• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Do You Feel About Published Adventures as a GM?

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
As much as I dislike them, I can't entirely agree with "sad." If the people who run and play them enjoy them, I have no problem with that. No table I'm not at needs to cater to my tastes.
I'm only sad in the sense that I miss the alternate reality where talented people had put their creative energy towards something I like better.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Thank you. Getting a little tired of the attitude that things folks dont like shouldn't be made at all around here.

I'm only sad in the sense that I miss the alternate reality where talented people had put their creative energy towards something I like better.

I think we can have it both ways. That is what Open Gaming and 3PPs are for. WotC is only making what is going to sell enough to justify its existence. Marvel used to do the same thing, cutting profitable titles for not being profitable enough. WotC puts out what it puts out, most of it pretty mediocre, but at least you know what you are getting and it almost always looks gorgeous, so there is that.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I can see that--but there are clearly people who enjoy the published adventures, and in that alternate reality would be sad because talented people weren't putting their creative energy toward something they liked better.

I mean, in many ways, I agree with you. I'd rather see the creative energy go into material that'd help tables make their own adventures, I think pre-scripted adventures are wasting most of the strongest strengths of TRPGs; but if more people are enjoying the game running and playing published adventures than would be otherwise, I can't call that a bad thing.

TheSword

Legend
It’s also important to remember, lots of people just want to sit down and play games and don’t have an experienced DM to write one.

A published adventure fulfills a very real and pressing need for many many new or casual groups. That couldn’t give two hoots about the ecological habits of a hydra. Or whether that thing that NPC X owns is in their room or on their person.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
I can see that--but there are clearly people who enjoy the published adventures, and in that alternate reality would be sad because talented people weren't putting their creative energy toward something they liked better.
All things considered, I still find it more important for ME to be happy than other people. :)

You can always try to advocate for the most utilitarian option that brings the most happiness to the most people, but sometimes it's OK to be selfish and just advocate for what you really want.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads