D&D 5E How do you define “mother may I” in relation to D&D 5E?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Just to be clear: in what way was @hawkeyefan's GM running in bad faith, or paying only lip service to principles?

Upthread @FrogReaver and @clearstream asserted that the adjudication of Rustic Hospitality conformed to the rules. And I think they both said that there are no principles of 5e GMing that it violated.
I did not say that. I said that 5e leaves it to the group to have principles; and groups always do have principles, whether or not they articulate them. Thus in every instance of 5e there will principles in play that may be violated.

clearstream

(He, Him)
If the player of the Halfling wants to know what's in the chest, before they disarm the trap on it and open it, they can always examine it closely, and thereby Discern Realities (DW p 68):

When you closely study a situation or person, roll+Wis.​
✴On a 10+, ask the GM 3 questions from the list below.​
✴On a 7–9, ask 1.​
Either way, take +1 forward when acting on the answers.​
• What happened here recently?​
• What is about to happen?​
• What should I be on the lookout for?​
• What here is useful or valuable to me?​
• Who’s really in control here?​
• What here is not what it appears to be?​

Useful and valuable are like threat, opportunity, unwelcome, etc - they are relative to the character as played by the player. A GM who answers "nothing" to the question "What here is useful or valuable to me" isn't playing the game, given that that is not a move on the GM's list of moves.
This doesn't seem quite right for DW. The text of DR reads in part -

"Of course, some questions might have a negative answer, that’s fine. If there really, honestly is nothing useful or valuable here, the GM will answer that question with 'Nothing, sorry'"

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Good faith play was mentioned above, does such good faith play mean the players expectations about what is possible in the game with their moves and abilities matches up with what the rules say is possible?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
The claim to elided steps is interesting. The spell is cast, at a target, and the GM confirms it works. Perhaps that skips steps, but whatever steps those are (checking range, marking spell slots, checking target validity, making saving throws) the GM still has to narrate the outcome of 'it works.' I really don't care what those previous steps are because whatever they are they're sufficient for the GM to say "the spell works on the target." I care about the bit after that -- the GM has indicated that the ability (spell in this case) functioned. Then, without any further play to change that situation, the GM has the target of the charm spell stab the casting PC in the back. Is this bad play?

And, to discharge any notion of the trap now that I'm not on my phone and responding quickly, the idea here is that I do think this would be considered bad play. I'm further convinced you would say the same because of the list above. But how is deploying this spell not the same thing as deploying the Rustic Hospitality ability in the sense that the player has an expectation of how it would work and the GM appears to be bound by how it works.
You attempt to charm a humanoid you can see within range. It must make a Wisdom saving throw, and does so with advantage if you or your companions are fighting it. If it fails the saving throw, it is charmed by you until the spell ends or until you or your companions do anything harmful to it. The charmed creature regards you as a friendly acquaintance. When the spell ends, the creature knows it was charmed by you.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 1st. The creatures must be within 30 feet of each other when you target them.

Player:"I cast charm person DCxx">GM: "it fails the save">????? underpants ???? >GM: "It backstabs you"

The answer to if it's acceptable or not for the gm to use the backstab thing depends on underpants. I either don't understand at all what you are asking. Alternately I understand the question but need details for underpants that might lead to the backstab or need details for what the backstab is that skips over underpants. Possibly some combination of all 3.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Just to be clear: in what way was @hawkeyefan's GM running in bad faith, or paying only lip service to principles?

Upthread @FrogReaver and @clearstream asserted that the adjudication of Rustic Hospitality conformed to the rules. And I think they both said that there are no principles of 5e GMing that it violated.
I said there are no principles but that was solely in relation to written principles and this was contrasted with games that do have written principles.

5e itself has no principles. Each table that plays has their own principles.

Thomas Shey

Legend
There are systems where MMI can't be done until and unless you add "except if you ignore the rules." When looking at a system to determine what play it can create, ignoring the rules seems like a bad approach to evaluate the system.

I'm not sure "Assuming everyone will put the same priority on following the rules in every situation" doesn't seem any better. One ignores the design present, the other assumes the design is sufficient in almost all cases. Neither seem likely to be assessing the reality in the wild very well.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Okay, you're going to have to explain what privilege is implicated here and how that would work, because don't see how noting some games have principles that are part of the rules to play that game and some don't implicates any kind of privilege.

It suggests that games that place their principals heavily on one kind of output here are somehow different in kind and result than those that don't. I don't think that even follows from acknowledging there's a difference in their priorities. Further, associating them with D&D suggests that some of these games are more like D&D than Dungeon World is, which is, at best, a bit of a reach.

Secondly, D&D started the hobby, and the idea of rules as suggestions started with D&D at the same time. So when I say "D&D-born" I literally mean "born with D&D." That, near 50 years on, the market is different really doesn't speak at all to what I was saying. I'm honestly confused with this argument.

I'm arguing that Dungeon World is as D&D-inspired in any general meaning as any number of non PbtA games. D&D, among other things, at one time had no particular expectation that the GM would direct things toward a "story" than does PbtA. That was a relatively latter-day evolution. In that respects, games that actively direct things toward a story are as alien to OD&D as anything in PbtA is, just in a different direction. As such, calling them "D&D-born" either understates the influence on both or overstates the influence on one.

Well, yeah, it was an example, not an exhaustive list.

D&D is, by itself, most of the hobby by volume. If you instead look at individual systems instead of popularity, it's not so clear cut. We can take a pretty solid Trad game, Alien for instance. This game is strongly Trad but has clearly stated principles of play, ones that would work for 5e very well. You are intended to run the game with those principles. That's the intended play. You can, of course, ignore them because there are no RPG police ensuring compliance with game texts. But noting that you can is a weak argument because it doesn't at all imply you should, or that there's gain to doing so. Also, pointing out that some group of people like total chaos is unpersuasive to the argument, because as a matter of game design you are not considering the people that will ignore your design -- what would be the point?

Its not an argument that people like total chaos; its an argument that even among people who play games with avowed principals, only a limited subset consider sticking to those under all circumstances compelling. And that becomes more and more true the farther away you get from a game with a more specific play-cycle intention. There are going to be plenty of people who buy Apocalypse World to run games in a post-apocalypse setting; to the degree staying within its intended principals serve their needs, they'll do so, and to the extent it doesn't, they won't. Any assumption that the majority of people will not ignore your design at least some of the time is a misperception of how games are treated by the majority of people--as tools to an end. And its anything but clear that's a failure of process as long as they mostly get the result they want out of it.

As an example in point, maybe they're using Apocalypse World because they want the relative simplicity, the die range and the making-things-snowball elements, and no one could really care less about the player facing nature of the rules. If so, they'll ignore the latter without a qualm and probably get just what they want out of it.

I guess what I really don't like about your post here is that it's echoing common arguments used to say that system doesn't matter. And that's a valid viewpoint, but it rests on the assumption that it doesn't matter what system you use because the actual system used is going to be GM Says.

Not my argument at all. At worst you could reframe my argument as "Tools are used as they're used." I consider the hobby full of people using the wrong tool for the job they're trying for (if you search for the phrase "You can pound nails with a wrench" you'd probably find my name pop up more than once), but its also full of people using systems in ways absolutely not intended who get good value out of it. The issue is how much thinking the end user has done with what he wants the rules to do and what set he chooses for that purpose, not what the designer of those rules thought would and should be done with it. But that does not mean I think every use of rules does that.

(That said, as an aside, for people genuinely dedicated to "rulings not rules", rules usually don't matter, because all they're using them for is a framework to hang their decision making on them. In extreme cases, they could probably just have people write down a summary of their character concept and roll some die set when questions of success came and adjucate it from their internal model and understanding of the characters and the situation and move on. This is about as far away from what I want that you can't even see it from there, but its clearly result that is both desirable and functional to some people).

It's arguing for a system (GM Says) while dismissing all other systems. And yes, GM Says as a system concept is very basic, but I guess that's it's appeal. I don't share anything at all with people who prefer 'system doesn't matter.' If system matters, then all things about that system matter and should be fairly considered.

Whereas I think system quite matters, but that does not make it unitary in how high a priority it is in what you're doing. Among other things, to make that true requires a fair more schematic system than I want to be in play for it to apply 100% of the time and work properly.

I really don't get "try playing the game as it was designed" to be "all or nothing" and something said that isn't "serv[ing] the discussion well." The set of assumptions for that to be true are pretty tortured, and it's pretty much assuming that this take is in bad faith.

No, it assumes that there's no meaningful middle ground here that is defensible. That requires people to defend specific positions they do not share because of the excluded middle. I am not a fan of a take on running a game that considers mechanics simply a tool of convenience, but neither am I going to be in the corner with assuming they cannot be ignored when they aren't serving the game and players purpose, either.

One issue that people often have when trying to discuss game concepts is ... well, just this. You take a game that you are critiquing (in this case, 5e) and ascribe to it a "bad play example." Then you contrast this with another game and assume that everyone in that game is acting correctly.

....which doesn't work. It's why most of the thoughtful 5e players don't engage in these lengthy ... threads ... with the same conversations. It's pointless to try and discuss a bad example (with some people who don't even play the game) with exemplars from other games.

That said, other people can view games with similar mechanics and come to different conclusions. I am often reminded of an early review of BiTD that stuck with me. Here's the excerpt-

They seem to have been written with little thought to how they would actually work. For example, on page 30 the rules say not to negate a PCs goal with the consequences of a partial success. That’s good advice, but then it goes on to say that if the PCs goal was to corner their enemy, the consequence could be that the enemy is in the corner, but now they have the PC’s gun.

What? That is a level of semantic trickery I would expect from the mythical Sphinx. If a GM did that to me, I would certainly feel like my goal had been negated or that the GM was messing with me. Sure, I technically put my enemy in the corner, but they have my gun now so that doesn’t even matter!

This is hardly the only bizarre example in the book. Page six says that the players have final say over which skill can reasonably be used to solve a problem. That sounds ripe for abuse, but okay, that’s how the game wants to play it. But then page 25 contains an unintuitive workaround through which a GM can declare that an action simply won’t work. So players don’t actually have the final say; they’re just told they do. That’s a recipe for conflict at the table if ever I heard one.

On the bright side, none of these examples dictate how the game is played. They’re examples, and an experienced group can just ignore them. But less experienced GMs won’t know it’s a bad idea to manipulate their players’ intent or tell the players they have final say over something when they do not.

Now you might look at this and think to yourself ... well, this is just the opinion of someone who didn't get the game. If the person ran the game a lot using the proper principles, they'd understand why this isn't that big of an issue! Heck, if everyone at the table is communicating and following the Players' Best Practices and the GM Goals/Actions/Principles/Best Practices/Bad Habits, then everything is fine!

Of course! And there are advantages to having written principles (as opposed to unwritten principles or heuristics or guidelines). But fundamentally, when the comparison is always, "Your bad play experience as opposed to my game where everyone is doing the right thing," then there will be nothing to discuss. This is why, on the very first page, so-called "MMI" was correctly diagnosed not as a playing style but as a critique.

That is exactly what I would say!

People say wrong things about games. People misapply rules or misunderstand key features of games (individual components or the integrated whole). It happens. Your favorite person ever (Ron Edwards) said some things that were absolutely wide of the mark of understanding Blades after his first session. And I had commentary on that (why he was incorrect…it appears that he has since course corrected after his initial play); why it was wrong and how his incorrect interpretation manifested.

But I don’t see how Copy/Pasting someone’s misunderstanding of a moment of action resolution in Blades in the Dark is a helpful meta commentary on what is happening in this thread generally or with my post specifically.

What is happening in this thread generally is (a) a lot of people (most all who have played/run 5e aplenty or can trivially read the text and make inferences because the game doesn’t break any new ground) having divergent opinions on how a particular Background Trait is made manifest in the course of play and (b) the upshot of that manifestation upon play as it pertains to the topic of the thread.

My post looks at a very similar PC ability/move in another fantasy game (an “off-brand D&D”) because it removes key confounds and focuses exclusively on the particular action resolution loop (system’s role vs GM’s role vs player’s role) so as to hone in on the contrast with respect to (a) and (b).

I have no idea what your meta commentary (which appears to be meta commentary of hypothetical play or wrong understanding of the integrated rules of action resolution of a particular game) is supposed to be doing here?

I don’t know what response you’re looking for from me? Are you wanting me to break down why this person’s misunderstanding of Blades is the misunderstanding that it is? Are you implying that there is no useful contrast to draw and examine between the (a) and (b) of each game? Are you saying that thoughtful people aren’t diverging in their opinions on the (a) and (b) of @hawkeyfan ‘s play excerpt (either the people aren’t thoughtful or the divergence isn’t happening)?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Mod Note:

@Snarf Zagyg, you have repeatedly seasoned your posts in this discussion with bon mots that do nothing but escalate tensions, like these:

It's why most of the thoughtful 5e players don't engage in these lengthy ... threads ... with the same conversations.

....these thoughtful people who are so prominent in other threads don't bother communicating in these threads .

Quoting another Mod’s red text admonition in this very thread:
Even if folks have "rubbish ideas" we expect you to treat them well.

You have failed to meet this not-too-difficult standard. This is, to borrow terminology, “Not thoughtful.” Time for you to go have a Snickers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases