D&D General How Do You Feel About Sigil?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I love Sigil when I'm running a Planescape game. But I haven't used it since 2e, my games since then either have not gone to the planes or been in settings in different cosmologies (like Eberron).

I like Sigil when the factions are a focus of the game, not so much as just a planar hub.

FriendlyFiend

Explorer
I adore Sigil. It’s my favourite city setting and I’ve had a whole lot of fun there, going back to the 90s. As others have said, it’s fantastically useful as a planar setting that works well from 1st level upward. I must admit, I suspect 30 years of living in London have biased me in its favour - the two cities definitely share an atmosphere at times.

I love Sigil when I'm running a Planescape game. But I haven't used it since 2e, my games since then either have not gone to the planes or been in settings in different cosmologies (like Eberron).

I like Sigil when the factions are a focus of the game, not so much as just a planar hub.
Someone took Sigil and made it into a forged in the dark game. I'm really curious as to how it turned out

Stormonu

Legend
It’s just another big fantasy city - D&D has plenty, from Sharn, Waterdeep, City of Brass to Ptoltus and Sigil.

I’m not much for big cities myself being from a small town, and most of my game action happens in the dungeon, occasionally in the wilderness.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I'm not a fan, but I'm not sure it's Sigil's fault.

I dislike Planescape for it's love of alignment, it's weird focus on alignment-based philosophy and the darker and edgier books I ended up reading set there when I was younger. Plus I hate the Great Wheel. It doesn't help that Planescape is the planar setting to intrude on the core instead of Spelljammer, which I find way more interesting.

And then there's the Lady of Pain. I hate her character. Untouchable, always wins, and is generally the very 90's trope of a character who is overtly evil but the writer says she's actually important, so we give them a pass.

Sigil isn't that bad on its own, it's just the vehicle that delivers Planescape and LoP into the core and I don't appreciate that.

Interesting city to be visited but not to live there.

It is right to start with low-level characters in a campaign about the planes. It offers enough space to can add any thing. Sigil was totally exotic+freak fantasy, like watching today an episode of Ricky & Morty.

But I miss the forgotten potential of the Gatetowns. Maybe the faction war could continue here.

I have said some times maybe after Baldurs' Gate III the next will be Planescape II.

How do you feel about Sigil? H
Blah!

Though I have never played there or run a Planescape campaign etc. I've never liked the idea. Lots of reasons, but my feelings are negative.

To me it's always come across as a near god / end campaign setting. i.e. how could/would a party of low level characters ever survive here? Or even get there? And now you have a city of many many thousands of high level NPCs running around. Just doesn't match my desire for a D&D campaign setting.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I never had much use for Planescape; I loved Spelljammer, and Planescape always seems like the unnecessarily gritty 90s version of that.

Correspondingly, I always found Sigil a bit uninspired. For my money, there's nothing Sigil can do that the City of Brass can't do more interestingly. I even created/included a City of Brass gazetteer in an adventure I write a couple do years back, hewing very closely to the 2e incarnation of the city. I even commissioned a custom poster nap of the city to include with the adventure.

DMSGuild: Midnight in the City of Brass

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I love Sigil, planescape was a favourite setting of mine and Sigil was the centre point of the setting. I think Sigil is a better city than the other planar sites as I see it as somewhere that you can set up shop, whereas places like the githyanki city or the city of brass are more locations that you visit as part of an adventure. I normally try to fit in Sigil in my homebrew settings, it may or may not be in the same place as the central spire in the outlands, but it will be there.

Remove ads