How do you learn best?

Some questions and comments by a new coaching client about how they learned best prompted some introspection into my own learning style. It caused me to realize that the way I first learned to play D&D was perfect for me. Are you learning in the way that is best for you?

Some questions and comments by a new coaching client about how they learned best prompted some introspection into my own learning style. It caused me to realize that the way I first learned to play D&D was perfect for me. Are you learning in the way that is best for you?

I took on a new client this week, and she was asking me how we would structure our actual coaching sessions. This is a tough question for me to answer because I am driven to tailor my coaching to the individual client. Many of my clients are located far away (sometimes different continents) and that limits meetings to phone calls or video chats (I much prefer the latter in those cases - I like looking people in the eye).

This new client is local though, so I wanted to make sure we met in person if at all possible. I mentioned another local client whom I not only meet in person but while we walk, because fitness is one of his personal goals. She responded by saying she was the kind of person who learned best while doing a physical activity, so she liked the idea of walking while coaching. No problem.

It got me thinking about how I learn best. I don’t think I need to walk while doing it, but I’m very focused on practical application ahead of theory. So it’s important to me to get the chance to employ whatever it is I’m learning as soon as possible. Perhaps doing so right in the middle of the teaching.

Note: My editor pointed out to me there is quite a bit of research on learning styles. Lots of further information and useful links can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learning_styles#Neil_Fleming.27s_VAK.2FVARK_model

Thus, whenever I get a new computer game, I spend just a few minutes (probably during the install) reading the manual. But once I have the very basic stuff understood, I’m gonna crank that sucker up and play. And probably fail. Learning lessons by failure is very effective for me.

Gradually I’ll figure out what I’m doing wrong. I will probably hit a wall where I can’t figure out how to do something. That’s when I’ll go back to the manual or (more likely) do a quick search online. Tutorials by people on YouTube come in very handy, and there are typically tons of them out there. In that way, I can usually get specific advice on the problem I’m having and get right back to having fun.

All of this has me thinking back to when I was first learning about roleplaying. In fact, I don’t think I knew the term “roleplaying” for quite a while. I was simply learning D&D.

My first exposure to the game was during a Boy Scout camping trip. A bunch of the older scouts were gathered in a big tent playing some game, and I got to sit in the corner and listen. I was immediately fascinated by what was going on. There was no game board, but everybody had a sheet of paper with all the details of one particular character. Using a flashlight, they were rolling dice to determine whether their actions worked or not. But there seemed to be no real limits on what they could try.

It was awesome and I wanted to start playing the game right away. One of the friendlier guys took me aside to teach me. I didn’t realize it at the time, but his technique was nearly perfect for me. He spent no time trying to teach me any rules about play. I’d already observed that anyway and had some idea of how it worked. Instead he said, “You need to roll up a character.”

I got right down to business and rolled up my very first D&D character, a Thief named Mognol Stickyfingers. As an aside, Stickyfingers is a terrible, terrible name for a Thief. It doesn’t engender trust with the rest of the party. Regardless, I now had a character and the guided creation process enabled me to learn much more quickly than if I’d sat down and read a chunk of the rules.

Over the next few months, I got a chance to play a few sessions here and there with the group of players who had introduced me to D&D. I would later come to realize terms like “power gaming,” “Monty Haul,” and “adversarial DM” were invented to describe these guys. But it didn’t matter yet because I was still diving right in, learning, and having tons of fun. Soon, however, I started to feel like I would run the game differently if I was in charge. The aforementioned adversarial DM wasn’t about to give up any of his power, so I had to look elsewhere for people to play with.

I began gaming with my little sister, who was a captive audience at home during the summer. I had received a Red Box for my birthday and jumped right in to being her DM with only the vaguest of ideas as to what I was doing. I was probably doing a pretty poor job by my standards today and my sister started losing interest. So, I was forced to go back and read whatever I could from the book. It wasn’t much and I was not sure where to turn next.

I was rescued from being stuck by a great guy named Wes Ives (he was one of the authors of the Chivalry & Sorcery RPG from WAY back). He held a D&D camp in the summer at the local Jr. High School and I got to finally play D&D in more or less the style I’d eventually think was best for me. He ran games for a group of kids from about 9 in the morning until 3 in the afternoon. I was frequently late getting home from these sessions because I stayed after to ask him a whole bunch of questions.

He was very kind and generous in taking the time to answer what were probably fairly tedious inquiries from a chattermouth of a 12 year old. But I was learning fast and in the very best way for me: A small amount of instruction and a whole lot of Just Do It. I doubt I’ve ever learned so much, so fast, about gaming than I did that summer.

I have seen this pattern repeated for me in almost every skill I’ve ever successfully learned. It has reached the point where I won’t bother trying to learn via more didactic methods where I don’t “get my hands dirty.” I know what works for me.

Do you have a good handle on how you learn best? Did you learn gaming with methods that worked well for you or did it take a while to grab hold of you?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In a lot of cases, I learn best by doing or by seeing/listening to a teacher and asking questions- reading is great, and MOST of my learning is via that route- but there is something about experiencing things "live" that makes things stick better.

With computer games, I jump in, then read the books if/when I encounter an issue. With learning RPGs, the need to create your PC necessitates the use of the books first, but even there, I tend to lock in on some aspect and go with that for inspiration rather than read things through. I'll only read so much as I need to be functional.

Janx

Hero
I'm a figure it out myself kind of guy.

I taught myself how to program when I was 10 by sitting at the PC and reading the language reference guide on all the commands.

I taught myself how to read sheet music by googling the note reference and then spending a 3 day weekend computing and visualizing where those notes were on the guitar neck in reference to the location on the musical chart. By the end of the weekend, I couldn't sight read (that is play a song straight off the sheet), but I could parse any sheet music into what I needed to do and memorize that). You could call out a note and I could nail it on the guitar or place it on the chart.

Pretty much most of what I know for programming technologies, I figured out. Generally, a business need is presented, and I find a technology that could solve it, and then I figure out how to use that technology from articles and exploring the specification.

I read 60 pages an hour, and I've keenly honed my ability scroll through titles, tables of contents, headings to jump to the exact section I actually need from a google search or given site/book that allegedly holds the answer. Basically, I know what the answer should look like before I find it, allowing me to ignore anything not shaped like the answer.

As a result, I really hate YouTube tutorials. They force me to sit through blather on irrelevant content. Other than moving the slider to see a freeze frame that might be near where I need to start watching. Unlike real text which contains section headings and such that I can pick out from the whole cloth. Video is a terribly linear experience.

In most games, I just jump in and figure it out. Most games play the same nowadays, and it is usually a matter of finding the differences in the control scheme, rather than fretting about "how do I move forward". bear in mind, I'm used to the old days of getting pirated Apple IIe games with no directions and having to figure out how to play Aztec (a game that used MOST of the keys on the keyboard).

Part of my trick to learning is that I build a mental model of how a thing should work before I even approach learning how it should work. So I know what to expect from a banking program before I run your banking program. At that point, I am merely revising my model with the artifacts I find in the actual model.

Contrast that to the typical clueless user, who approaches the computer banking program and it's like they've forgotten how to manage their money at all, let alone what data structures and interfaces one should expect to see when dealing with the topic of money and Your Banking Transactions.

this methodology is part of what helps me spot what the right answer is when I'm googling for it. I have already deduced what the general solution should look like, and am merely looking for something in that shape with the exact actual details that I need.

I loathe sitting in a classroom while somebody runs through their lecture. I could have read the same content in a fraction of the time, or simply meditated on the concept the session was intended to teach and come to the same conclusion.

If I have to ask somebody for help, I want to sum up the situation ,clarify a term that I didn't know, and find out what I should expect to find when I remove the cover, or how to remove the component without causing damage.

If I have to start over with troubleshooting every prior step with that person so they can catch up to where I am in the problem, they are wasting my time, more often than not.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I think failure is tremendously important. It's valuable to have enough responsibility that you can make mistakes. It's critical that you have enough support that you feel comfortable making them. It's important to be able to recognize them, and feedback helps.

To me, gaming is great at giving you those things.

diaglo

Adventurer
i readsomething, i play/try something. i make mistakes and adjust.

but i learn best by repetition.

it has to become second nature

Unpossible E

First Post
You actually learned how to play from Wes Ives? That's awesome. I was big into FGU games back in the day.

Like many here, I learn best by way of a brief introduction, followed by a lot of experimentation. I find I'm a "just in time" learner, meaning that for me the material has to have some bearing on a goal I'm trying to reach. In the case of gaming, the goal is understanding the game well enough to play (and frequently GM).

The topic of how people learn to play tabletop RPGs is near and dear to my heart. I recently overhauled my site, Learn Tabletop RPGs which is designed with the goal of introducing would-be gamers to the hobby.

While it isn't possible to "learn by doing" with the site, I've tried to make it easy for someone to enter the site, orient themselves to what tabletop RPGs are all about, download one of several starter game PDFs, then come back and explore more in-depth topics as they please. I've also augmented this approach by including links to a few videos that (hopefully) effectively demonstrate how tabletop RPGs are played.

It's difficult to tell whether the site is useful to newcomers because they don't typically hang out in tabletop forums and the like. Unfortunately I haven't had an EN World account long enough to post a link to the site (learntabletoprpgs.com), but I'd appreciate any constructive feedback that you think might help make the site more useful to newcomers.

Last edited by a moderator:

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I start by building a straight fighter character and playing that for a while. It is usually the simplest character.

Generally, if it is funny, I have a much easier time remembering it. Best instructors I had in college were the ones who made the subject funny. And I had some amazingly funny history professors.

Razjah

Explorer
I learn best hearing and discussing. For classes or game systems discussions really help me. Learning a game system, I can make comparisons to help me get a frame of reference- for example, I was not getting how to use Aspects in Dresden Files properly until I was explaining BITs from Burning Wheel to my group when it suddenly clicked. I also really like being able to have someone either give me a short hand version (I can then read the rules with a framework) or double check that I am understanding the rules properly by giving my own paraphrased version.

Remove ads

Remove ads