• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you remember to rp your character and not you?

Redcrow

First Post
When I play a character I always try to use the same techniques I encourage my players to use when I GM. First, is to refer to the character in the 3rd person rather than the 1st person. IMO, that little change opens up some great possibilities, helps the narrative flow in a more storylike rhythm and serves as a constant reminder that the character isn't really 'you', but merely a marionette for which you hold the strings.

Then I create a background for the character. I don't require much from my players as far as background goes. A single page will do. All I really want are the important facts about the character. Where and from whom did they learn their skills. What (or who) do they care about most. What (or who) do they hate most. What (or who) do they fear most. What (or who) would they die for. What (or who) would they kill for. Followed by a short-term and long-term goal for the character.

I try to let the character lead as much as possible and try to consider things from the characters perspective rather than my own. Even if that means occasionally doing dumb things that would be against my own better judgement. I've always held more of a fondness for the characters I've played because of their flaws rather than any 'kewl powerz' they may have had. YMMV.

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
I use two methods to conceptualize and effectively roleplay a character.

The first is not to stray too far from my own perspective. I find it easy to play certain character types, because they are like me. Accentuating just one or two of my own traits and making them central to the character can make it interesting to play and give it a veneer of distinct personality.

But my favorite is to pick a distinctive actor, and then play the character as though played by that actor. This can add a LOT of personality to a character, and it makes it easy to give the character a voice and stay within it.

Example: In a long-running CoC campaign, my character was a small-time mobster. As played by Steve Buscemi. I'm betting you can already imagine the voice and mannerisms; it was easy for me to imagine them and stay within them.

In a shorter CoC campaign, the character was an actor ("Burt Derring!"). Played by John Lovitz. Again, voice, mannerism, and personal style immediately conjured.

I've had Deadlands characters played by both Clint Eastwood (obviously) and Eli Wallach (think Tuco), and an L5R character played by Toshiro Mifune (again, rather obvious--but sometimes the obvious can be a fine way to turn a lack of concept into a memorable and fun-to-play character).

That's my go-to method, and it works a charm. I highly recommend it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In a shorter CoC campaign, the character was an actor ("Burt Derring!"). Played by John Lovitz. Again, voice, mannerism, and personal style immediately conjured.

You mean he was an ACTor, don't you?

Wik

First Post
I find, just play your character. I always play a character with flaws, and I enjoy playing my character in such a way that it makes the other characters look a lot cooler. So I'll play the guy who gets terrified of the dragon and suggests running (even though as a player, I wanna shout "CHARGE!") - that way, the other characters get to be cool and say "no, we're fighting this guy".

And I'm a big fan of having my character act in such a way that it makes other PCs character traits come to the fore front. Do that enough, and you start to see the other players really RPing their characters.

As a GM, though? I don't really care. That's their side of the screen, not mine.

Remove ads