How do you handle NPCs as a Tiefling?

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I eat them ....
Or use them to channel your dark-lord father?
lord-of-darkness.jpg

You are playing as a Tiefling Wizard/Warlock/Sorcerer (the point is, you look like a magic user and a demon). . .
How do you do this? (Remember, you look like a Wizard as well so NPCs might think that you are either trying to deceive them as a Demon or a Wizard if you start acting clever or ask a lot of questions.)
You could just shame everyone who judges you. People hate that. "You lookin' at me? Racist!"

If that doesn't work, I'd trade out my wizardy-looking attire for some peasanty, rough-spun clothes. Peasants have all sorts of health problems, so I'd just blame the horns on eating an apple that starting growing into an apple tree in my head. The skin tone? Obvious. Field work.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Take the Warlock invocation that lets you Disguise Self 24/7 for free. Only drop the disguise when you want Advantage on an Intimidate "attack" roll ("Sygdalken, I call on your power!"). Call your disguised self Mr. Jekyl and your real self Mr. Hyde.

Tallifer

Hero
You are playing as a Tiefling Wizard/Warlock/Sorcerer (the point is, you look like a magic user and a demon).

Magic users are practically non-existent but aren't unheard of, the populous is just uniformed of magic.

Your Tiefling has the typical traits of a Tiefling (so male/female, red skin, pointy horns, a tail etc.)

and your Tiefling has a Neutral Good alignment and doesn't want to scare people/or have to resort to threats. (Part of the reason to play this character would be to play the ironic role of "good demon" so changing races, roles or appearance would defeat the point of trying to play this character)

How do you do this? (Remember, you look like a Wizard as well so NPCs might think that you are either trying to deceive them as a Demon or a Wizard if you start acting clever or ask a lot of questions.)
Your describing a catch-22 in any game I have run or played in. Just like players who try to persuade the dungeon master that everyone should accept their flameskull necromancer as a good guy.
The only sensible resolutions I have experienced are 1) a world of magic and diversity like Eberron or Oz where tieflings are just another quirky race; or 2) the "tiefling" does not look or smell like a devil.
The "good devil" works fine in a Star Warsy world or Terry Pratchetty world. In a more classic pseudo-mediaeval world, little devils make better villains.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I think if we wanted to be honest, the first issue is looks, not profession. Tieflings look like monsters, and the worst kind of monster at that. Anyone who wants to play one in a campaign setting that isn't really cosmopolitan needs to accept that there will be issues. I think that makes for great role playing, but you need to play the NPCs straight up. Winning people over, especially if the village/town/whatever is the regular home base, is a great personal story arc for the Tiefling. If the player doesn't want to deal with that they should pick another race. They knew the setting when they made the character right?

I played a teifling actor who would wear makeup and shave his horns. (And wear hats or goggles to hide the nubs)

Probably a lot of ways to handle it. Tell people "This is why you don't mess around with magic" and point to your face. People will assume that a spell went awry and made you that way.
When people accuse you of being a demon, you could act confused, and then pretend to freak-out when you see your reflection in the mirror/glass/water. Then you desperately ask the person who pointed it out to help you until they go away/give you money.
You could act SUPER suspicious, like, suspiciously suspicious. Tell everyone to look at you and focus on you, and make them think that you are some sort of distraction. They'll rush back to their homes to make sure they're not being robbed. Especially good when you're escaping. "Yes, everyone, come, follow me... into the darkness of the woods..." I know i wouldn't follow after that guy, he's up to something.
You could tell them that you had an exorcism, and apparently this happens sometimes. Demon on the outside is better than demon on the inside, or so the cleric says.
Convince an ally to get a face-tattoo. I'm sure 50% of the questions you get will be redirected to that guy. (Worked on Baccano!)
Insist that the other guy looks like a demon, and that you look normal. This one only works if you're alone with one guy, or gullible groups.
Buy a disguise kit, and put some poor-quality demon prosthesis on, like vampire teeth and papermache horns. People will think its just a poor quality costume, and if they ask you about it, you can just take out your fake teeth and say "See, costume."
Convince your whole group to go with a "Demon-Theme," and wear red and fake horns. People will just think you're the most diehard cosplayer of the group.
Constantly be promoting a Carnival that is coming to town, along with other "Freaks." When someone yells that you are a demon, shout out, "Rawr! I am the Demon, come see me at the Goldshire Carnival, alongside the one-eyed man and the bearded lady! Only two copper! Petting zoo for the children! Rawr!"

Or do what I screamed into Frankenstein the first time i read it, which was: "Wear a mask, you idiot, so they can't see your awful, awful face..." Frankenstein's monster coulda saved alotta hardship with that one. Just tell them you're terribly disfigured and can't take it off.

Last edited:

Shiroiken

Legend
I'm planning on playing a teifling in my next campaign, and while I will be a warlock, I don't plan on advertising this fact. Since I'm proficient in light armor and social skills, I plan on attaching myself to a more prominent PC (either a noble, knight, or cleric/paladin of a good deity), serving as a herald and advisor. My armor will have heraldry signifying who I "belong to," so everyone should assume that my "master" will keep me in check.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I'm planning on playing a teifling in my next campaign, and while I will be a warlock, I don't plan on advertising this fact. Since I'm proficient in light armor and social skills, I plan on attaching myself to a more prominent PC (either a noble, knight, or cleric/paladin of a good deity), serving as a herald and advisor. My armor will have heraldry signifying who I "belong to," so everyone should assume that my "master" will keep me in check.

now this is a good idea, I like the idea of a Paladin and his 'pet' demon-penitent. t
The Paladin gets to look both powerful and merciful and the Tiefling gets a bit of social mobility and even the chance to be heroic.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases