Level Up (A5E) How does 5.5e/6e impact Level Up?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
What is it with this thread that has pulled a load of angry people who hate WOC into the discussion.

I’m excited for Level and was one of the first to back it, but individuals positioning Level Up as some kind of anti-WOC product seems quite bizarre. As has been said earlier Level Up is 5e to all intents and purposes.

Level up thrives if 5e thrives. A rising tide lifts all boats.
It doesn't need to be "anti-wotc". By making any attempt at building off & correcting deficiencies in o5e itself levelup & others like anime5e /stargaterpg/etc have begin taking steps to improve o5e wotc themselves have steadfastly refused to even consider thinking about for several years. Sure all of those forks are going to have different themes lore & tropes to fill while doing so, but in the process of making any changes at all they admit that people who are not happy with the one true way published August 19 2014 are not the problem wotc has so far written them off as.

I remember the 3.5 ->4e/PF split & being happier with 3.5 than I am with o5e I stuck with 3.5 for a few years longer before eventually being convinced to give PF a chance. This time things are different for myself and a lot of others in a situation that feels like wotc has written us off, wotc's the one who needs to do the convincing. More rollable tables like vgtr is not what 5e needs but with a date 3 years out wotc has a lot of catchup to do just to meet yesterday's bar & they haven't yet shown much reason to have hope for a point 3 years off that might maybe accept that the areas they have been ignoring in o5e are worthy of being understood enough to address.

Compatibility with o5e & a revision 3 years out is not such a concern simply because by remaining with a core ruleset stuck in late 2014 I've had to constantly build things left out while trying to force things like economy & magic items into o5e I've never actually felt like o5e was compatible with d&d itself.5.5 needs to make serious efforts to fix that by improving o5e in ways that make it more compatible with d&d rather than one very specific style of game in a specific corner of a specific setting but after ten years wotc themselves won't have an easy time of pitching that to those who chose to return the sentiment three years prior.

What is it with this thread that has pulled a load of angry people who hate WOC into the discussion.

I’m excited for Level and was one of the first to back it, but individuals positioning Level Up as some kind of anti-WOC product seems quite bizarre. As has been said earlier Level Up is 5e to all intents and purposes.

Level up thrives if 5e thrives. A rising tide lifts all boats.
I don’t see A5E as being an “anti-WotC” or “anti-D&D” product at all, rather I’m really hoping that it breathes life back into my interest in 5E. My complaint has been that I keep being disappointed by a lot of the official products, and now ENPublishing is offering a version of this game that sates my hunger for more depth and choice (and frankly, for some badly needed rebalancing too). The fact that I can continue to use whatever WotC does publish as part of my A5E game is bully for me.

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
I don’t see A5E as being an “anti-WotC” or “anti-D&D” product at all, rather I’m really hoping that it breathes life back into my interest in 5E. My complaint has been that I keep being disappointed by a lot of the official products, and now ENPublishing is offering a version of this game that sates my hunger for more depth and choice (and frankly, for some badly needed rebalancing too). The fact that I can continue to use whatever WotC does publish as part of my A5E game is bully for me.
If WotC winds up taking some cues from Level Up and a) actually innovates and/or expands their system and b) accelerates their efforts to get the toxic junk out of their lore, I won't be the only one who's happy about it, but I'll definitely be among their number!

I highly doubt anything they'll do will ever come close to matching up with what I want for my own games as well as Level Up has, but I'll still be happy for the positive change.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If WotC winds up taking some cues from Level Up and a) actually innovates and/or expands their system and b) accelerates their efforts to get the toxic junk out of their lore, I won't be the only one who's happy about it, but I'll definitely be among their number!

I highly doubt anything they'll do will ever come close to matching up with what I want for my own games as well as Level Up has, but I'll still be happy for the positive change.
We’re not even on their radar.

Remove ads