How do you find players for non-D&D games?

ccs

41st lv DM
Finding players for non-D&D is pretty easy for me. I play RPGs in an extended circle of twenty some gamers who have no qualms about playing other systems. Not everyone likes everything though....
Between us we've usually got about 5 things running (often with overlapping players).
So as a game/campaign is nearing completion & thoughts turn to "What do we want next?" we float ideas & then, depending upon what gets picked/who's in for it, make a list of additional people to invite.

That's quite controversial, and depends upon a lot of variables, including the game system.

Controversial? Sure, there are concerns, and they vary by game system, but most long-time gamers that I know have some fond memories of solo adventures. I’ve run plenty of sessions for single players, including in every edition of D&D. Urban adventures with a thief can be particularly fun.

Steve Jackson Games even experimented with GURPS adventures that could be run with only a single player and no GM (part of the GURPS Conan series). I have fond memories of working my way through those.

I agree that I don’t enjoy it as much as group play and that one must adapt different systems a bit, but I’d say it’s fairly commonplace.

aramis erak

Legend
Controversial? Sure, there are concerns, and they vary by game system, but most long-time gamers that I know have some fond memories of solo adventures. I’ve run plenty of sessions for single players, including in every edition of D&D. Urban adventures with a thief can be particularly fun.

Steve Jackson Games even experimented with GURPS adventures that could be run with only a single player and no GM (part of the GURPS Conan series). I have fond memories of working my way through those.

I agree that I don’t enjoy it as much as group play and that one must adapt different systems a bit, but I’d say it’s fairly commonplace.
Most of the people I know (FTF) who GM hate 1-on-1 gaming. From what I've seen, 1 or 2 players and a GM is under 50% willing to participate. I've seen a lot of players walk because there weren't 4 players at AL tables...
It's something to warn new GM's about - Trying 1-2 player may or may not be fun, but the dynamics of 3-4 players are so totally different that one should not abandon hopes of GMing just because 1-2 player sucked. For the few who genuinely like it, 1-2 can be spectacular; for those who don't like it, it can literally be torturously bad.
Dismissiveness about it doesn't do either side any favors.

For me, anything with niche protections is untolerable with 1, and problematic with 2.
My youngest has discovered she hates anything less than 4 as player or GM... (Which is quite ironic, given her social phobia and anxiety.)

Arilyn

Hero
Most of the people I know (FTF) who GM hate 1-on-1 gaming. From what I've seen, 1 or 2 players and a GM is under 50% willing to participate. I've seen a lot of players walk because there weren't 4 players at AL tables...
It's something to warn new GM's about - Trying 1-2 player may or may not be fun, but the dynamics of 3-4 players are so totally different that one should not abandon hopes of GMing just because 1-2 player sucked. For the few who genuinely like it, 1-2 can be spectacular; for those who don't like it, it can literally be torturously bad.
Dismissiveness about it doesn't do either side any favors.

For me, anything with niche protections is untolerable with 1, and problematic with 2.
My youngest has discovered she hates anything less than 4 as player or GM... (Which is quite ironic, given her social phobia and anxiety.)
One one one gaming is gaining popularity, because of the challenges in forming groups. It's especially common with couples. I enjoy it immensely, using buddy NPCs to fill things out, or just one character in a lone hero kinda way.

I'm thinking one player is better than not playing at all. Even 5e has advice for it in their new essentials kit. Cthulhu one to one, from Pelgrane is a blast. Intense but awesome.

Anyway, it was suggested as an option, for someone struggling to find a group.

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
When I joined a GURPS group in the late 2000s, I had seen the GM's flyer on the door of a brewery I frequented. At first I skipped it, then a week or so later, after coming back from doing something else I remembered to check if the flyer was still there. It was, I tore off a slip, and I called the GM later that day.

I think the advice to focus to what game you actually want to run, or even three you want to run is a good idea. Give a little bit of information about the kind of game you want to run for each, and perhaps a simplification of the kind of rules it uses.

As for D&D-only people, well they wouldn't play anyway, so they've already self selected themselves out.

Remove ads