• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How do you generate ability scores for PCs?

How do you generate ability scores?

• Standard (27 point) buy

Votes: 38 37.6%
  • Standard roll 4d6 drop lowest, no re-rolls

Votes: 21 20.8%
  • Choose either of the standard systems (no rerolls if 4d6 drop)

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Roll 4d6, reroll low rolls or roll multiple times

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Assign stats however you feel

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 29 28.7%

Oofta

Legend
The stats don't matter with regard to play balance. They matter for preference in that they better model a realistic character. Arrays/point buy tend to make the vast majority of fighters stupid and/or uncharismatic. That's absurd, but it's what the array/point buy environment creates.

No, that's what people assigning points as they see fit does. The only absurdity here is that you insist on claiming that your one-true-wayism is some kind of mystical truth.

We all have preferences. I don't care if you roll for stats, but it's annoying that you feel compelled to slam people for generating stats differently.

Oofta

Legend
If you can't see that it's a fact that everyone using the exact same numbers to build classes that use the same primary stats is an environment that encourages cookie cutter stats, I really don't know what to tell you. You have blinders on for sure.

Multiple people positing that their groups don't do that is like them being one of the less common rainy/cloudy days in California. It happens. It's not rare. It doesn't mean that arrays/point buy don't create an environment rich in cookie cutter stats for characters.

So people putting their high stat in their class's primary ability is now your definition of cookie cutter? :confused:

As far as everyone using "exactly the same numbers" ... it's BS. I've had characters that start with a primary stat as low as 14 and as high as 17. True, randomly rolling changes the range a little bit, but people are still going to emphasize what they think is important for their class.

I guess everyone I play with is just lying when they say that some fighters are strength based, others are dex, some have high intelligence while others high charisma or wisdom. Or, I don't know, maybe you're mistaken.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
No, that's what people assigning points as they see fit does. The only absurdity here is that you insist on claiming that your one-true-wayism is some kind of mystical truth.

How about you see if you can find a single instance where I say my way is the one true way. Then quote it here. I'll wait.

We all have preferences. I don't care if you roll for stats, but it's annoying that you feel compelled to slam people for generating stats differently.

I haven't slammed a single person. I never said you created cookie cutter. I never said you were bad for point buy/arrays.

How about you just deal with what I say, rather than inventing and then accusing me of things I haven't done?

You seem to be taking this waaaaaaay too personally and it's skewed your ability to look objectively at what I am saying.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So people putting their high stat in their class's primary ability is now your definition of cookie cutter? :confused:

::sigh:: More of the same from you. Go back and re-read my posts objectively.

As far as everyone using "exactly the same numbers" ... it's BS. I've had characters that start with a primary stat as low as 14 and as high as 17. True, randomly rolling changes the range a little bit, but people are still going to emphasize what they think is important for their class.

Never said you did. Never even implied it. Go back and re-read my posts objectively.

I guess everyone I play with is just lying when they say that some fighters are strength based, others are dex, some have high intelligence while others high charisma or wisdom.

See above.

Or, I don't know, maybe you're mistaken.

Nah! Much more likely is the fact that I was never talking about you. ;)

Arial Black

Adventurer
Point buy just gives you freedom to play the character you want to play

Er...this is provably untrue!

I want to play a PC with six 15s.

Or with one 18.

Or with one 7.

Or with stats with a point-buy value other than 27 (or whatever total you choose).

In fact, point-buy is incredibly restrictive in the amount of allowed combinations versus the much bigger number of disallowed combinations.

Ti-bob

Explorer
I use cards (twelves cards numerated 4, 5, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7, 7, 8, 8, 9 and 9):

1) Shuffles.
2) Deals 6 stacks of 2 cards.
3) Optionnaly, you may swap any 2 cards. Once.
4) Assign each stack to any stat.
5) Adds numbers.
6) Write the number to the stat.

The best of the two worlds (randomly generated stat and point-buy system)!

Oofta

Legend
How about you see if you can find a single instance where I say my way is the one true way. Then quote it here. I'll wait.

Well ... "it's a fact that everyone using the exact same numbers to build classes that use the same primary stats "

And you state that point buy is "absurd" because "the vast majority of fighters are stupid and/or uncharismatic".

Telling people that their preferred method of generating character is "absurd" is insulting.

Yes, if people put stats where they want, they are going to ***GASP*** put a low stat for their fighter in Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma ... unless they're a dex based fighter then swap dex for strength.

Maybe you want all your stats to be above average. Maybe you like it when one person at the table has stats of a demi-god while the next person has stats of Pee-Wee Herman. I don't care.

Oofta

Legend
I was just curious what percentage of people chose what method. Apologies everyone for getting sidetracked, it's been interesting seeing some of the options people use.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Well ... "it's a fact that everyone using the exact same numbers to build classes that use the same primary stats "

You're seriously arguing that everyone that uses the same numbers for the same stats are not cookie cutter with stats? Putting the same high numbers in the primary stats results in the same low numbers in the other stats. Further that statement only says everyone that does cookie cutter is cookie cutter. Not everyone period.

Try again.

And you state that point buy is "absurd" because "the vast majority of fighters are stupid and/or uncharismatic".

Yes. It is absolutely absurd to think that the vast majority of fighters are uncharismatic. Realism says otherwise. High charisma would be as common as low charisma among fighters in a realistic population. It's only skewed that way in a very unrealistic (ie absurd) population.

Telling people that their preferred method of generating character is "absurd" is insulting.

I never once said that. I said that cookie cutter characters are absurd, not the method of generation. Get it straight. If you refuse to step back and view things objectively, at least make your wild guesses accurate. I'm getting very tired of you twisting things that I am saying.

Maybe you want all your stats to be above average. Maybe you like it when one person at the table has stats of a demi-god while the next person has stats of Pee-Wee Herman. I don't care.

It seems you don't care about bothering to understand the posts you read, either.

Remove ads