How do you like (or don't like) the Savage Worlds rpg?

the Jester

Legend
I played a couple SW campaigns, and I thought the system was less fun than the setting and the group. It's worth trying out, for sure; and some of the setting material alone is worth the price of entry (although some of it is also available for other systems, a la Deadlands, if you can find them).

Greg K

Legend
Like, @MGibster, It is, currently, my favorite generic system although I have not played it for several years (my last time running was prior to a seven year supers campaign in another system and then taking time off from gaming prior to COVID) . I have found it quick and have had no problems playing without miniatures.
I do have a few issue with the game. Swingingess, however, is not among them (for me).

If the game is too lethal, you need to adjust the lethalness through the incapacitation table as a setting rule to match the lethality you want. This was done in some of the One Sheets (e.g. Crime City is gritty lethal) and some third party products. Clint Black, on the prior version of the PEG forums, provided dials from Cartoony (characters never die to Very Gritty with several levels in-between including Action Heroes. IIRC, the latest version of Savage Worlds includes some or all of these dials (I have not checked for several years).

Last edited:

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
I have pretty much all the same complaints as @Retreater. In addition, I also find the dealing of playing cards for initiative, regardless of setting, off-putting. Like, this is clearly a carry over from OG Deadlands but does it really fit in a cyberpunk game, say?

Thomas Shey

Legend
Eh, there's nothing intrinsic in dice that is a better a fit than playing cards. You're just used to them. In the end, playing cards are just randomizers with a bit of built in memory.

dbm

Savage!
Playing cards are more than that in my opinion, and I really like them for initiative. The way that Clubs indicate a complication in chases or dramatic tasks adds variety and keeps things fresh round-to-round.

Varying initiative round-to-round also keeps characters on their toes and dealing cards visibly on the table is quick and it makes it very easy to see who is acting when as soon as you internalise the ‘reverse alphabetic’ priority of suits for breaking ties (spades > hearts > diamonds > clubs - which is a common ranking in card games too).

Thomas Shey

Legend
Playing cards are more than that in my opinion

In what way? I agree for other usage they have some different functionality, but other than the impact of jokers, in initiative my description of them is simply reality; they're a way of generating a number range that does not immediately repeat.

aramis erak

Legend
How do you like (or don't like) the Savage Worlds rpg? I am thinking about buying it, but I want to hear some opinions of it from you guys. Thanks in advance.
I've had copies for years, and never played nor run it, since when I sat in on a couple sessions, it was not fast, it was whiffy, and I often find dice-step systems to be claustrophobic in the ratings.

Remove ads