• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How does your group handle a character's Hit Points?

What Hit Dice Gen method does your group use?

• Roll HD once, take what you get

Votes: 168 33.3%
  • Roll HD once, re-roll 1's

Votes: 113 22.4%
  • Fixed HD/level

Votes: 90 17.8%
  • Roll HD, may reroll but at next HD down (d10 to d8, d8 to d6, etc.)

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Some other method

Votes: 128 25.3%

chris7476

First Post
I have a somewhat different method but all my players really like it.

I give the players a choice:

1. Take the median +1 of the hit die in question: 7 for d12, 6 for d10, 5 for d8, 4 for d6, 3 for d4.

2. Roll using one lower die and add 2 to the number: 1d10+2 for d12, 1d8+2 for d10, 1d6+2 for d8, or 1d4+2 for d6.

Classes with a hit die of d4 do not roll one lower die and add 2 to the number. If they choose to roll, they use a normal d4.

This is for more challenging campaigns but I always hated overbearing DM's that made fighters and barbs keep the 1's they rolled.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
In my campaign ya takes what ya gets,
as a non killer DM its rarely a problem. Stats are high enough that everyone has a 1-3 con bonus and this covers for bad rolls. This did kill one charater - a melee elven monk with 8 con, he had 12 hp at 4th lvl, and walked off to die.

Monsters get either printed hp or 5-6 hp per d8 and +/- d10
Now named critters get 7hp per die or 10 per d12 I just can't stomach max hp
it seems so unrealistic.

Setanta

First Post
I let them roll twice and keep the better roll. There's still randomness, and a chance for a bad roll, but in general they have above average hit points, which is fine with me. I feel the PC's deserve a bit of a break, since resurrection is nearly impossible IMC.

Squire James

First Post
My method seems common enough that it probably should have been one of the options. Roll as normal. If roll is less than HD/2, it is HD/2. I sometimes show some mercy and re-roll until it's higher than minimum if they've got 3 minimums in a row, but that's the exception and not the rule.

Iron Sheep

First Post
Before rolling you can choose to simply take 1/2 max for your hit dice that level. If you roll, you take what you roll, but you can spend "luck points" to re-roll.

Corran

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads