D&D 5E How does that Fighter, Barbarian or Rogue become king? Bring on the Feat

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
most of those were born kings not the I went from a freeman to rulers of nations the latter has to be more exceptional as mobility up was not tolerated like it is today.
True, but many weren't. But soldiers become generals become presidents or kings, other leaders rise through the ranks to fill lesser leadership roles. Rebellions happened and their leaders became the new kings as hundreds of nobles were put to death. A lot of these were rulers who rose or took over or whatever and could do it with average scores.

Regardless, the point stands. you don't need a special feat or any such thing. just put a better score in something and use the ASI to raise it +2. Most classes only need two scores, and you can have three 14's to start the game with point buy and not have anything else below a 10. with racial bumps, you have a 16 and 15 for your main scores, and put the 14 in a mental score which will help with the skills you want.

All such a feat does is encourage min/maxing of ability scores because now a feat can make up for the negative. I mean, with point buy I can spend 4 points to raise a 13 to 15 or 8 to 12. The +2 ASI can also raise 13 to 15, but an 8 only to a 10. You are better off with good and average scores and raise the goods to greats later than having dump stats if you don't like to have them.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
True, but many weren't. But soldiers become generals become presidents or kings, other leaders rise through the ranks to fill lesser leadership roles. Rebellions happened and their leaders became the new kings as hundreds of nobles were put to death. A lot of these were rulers who rose or took over or whatever and could do it with average scores.

Regardless, the point stands. you don't need a special feat or any such thing. just put a better score in something and use the ASI to raise it +2. Most classes only need two scores, and you can have three 14's to start the game with point buy and not have anything else below a 10. with racial bumps, you have a 16 and 15 for your main scores, and put the 14 in a mental score which will help with the skills you want.

All such a feat does is encourage min/maxing of ability scores because now a feat can make up for the negative. I mean, with point buy I can spend 4 points to raise a 13 to 15 or 8 to 12. The +2 ASI can also raise 13 to 15, but an 8 only to a 10. You are better off with good and average scores and raise the goods to greats later than having dump stats if you don't like to have them.
if some become kings I wonder what the other options should be?

Oofta

Legend
That and we already have feats like prodigy feat if you want to be better at persuasion.

There's nothing wrong with adding a new feat for your game, but it's a pretty small niche.

Mind of tempest

I mean, the archetypal way for a barbarian or fighter to take a throne is to take it by force, and they keep it by threat of force, not by being particularly diplomatic, canny negotiators, or personally charming.
I take it we are assuming someone is rather amoral then?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I take it we are assuming someone is rather amoral then?

Context matters - if you are taking control by force because the current regime is evil? Probably not.

Beyond that... please feel free to have a long debate with the party Paladin over whether the use of force for control is necessarily amoral. I don't think it adds to the discussion here.

Zubatcarteira

Now you're infected by the Musical Doodle
They can probably get by with average stats. The issue is casters coming to bully them, martials can't really handle that without some other casters willing to work for them.

Mind of tempest

Please feel free to have a long debate with the party Paladin over whether the use of force for control is necessarily amoral. I don't think it adds to the discussion here.
just wanting to get my parameters set up, any idea what the other classes get?
a feat that gives diet expertise is not a bad idea

Remove ads