurer
I generally try to accomodate anything a player wants to play (within line of the APL and all that). To me, if a players is willing to spend over $30 on a book, he's pretty interested in playing with the bits in it. I generally let anything in, under the provision that it goes out via the 'poof' method if it proves to be trouble in play.

I also limit each character to two supplements per character, but this is a logistical concern. I just don't want to be flipping through too many books at the table if I have to look something up.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Approval / disapproval on a case-by-case basis. Any publisher, even any system, is a potential source. Emphasis on potential there. :)

Also, many things have been altered to suit my preferences. . . and in some cases, the preferences of my players.

Sometimes, that's a matter of balancing things properly (IMO), and at others it's all about flavour/appropriateness. Whatever. I haven't had a problem with dissatisfied players, wacky rules, or whatnot. So far.

When I DM, players can pick from the PHB and DMG. I'm not that talented a DM and have trouble keeping up with all the goodness outside just those two sources. :p

When I play, I look through everything on my shelves and then usually end up settling on straight-up PHB only material. :)

There's just something about the plain jane PHB and DMG that I find appealing. Haven't gotten bored of the combinations available in either yet.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads