D&D 5E How do you handle a skill check if needed.

How do you as GM handle as skill check if it is needed.

• They just declare they rolling a skill check

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • They must give a reason why they are rolling a skill check

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • They must use the "magic words" for me to allow a skill check

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • If they use the "Magic words", I give a bonus

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • No skill checks allowed at all.

Votes: 4 15.4%

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
And here I thought Morrus went to all that trouble for the improved performance!
This probably belongs in meta, by threadbans are actually a super useful moderation tool. It kinda sucks when your only means of punitive action are warnings and varying lengths of suspension/ban. Being able to keep someone who is otherwise well-behaved from posting in a thread they just can’t seem to play nice in is a tremendous boon.

G

Guest 6801328

This probably belongs in meta, by threadbans are actually a super useful moderation tool. It kinda sucks when your only means of punitive action are warnings and varying lengths of suspension/ban. Being able to keep someone who is otherwise well-behaved from posting in a thread they just can’t seem to play nice in is a tremendous boon.

(I know...I was trying to be funny.)

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
For my part "What is this thing?" or "What is a troll?" are absolutely valid questions, but will give more general information (at a lower DC) than "How do you kill a troll?" or "How does its regeneration work?". This is much the same as "Who is this guy?" will give less specific information than "What is his connection to the Cult of the Dragon Below?" when considering a given NPC on a History check. Generally if someone beats the DC by 5 or more on a more general check I'll also allow them something more specific they want to know.

Part of the reason I use this approach is I want to reward planning ahead, scouting, and research on threats as well as model that in the heat of battle it is not always the easiest to recall highly specific information.

Remove ads