D&D General How do you play combat turn for the monsters as a dm?

BungleMarlow

First Post
HI
I'm new to D&D and I'm the dm I not sure how to play for the monster in combat

we are using the starter set and we are going down a road and there are two horses. Then four goblins jump out. I've done the stealth check but I don't know what to do next.

I also don't know how to do anything for the monsters, Is it the same as a players turn in combat?

Thank you.

nevin

Hero
easy way roll one initiative for group and place them in the order and begin combat. if you want roll for each goblin a little more work but give's you either more or less options depending on rolls. The benefit of one roll is your encounters work as a unit and help make up for the fact that you as DM have to outthink multiple people.

Reynard

Legend
I also don't know how to do anything for the monsters, Is it the same as a players turn in combat?

Thank you.
The monsters have movement, skills, and actions -- just like the player characters do. When it is a monster's turn, they get to move their movement rate and take 1 action and 1 bonus action if they have one listed. Note that they don't have to do all or even any of these things.

I find that first fight in Lost Mines to be frustrating, because it should walk new DMs through every step.

nevin

Hero
sorry you did say you were a beginner. They get to do it just like the players. you might try and do a few out of game one off combat encounters with the party to get you all up to speed before you start game. Maybe even end it with a free for all arena game with just character to give you a completely chaotic combat to manage.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
HI
I'm new to D&D and I'm the dm I not sure how to play for the monster in combat

we are using the starter set and we are going down a road and there are two horses. Then four goblins jump out. I've done the stealth check but I don't know what to do next.
Compare the results of the goblins’ Stealth checks to the passive Perception scores of any of the party members that were keeping watch before the goblins jumped out to see if they were noticed and if any of the party members are surprised. Anyone who was otherwise occupied should be surprised. Then figure out how far the goblins are from the party and determine more precise positions relative to things like the horses if desired. Next, roll initiative and begin taking turns. Make one initiative roll for the goblins. Anyone who’s surprised doesn’t get to move or act on their first turn.

Yes, except they all take their turns on the same initiative count.

Thank you.
You’re welcome!

Remove ads