D&D 5E How do you do the Shield Spell from a Scroll?

Athinar

Explorer
How do you do the Shield Spell from a Scroll?
If the spell is on your class's spell list you can use an action to read the scroll
Shield
Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you are hit by an attack or targeted by the magic missile spell
Duration: 1 round
An invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start o f your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile.

After Reading the scroll, It is not used until triggered (by a reaction)?

jrowland

First Post
I would say when read as a scroll (as an action), you gain +5 bonus to AC and take no damage from magical missile until the start of your next turn. Basically, you "lose" any reaction "benefit".

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I would suggest leaving it as a reaction so long as the character has the scroll ready to go in one his or her hands.

seebs

Adventurer
I'd say that it would be a really bad idea to turn shield into a spell scroll, since its primary advantage is that it's a reaction.

Heck, I'm not even sure it'd work; you can't cast it except by Using Your Action, but the shield spell's "reaction" type doesn't really allow for casting it as an action.

Athinar

Explorer
I would say when read as a scroll (as an action), you gain +5 bonus to AC and take no damage from magical missile until the start of your next turn. Basically, you "lose" any reaction "benefit".

I was thinking the same but not losing the Reaction because you cast the spell as a action, but the casting a second "Shield" would not add to the already cast Shield

I agree for future game supplements not to place a "Shield Spell" in a scroll but when you are running past supplements you will have scrolls with Shield

plus if you never but the Shield spell on a scroll the Wizard would almost never find the spell shield except in a dead wizard spell book

Last edited:

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Someone in another thread mentioned that the scroll rules have received errata in a more recent printing of the Dungeon Master's Guide so that using a spell scroll is always the same type of action as casting the spell on it would normally be.

Athinar

Explorer
That means I can take a scroll out and cast it as a Reaction, does not make common sense (not in the Player's Handbook Errata, nor in the Sage Advice Compendium Nov 15)

Last edited:

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
That means I can take a scroll out and cast it as a Reaction, does not make common sense (not in the Player's Handbook Errata)
I may have misread the post in question, and I can't remember what thread it was in so we'll likely have to wait until this month's Sage Advice to see for sure - however, game rules don't have to "make common sense", they just have to make playing the game possible.

SnakeEyes097

Villager
EDIT: As my girlfriend pointed out, it takes an action to use a scroll (DMG p. 200) so in this case I would have the scroll rule supersede the spell rule. I'd say in this case he'd have to use the scroll in advance.
"If the spell is on your class's spell list you can use an action to read the scroll and cast its spell effect."

I would probably not use reaction spells as scrolls, and if they are given out in the adventure I would likely change it to something similar, such as a Scroll of Mage Armor.

Last edited:

Mercule

Adventurer
It gets dicey. I don't know that there's anything really unbalanced about allowing it as a reaction, assuming you already have it in hand. It just feels weird. I just can't envision reading a scroll as a quick-cast activity.

Thinking through it, what does make sense is to allow it as a readied action. If you see a guy you know has a wand of magic missiles, you can whip out the scroll and have a stand-off with him. Not the most productive of encounters, but I could see it in some circumstances.

Remove ads