D&D General How do you sandbox ?

Emerikol

Adventurer
Great post, I entirely agree. I wanted to emphasize that it's the clues and hooks that get the players to the locations, not the locations themselves. I mean you can run a simple hex-to-hex sandbox but I find the breadcrumb style way more interesting.

One nitpick is the word "plot". I try to avoid using it. A DM shouldn't create plot. The plot is created when the players interact with the events and happenings that you've set in motion. It's semantics I know but it helps me get in the headspace of what my job as a DM is, especially in a sandbox.

It really helps me present things as a neutral adjudicator and then get out of the players' way. It's my job to present the world as it is and let the players decide how to interact with it. It's not my job to present only the story I want to tell.
I used the term plot as the NPCs plotting their own agendas and not really relating to the PCs. My gnoll warchief for example is "plotting" to destroy the village by allying the other tribes. So for me an NPC plot is a note that explains the agenda of a PC. Most of my NPCs inside the sandbox have them. They might be very simple. I guess I could have called them NPC goals or agendas. Maybe agenda is good but that term can at times be loaded too. :)

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Making your sandbox sounds like too much work.
It is, but I like doing it. I also use a minimal key style, so combined with the just-in-time approach, it’s manageable. I’ll also second the suggestion to steal liberally. It helps reduce the amount of work.

I do some of my own dungeon design, but I also have a bunch of adventures I want to use. They’re not integrated yet because they’re not in the local area where the PCs have spent most of the campaign.

I rather just buy one. I heard Frog God Games Lost Lands is good...
I’ve also heard Hot Springs Island is supposed to be pretty good.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I’ve also heard Hot Springs Island is supposed to be pretty good.
Yep. It is. It uses a lot of the designs that I think are ideal for sandbox play, particularly around random content generation. The more the DM can outsource to roll tables, the lower the prep since it just creates itself during play. And for people who enjoy playing to find out what happens, roll tables are an excellent tool.

I'm surprised to see a lot of folks preparing content just ahead of where their players will go. For sandbox play, I prefer to have all the preparation done in advance and in the can ready to go. Usually my weekly prep is for the next campaign, not for the current one. When the current campaign wraps up, my prep is already done for the next one.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
I'm surprised to see a lot of folks preparing content just ahead of where their players will go. For sandbox play, I prefer to have all the preparation done in advance and in the can ready to go. Usually my weekly prep is for the next campaign, not for the current one. When the current campaign wraps up, my prep is already done for the next one.
If I hadn’t adopted a just-in-time approach, I’m not sure we ever would have gotten started. Someone would have wanted to run something else in the meantime, and I might not have stuck to my task without knowing if/when I could run again.

However, I am working to get ahead. Most of the vicinity is keyed, and I am working on finishing off the key over the next month or two. The map has been done for a while (I used Tiled with some pixel art tiles because I like neither Worldographer nor Hex Kit).

Admittedly things have suffered a bit with the town near the PCs. I have some basic information, but I haven’t had bandwidth to weave them together properly. The PCs were exploring a megadungeon, so it wasn’t needed, but they’re not interested in that right now. 😅

thirdkingdom

Hero
Publisher
Here's the start of one of the most recent hexcrawl games I ran. I run pretty much exclusively in a play-by-post format, so it gives me the flexibility to start with bare bones, do broad sketches, and then drill down to whatever the players choose; I've got a day or two to develop the hook they chose.

With winter over and the bitter cold receding to the north the town of Junction comes alive once more. No longer choked with bobbing chunks of ice and slush, work continues to repair the great stone bridge spanning the Sarn and promising to open up the west once more to the civilizing forces of Man. The streets of Junction are filled with explorers and tradesfolk, mercenaries and merchants, all drawn to the frontier town at the call of the Scarlet Prince and his promise of untold wealth for those willing to brave the uncivilized wilds.

Over dinner the previous night the party's factor, a tall, stout woman named Madam Fleur had spread out the wrinkled, faded map on the table and succinctly recounts what they know.

"This map dates back to the end of the Fifteenth Cycle of Law, and has potentially changed. You may find that the landscape – or the inhabitants found there – are not what is indicated.”
“Here,” she says, pointing to the road leading to the town of Rocky Mount, “a pride of manticores is said to lurk, devouring all who attempt to pass. Their lair is said to be in these mountains here, overlooking the forest below. I have spoken to a merchant who claimed they are denning halfway up an almost sheer cliff, with a difficult approach.”

“A man has made contact with me, wild-eyed and bushy-bearded, claiming to know the location of a lost gold mine that he is willing to sell for the sum of five hundred gold alcedes. Ordinarily I would discount such tales as the raving of a lunatic or the sugary words of a con man, but I have sources who confirm that there was at one point an attempt to mine a lucrative vein somewhere about here.” She points to a section of the map labeled “70.44”.

“Explorers tell tales of Pesh, a fabled city far to the west. However, in order to get there one would have to either pass through Rocky Peak or take a longer and more circuitous route south, and then west.”

“There are also tales that the land west of Junction and south of Rocky Peak are exceptionally fertile. They tell me the Prince has his eye on expanding this way, at some point, as his domain is somewhat lacking in rich soil.”

“The Rufous Baron, ruler of Junction, has offered a reward of 1,000 gold alcedes for anyone able to clear the land directly opposite the bridge of all threats, so that he may garrison a squad of troops there and begin construction of a watchtower.” Her finger traces a ring around hexes 73.46 and 73.47.

“There’s a community somewhere to the north of Alice,” says Madam Fleur, “called Kimrid. It’s a largely unremarkable village, heavily fortified against the incursions of Chaos, and valuable only because it is contains a monastery that trains holy warriors, known as dervishes, that are well-regarded in the Principality as bodyguards and assassins. We haven’t had any contact with Kimrid since the end of the previous Cycle of Law. The Prince is willing to pay 2,000 alcedes if the road north to this monastery is cleared and contact re-established, should it still exist.”

“The Principality in general, and Junction in particular, relies on the mining camps to the north,” her fingers trace the Sarn north to where the woods thin out and give way to hills. “Ore, especially iron, is in short supply, not just in the Principality, but the Variagated Kingdoms in general. There are a number of mining camps spread throughout these hills, run by private mercantile concerns. The largest company, the Red Sky Mining Company, is offering a bounty on beastmen heads. Their main office is here, but they’ve established a semi-permanent camp here,” she indicates hex 72.43. “That’s about as far north as the riverboats can go before bottoming out. Goblin heads are five alcedes, orcs ten, hobgoblins twenty-five, and ogres one hundred.”

Madam Fleur takes a sip of wine and warns the adventurers that they surely will not be the only brave souls called to the frontier. “There are two other parties that I am aware of currently in Junction, and more will certainly follow with the warmer weather. I have told you what I know and leave the final decision to those more experienced in such matters. I will be here, looking after your concerns. You can reach me via the magic mirror every seven days”. With that she sits back, cradling her wineglass in both hands, and lets the adventurers have time to decide their next course of action.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
If I hadn’t adopted a just-in-time approach, I’m not sure we ever would have gotten started. Someone would have wanted to run something else in the meantime, and I might not have stuck to my task without knowing if/when I could run again.

However, I am working to get ahead. Most of the vicinity is keyed, and I am working on finishing off the key over the next month or two. The map has been done for a while (I used Tiled with some pixel art tiles because I like neither Worldographer nor Hex Kit).

Admittedly things have suffered a bit with the town near the PCs. I have some basic information, but I haven’t had bandwidth to weave them together properly. The PCs were exploring a megadungeon, so it wasn’t needed, but they’re not interested in that right now. 😅
Yeah I think figuring out prep is mostly down to knowing one's limitations and setting appropriate goals. Like once I broadly sketch out the scope of what I'll be creating, I'll make a list of all the individual components e.g. maps, monsters/NPCs, factions, roll tables, etc. Then I'll break those down into smaller tasks e.g. prepare overland hex map, create roll table for Dark Forest encounters, set up monster sheets for denizens of the Swamp Dungeon. Given that I start the design process thinking about how many sessions I think the campaign will run, this also sets the amount of time I have to work on the next campaign. I can use that to break down how many tasks I need to get done per week to be on schedule for the new campaign to start when the current one finishes.

Since I know my most creative and productive times are the two days following running or playing in a game, I set time aside for prep on those days and bang out as many small tasks as possible. If I find my productivity waning, then I just schedule to run or play in an extra game that week to boost my creativity again. Then I repeat that process until the whole campaign is done.

Check out The Alexandrian's blog. He's covered hexcrawls extensively and recently published an article on making Descent Into Avernus more of a sandbox. He also recently published a video on Rime of the Frost Maiden that talks about how to sandboxify that adventure further, too. Lots of good thinking on this topic from him.

Yep. It is. It uses a lot of the designs that I think are ideal for sandbox play, particularly around random content generation. The more the DM can outsource to roll tables, the lower the prep since it just creates itself during play. And for people who enjoy playing to find out what happens, roll tables are an excellent tool.

The key to the just in time approach is to ensure you at least have an idea of what is in the hexes that surround the player’s current hexes. Then, at the end of the session (or a suitable time before the next session), the players themselves have to decide on their goals for the next session. This gives you the opportunity to prep more detail, but you’re still covered if the session takes an unexpected turn into a completely different location.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
The key to the just in time approach is to ensure you at least have an idea of what is in the hexes that surround the player’s current hexes. Then, at the end of the session (or a suitable time before the next session), the players themselves have to decide on their goals for the next session. This gives you the opportunity to prep more detail, but you’re still covered if the session takes an unexpected turn into a completely different location.
The way I prep a hexcrawl, generally, is that either the hex contains a keyed location or it doesn't. If it does, then when the PCs go into that hex, they experience that location (dungeon or other adventure site or situation). If there is no keyed location, then they get a random encounter. This is all prepped in advance so I don't have to ask the players what they are doing next session or try to keep prepping for the current game every week. It's already done. All I need to do is show up to DM and the players can do whatever they want. I think I would find the "just in time" approach to be hectic.

The way I prep a hexcrawl, generally, is that either the hex contains a keyed location or it doesn't. If it does, then when the PCs go into that hex, they experience that location (dungeon or other adventure site or situation). If there is no keyed location, then they get a random encounter. This is all prepped in advance so I don't have to ask the players what they are doing next session or try to keep prepping for the current game every week. It's already done. All I need to do is show up to DM and the players can do whatever they want. I think I would find the "just in time" approach to be hectic.
Yeah, it’s different strokes and all that. I do an initial burst of prep of the starting locations, but couldn’t imagine fully prepping everything else ahead of time!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases