• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Do you Say "No" to your PCs

Zappo

Explorer
I usually say things like "mmm, all right you can take the hospitaler PrC, but we'll use the cleric BAB instead". It usually works. If it doesn't, I resort to saying "NO" every time they open their mouth to whine until they get it, concluding with a "Not in MY campaign" when I feel that they're getting tired. It rarely comes to that, though.

schporto

First Post
My standing thought that they must consider before using something is - Do you want it used against you? This one thought has killed some spells suggested. The response of "Ya know I get to use that really cool spell too, and I'll probably use it before you." usually gets them to rethink the power of the spell proposed. Hasn't come up with anything else really.
-cpd

Speaker

First Post
Respect. Ya. It's all about respect.

A large part of gaining that respect is making sure the players know that you are devoted to making gaming night enjoyable for everyone. Once you convince them of that, you go on to show them that you will listen to any suggestions they might make, and more importantly, that you know when you are wrong. And that when you ARE wrong, you will act to correct yourself, without worrying about losing face. If you can do it, then they know they can do it.

If all else fails, cuff them and stare them in the eyes until they tuck their tails in between their legs and break eye contact. Once you assert your position as alpha leader of the pack, they will cease to be a problem. Short command words following their names will help. I.E. 'Jim, Roll the dice!', 'Jack, Bad Prestige class, bad!' and so on and so forth.

John Smallberries

First Post
I've found it helps to define the parameters of your game beforehand.

For example, I compile all of my house rules and send it to my players before every campaign. I cover what splatbooks I'm allowing, prestige classes, feats, etc.

Basically, you don;t have to say 'no' so often if they know beforehand not to ask. ;)

edit: No Quintessential.* is, naturally, a given.

Last edited:

mistergone

First Post
After years of gaming with twinks and munchkins, I have no problem saying no to anyone or anything. In fact, I lay out some ground rules right from the beginning. I tell players how I envision the game and how I would like to run it, and what rules I use and what I don't use. Only if they are cute and female do they ever get away with anything. Ha, no. This of course is moot 'cause right now, I can't seem to get any game started... hunh.

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
How do I say 'no' to my players?

I shoot one player per hour until they accept my authority as DM. Eventually they catch on. This group was a little slower than my last, though - I went through five players before the sixth caught on. Good thing he did, since he was the one asking all the questions to begin with...:eek: Then again, he never did care much for the other players... hmm... :rolleyes:

Or maybe that wasn't me, it was Henry. :D

--The Sigil

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Nee. (Dutch)

In any case, It's my way or the high way. My way does have a few lanes though, and I might be willing o accomadate certain parts of players' requests. Demands wouldn't sit well with me. Sometimes somehting bugs me and I ask people whether it bugs them as well (Greater Spell/Psionic Focus bugged everyone), and change it. Or not.

Rav

Cedric

First Post
I start off with (in a very sarcastic voice), "Wow...I should dock you xp just for asking that..."

Then I smile and either we work it out, or I say, "But seriously...no, I'm not comfortable with that."

Cedric

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads