• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you like your stake?

Klaus

First Post
Wooden Stake: Exotic Weapon; Cost -; Damage (Medium) 1d6; Crit: 20/x2; Piercing.

A character proficient in wielding a wooden stake as a weapon can possibly hit a vampire's heart with it. If the character rolls a critical hit, determine the additional damage (even though undead are usually immune to critical hits). If the critical hit's damage is enough to bring the vampire's hp total to 0 or below, the stake has pierced the heart and the vampire is rendered immobile while it stays there. If the damage is not enough, then the vampire suffers no additional damage from the critical, only the regular stake damage (subject to damage reduction). If a rogue scores a critical hit while performing a sneak attack, the sneak attack damage is included in the calculation (and is negated if the damage total is not enough to bring the vampire to 0hp or less).

A special crossbow bolt with a wooden tip might be capable of piercing a vampire's heart. Such bolt is at -2 to hit, and follows the guidelines states above.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I think that if I ever use vampires, I'll just let wooden piercing weapons inflict crits and force massive damage saves on vampires. I'm enamoured of the Massive Damage Threshold, though, so that's a good deal more powerful in my game than it might be in other peoples'.

ARandomGod

First Post
Sravoff said:
Just out of curiosity, how are we going to convince the vamp to stand there while we dig a trench?

-Sravoff

Coredump said:
Okay, let me re-phrase that. The Vamp could just take the decanter if you used my, obviously lame, method. Your Double-Y (patent pending) method seems superior, and would make for one flummoxed vamp.

H

I'd let the double Y work... assuming, of course, there was a sufficient slope.

I'd also let a simple circle and a water elemental work... assuming you filled the circle with water the elemental can make the water circle continuously, thereby producing "running water".

I suggest you dig the trench during daylight hours... alternatively with some high level spells you can do it in combat.. (mostly) You could cast move earth maybe? Certainly an earth elemental could do it.

Imagine the combo summoning an earth and a water elemental.... they stay out of combat at first, and so seem unthreatening. The earth elemental appears first, but all it seems to be doing is circling the vamp, so the vamp ignores it (while watching it for flanking, assuming that's what it's going for?)... it's unlikey that he'll notice the little trench the elemental is leaving behind. Or if he notices it's unlikely that he'll care. At least until the trench is completed and the water elemental appears, filling the trench and surrounding the vamp with running water.

Of course, by the time you could cast those spells, you could probably kill the vamps by other means pretty easily.

PS> The Edge: Interesting campaign setting/special vampires.

The Edge

First Post
How about useing otiluke's risilient sphere? (I think thats the one I mean)
You could keep it traped long enough to get the trench sorted.

ARandomGod

First Post
The Edge said:
How about useing otiluke's risilient sphere? (I think thats the one I mean)
You could keep it traped long enough to get the trench sorted.

The Shere and a Decanter. Yes, I think that would work very well, and not require a really high investment of magic.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads