D&D 5E How do you remember concentration duration/checks?

jgsugden

Legend
Funny aside of some relevnce: Someone asked me how hard it was to concentrate on a spell. I was the DM for the game, and I gave them my usual spiel - "Imagine you have a third arm. Imagine you're holding the spell up using that third arm. It is that hard. It doesn't take any real effort, but if you get distracted or smacked around, it can be much harder."

That player proceeded to hold his drink up in his hand whenever he had a concentration spell going to remind him it was in play because he was tired of forgetting it. I noticed him doing it a few sessions after he started. I found it hilarious.

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
For in-person play, I use electric 'tea candle' lights - I have one in front of me and turn it on if I have a concentration spell to remind me to make checks. It's shaped like a candle so looks reasonably thematic, but it actually a bulb so isn't going to set anything on fire. They're pretty cheap to get in a box of a dozen or two, so I also hand them out for inspiration markers when I DM and will give them to people who like the idea.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I’m old-fashioned and use a notepad and pencil to track initiative and monster HP. So, I just write “(concentrating)” next to the character’s name in the initiative order. Same with any conditions affecting them.

Last edited:

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I’m old-fashioned abs use a notepad and pencil to track initiative and monster HP. So, I just write “(concentrating)” next to the character’s name in the initiative order. Same with any conditions affecting them.

That's basically what I do too. Just put Conc. Next to the name.

When we play on VTT I just put a condition marker on (but I also track on a notepad, just in case).

Asisreo

Patron Badass
I've gotten used to the concept that, as a spellcaster, I'm always concentrating and therefore always making a check. Since its a negative, though, I look for ways to avoid making those checks in the moment. And no better way to not make the concentration check than realizing you weren't concentrating on anything (that round).

rgoodbb

Adventurer
We, like many in face-to-face games, have collected loads of bottle-top rings of various colours.

Red rings around the mini's always denote concentration. Still the odd time it gets missed but it's all accidental when it does it's not game-breaking and we make checks retrospectively like yourself. It may not have the same impact remotely though.

I think just because you are having this conversation, you will remember more anyway. Have you had the same conversation with your players as to how they themselves can remember?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Since posting this thread we've gotten a lot better at remembering and now that we are back in person I mark a circled (C) on the dry erase board where we track initiative. I really think it was playing remotely after our second session and until our 23rd session of what was a new game or edition for all of us that was just getting us off our stride.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases