D&D 5E How do you like my Cave Trolls (& Other Monsters) ?

dave2008

Legend
(caveat: I'm still very new to 5e monster design, so apply salt as needed)

Given how you've narrated Headbutt, it might make more sense as a bonus action. It would be a trait, reading something like:

"Headbutt. When the cave troll successfully hits the same target with two claw attacks, it can make a headbutt attack against that target as a bonus action. It may smash its forehead...."

(I only mention this because I've been looking a lot at the Lion statblock last day or two; and you've framed this attack similarly to how a lion's Pounce trait works, as a follow-up to a successful normal attack.)
Is was my recommendation as well. I also like it as a bonus action as now the troll as to decide to regenerate a limb or use headbutt

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Here is another troll - their leader. . . I think she should be CR 6.

Eydral-TrollChieftess-clr.jpg

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Maybe I'll transform this thread into one where I just post the stat blocks of the monsters I am prepping.

Wyckwax the Goblin is an example of a monster that is not meant to be physical threat to the PCs (he is CR 1/2 they are Level 6) but an interesting NPC to potentially negotiate with who is the boss of several monsters (2 dozen more goblins, a handful of ogres, and a troll) that could be a real threat. He is leading a splinter group away from the rule of Eydral the Troll Chieftess, so the party letting him and those loyal to him get away (or maybe even join the fight!) could make the fighting easier - but then again, he may show up later even more of a threat.

Note: there is a mistake in the stat block below - he should have 4d6 HD.
Wyckwax.jpg

Remove ads