How do you incorporate checks?

ElfGunner

First Post
Howdy, I am going to be co-DMing my first campaign in a few weeks and was wondering, how do you incorporate all the checks for skills and such? Last year at school we played with another first time DM and never really used many of our skills. I figured that was because of the first time nature and what not, but I didn't have a good example of how to incorporate skills.

I ask this because sometimes I think it would interrupt the flow of action so to speak by randomally saying, ok the boat swayed, everyone make a balance check, when character conversation was taking place. Maybe this is a silly question, but rack it up to a first timer. Thanks guys

Not a silly question at all.. and welcome to the boards!
This is a pretty good place to check your gaming choices before hitting the players with them.

Regarding skill checks, a couple simple rules:

1> Only use when dramatically interesting... using a Jump check to leap the bush on the way to empty out the garbage is boring..
2> Try to set up your session where an encounter or two has the potential for a skill check.. like fighting on a swaying bridge
3> Don't artificially run up the DC's because you think the players need challenged. If you have a character with a Climb skill of 10 doesn't mean rough rock walls no longer exist. Let them enjoy being good at something.

Main point.. nothing as a GM should *appear* random., except of course the dice results... if those don't *appear* random you may be in trouble :lol:

Dross Swordra

First Post
For certain skills, it is sometimes nice for the DM to have a set of pre generated rolls behind the screen. Then as opportunities for skills come up you can secretly determine a players success. This is most useful for roleplaying skills (sense motive and the like). Basically usefull anytime a DM would normally give away the answer by asking the player to make a skill check.

-Dross

Stalker0

Legend
Primitive Screwhead said:
1> Only use when dramatically interesting... using a Jump check to leap the bush on the way to empty out the garbage is boring..
3> Don't artificially run up the DC's because you think the players need challenged. If you have a character with a Climb skill of 10 doesn't mean rough rock walls no longer exist. Let them enjoy being good at something.

These are both very good points, especially number 3. As a DM, we have a tendency (especially as levels get higher) to want to challenge our players all of the time. But there are times you just have to let the players be the man and overcome easily. For instance, if you have one really good spot monkey in your group, your party is going to rarely be ambushed. That's life, don't start raising your spot checks artificially (this is probably the most abused DM rampup, I've seen/heard plenty of dms with crazy high spot dcs to see things, I've even done it myself on occasion).

Lastly, make sure to encourage your players to use the take 10 rule. It speeds up the game, greatly. I also try to use it to make players feel good about their skills.

"Bob, that's going to be a DC 15 climb check. But you have a +5 in climb, just take 10 and you'll get up their no problem. Dennis, ouch you only have a +3, roll it, I hope you make it:)"

reanjr

First Post
For physical activities, I usually require a roll. For social interaction, or character knowledge, I usually just go by how many ranks the character has.

ElfGunner

First Post
I appreciate the help, and the point of letting the PC's "be the man" is well noted. I remember in the last campaign I was a bard, (yeah I don't know why I did that, I just like to role play, thats why I am going to be a fighter this time around lol) and I loved not even having to roll in my perform checks because my skill was ridiculous.

I guess I ask like things with spot or listen checks, wouldn't that kind of give away, say an ambush or something? Bob is walking along, ok roll a spot, what for, no reason..

I guess the other reason I ask is I had thought about the pre planned episodes that skills could be used, wouldn't that kind of be forcing my PC's hand?

The other thing, I have been reading some of the PbP games, which by the way, really enjoyed, and it seems like many of the skill checks are pretty randomally initiated by the PC's and creativity of the DM can allow them. How can I get my PC's (most of whom are still relatively new) to start forcing their own skill checks?

Sorry about all the questions, this has just been a big question mark for this upcoming campaign.

Oh thanks for the welcome, I have enjoyed coming here and blowing some spare time the last few weeks.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
ElfGunner said:
I

I guess I ask like things with spot or listen checks, wouldn't that kind of give away, say an ambush or something? Bob is walking along, ok roll a spot, what for, no reason..

I keep everyone's spot and listen checks noted on a card clipped to the screen and make them in secret in this kind of case.

Some DMs ask their players to roll 10 or 20 such checks ahead of time and simply check the list when the time comes.

Also, if checking to see who gets surprised and who doesn't - feel free to let the players roll their spot/listen checks - as those who fail them won't be able to act in the surprise round anyway.

irdeggman

First Post
lukelightning said:
Sometimes I just assume the PCs are taking 10 on spot and listen (which I've combined into one skill, "notice.")

I would never allow a character to take 10 on a skill that is not active. To me that is like saying you keep your Dex bonus when you are flat footed - they are not "ready" or "engaged" in the activity at hand.

In the case of avoiding surprise or something unforseen I don't see how a character can "take extra care" when it is a reflexive check.

Now if they are actively performing the skill (usually a standard action) then that is a different story.

The other points above are very good ones IMO.

I also don't require checks all of the time - somethings are just routine and shouldn't require any to be made.

Thanee

First Post
In many cases, the skill modifier can also be used to judge how good a character is at something without rolling at all.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads