• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Do You Like the Warlord?

What Do You Think of the Warlord?

• I pretty much like it.

Votes: 306 76.5%
  • I pretty much don't like it.

Votes: 94 23.5%

i don´t like the wording of white raven onslougt.
It should read: shift a willing ally.

But maybe allies can always decide to be unwilling.

Although the pitfiends allies should not be able to resist the command... actually it should read taget devil up to lvl25 (which will serve them respect from lesser devils)

the rest is quite fine. He has good damage potential and makes combat more realistic by allowing allies to really react to certain actions without making it a general rule (which would make the combat system to comlicated)

White Tornado

First Post
Warlord? Meh. Not for me. I really like the idea of a non-cleric 'leader' class. But I'm not gonna play it.

I'd rather play a rogue, warlock, ranger, fighter, paladin or wizard (any non-leader class) with cleric training (or paladin training) for some healing power, than playing a cleric or a warlord. I can see myself in a religious, cleric-trained party of rogue, fighter and wizard, just to avoid playing a cleric...

Gloombunny

First Post
I'm reserving judgement till I experience it in play. It looks neat, but I'm worried that it would be annoying to the other PCs to have the warlord's player continually telling them what neat thing they can do each round. Even without any requirement to do what the warlord suggests, it seems like a potential nuisance. I like knowing what my character is capable of, and if that's going to be changing every round based on what the warlord did, I might not be a totally happy camper.

Stogoe

First Post
It's much easier to yell about how something sucks than to yell about how much you like something.

Also, I think what we've seen of the Warlord rocks.

skraig

First Post
Unfortunately

I went to D&DXP and really enjoyed the 4th ed preview. But they did NOT preview the warlord and that concerned me.

I am not thrilled by the flavor of the class or the mechanics. It won't stop me from buying 4th ed or enjoying it. I just probably won't play one myself. It just stretches my imagination in a strange way. Why is he enhancing his friends instead of just doing something? How doe this work?

Bummer.

GSHamster

Adventurer
I think what we really need to grok the warlord is an example from a movie or television show.

What fictional characters do you think best matches the warlord?

Carnivorous_Bean

First Post
Set said:
As usual, I can't really judge it based on the message that I'm not allowed to view it. :)

I'm sure some site other that WotC's will preview it at some point. I love the idea of a Bard / Marshall style class done well (I've played more than one Cleric along those lines as well, with Prayer, Bless, Recitation, etc.). On the other hand, if it's all about moving people around the board, that's a little less 'leader of men' and a little more 'Elocator Psion' than I was looking for.

Just click the "printer friendly" button at the bottom of the page. :D

ruleslawyer

GSHamster said:
I think what we really need to grok the warlord is an example from a movie or television show.

What fictional characters do you think best matches the warlord?
General Maximus from Gladiator is a good example of a character with at least some warlord levels; check the Battle of Carthage scene or the battle at the beginning. Shakespeare's Henry V (and possibly Homer's Agamemmnon) as well. John Wayne's character in virtually every war movie the Duke ever made. Lee Marvin's major in The Dirty Dozen. And so on.

Remove ads