• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you go about making your own world?

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Well, I started Urbis by thinking about the themes of the world. But you probably don't intend your setting for eventual professional publication, and thus you can do a simpler approach.

Instead, think about the main villain of your campaign (or at least the first major campaign arc). An evil necromancer? A terrible monster? An orc warlord? Come up with something that strikes you as cool.

Then think about his resources, and his long-term plans. What does he want to do? Raise an undead army? Kill every human (or elf, or dwarf) in a region? Conquer a kingdom? Destroy the world?

And what does he have to do to achieve that goal? After all, he probably doesn't have all the resources neccessary for his plans to come to frution - so he needs to acquire them somehow. And for this he has hordes of henchmen, goons, and unwitting patsies who further his plans without even knowing it.

Now think of a small unsignificant town - possibly even a village - where the PCs can start in. Describe it in some detail. List important NPCs and create some interesting local legends which might or might not become important later (you don't have to decide yet whether they will become important - but if you eventually do decide to use them, your players will think you a genius for planning everything that far ahead). Create some interesting adventure locations.

Then think of how the big plots of the villain can interact with this community. It doesn't have to be a very important part of his plans - in fact, it probably shouldn't be, since otherwise the opposition might become overwhelming - but some minor henchmen should be active in this town, allowing the PCs to foil him and learning the first tantalizing hints of the larger issues at stake in the campaign.

You should also create a page or so of things that the PCs know about the rest of the world - what the kingdom they are in is called and who rules it, where the capital and the closest major cities are, and what gods are commonly being worshipped (with portfolio and domains - but if a player with a PC cleric doesn't want to play a follower of one of these deities, work out a new one in cooperation with that player), and places where non-human PCs can come from (if they aren't native to the community). But you don't really have to go into much detail at this stage - just enough to give them a sense of the larger world around them without handing them an encyclopedia.

Then go through character creation. Encourage the PCs to come up with background stories (possibly even given them minor XP awards for them - 100-200 XP should be okay). Their ideas will help you flesh out the world and give you ideas for more adventures.

With this, you should be set for starters. Just make up the rest as you go along - it shouldn't be too hard.

Incidentally, if you have trouble creating maps, I have created a nifty map workshop here at ENWorld...

Fat Daddy

First Post
I use a combination of what I see here in the post. The two main being, start small and work out, and a top-down approach. I tend to have a general outline of the entire world (or at least the known world) and a highly detailed small area where the PC's start. I like this because I can then develop the world WITH the players. If Bob is playing a cleric of God X then I basically give him a list of domains and a short paragraph about the god/church. About 90% of the time, Bob will come back and say, "does the church do/allow this?" My response is, "You tell me, write it up." I usually receive a detailed several page (or longer) document on the church (specific church, whole religion or whatever Bob was asking about). I review and edit it (if needed) and usually it becomes 'canon'.
This seems to work great. It takes some of the work off of me and allows the players to become vested and care about the world. After all, they helped create it.
By keeping with the general outline format, I can add things as needed without changing past history as well. Over the years, the world will become so detailed it will be time to create a new one! :)
JMHO

Nomad4life

First Post
The most enjoyable worlds are the ones built with player input- Just ask them what they are looking for when they game; adventure on the high seas? Swathing across uncharted deserts? Tepidly exploring the mysterious ruins of a highly advanced missing race? Paranormal whodunit? Covert military intrigue? Falls from grace and unconventional redemptions? A sanity melting Cthulhuian romance saga?

Get the primordial soup of possibility, and simmer that down into themes. Let the world become outward manifestations of these themes and desires. A world is after all a stage, and a stage is an interrelated grouping of sets.

Don’t be afraid to let the world dramatically change over time with the addition and subtractions of new players, and new input. Build the new on top of the old.

bodhi

First Post
Nomad4life said:
A sanity melting Cthulhuian romance saga?
"Oh, it's been so long! I've missed you so, Has..."
"Shh. Don't speak. Just wrap your tentacles around me."

You've broken my head.

taliesin15

First Post
Some awesome ideas on this thread...since most everything has been covered, I'll make two simple suggestions:

a) Design a small town to be the initial urban area for adventuring. This way its not as much work as a large city.

b) in the initial setting, have a variety of terrains (and thus adventure types) surrounding the town. Who knows what your players will gravitate towards? This way, its all there, plus it gives you the opportunity to think about what sort of monsters/tribes etc. are around there.

Good advice. A small town at the base of a mountain pass at the uppermost navigable point on a river was my campaign's primary nexus. It gave them mountains to the south, plains to the east, hills & farms on the west, and a river heading due north.

They have lots of opportunity for different campaigns; places at transitions (headwaters, passes, edge of desert, etc) are rife with caravans, guilds, merchants, and thieves. Rumors of legendary items/places/people comes from both sides of the border.

Remove ads