D&D General How Dungeons & Dragons Started, WotC video.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
This is pretty good stuff.....it's a bit dry, as he says what's in the book, but doesn't tell the stories much around the stuff (I'm sure that's in the book).

Zaukrie

New Publisher
It's a nearly 600 page book, I think it was a pretty concise rundown of what to expect.
sure, was not a criticism (though much of the book is the old rules, I'm more interested in the other stuff)......was just an observation about the video. The second half seems to be much more him telling stories, and he's more excited.

Yaarel

He Mage
I appreciate this video in the original post.

The book, The Making, has gone from an anticipated interesting read, to a must-have.

The historical analysis seems reasonable, compassionate and fair. Its focus on the documents, the rules themselves, and how these rules actually functioned in practice, feels accurate and useful. Both Gygax and Anderson are vital.

It convincingly demonstrates that "Dungeons & Dragons", per se, originates in year 1974. But the book explains the formative years leading up to it are innovative and causing a revolutionary paradigm.

It is interesting how the "rights" to certain historical documents can interfere with the process of understanding history. The authors are aware of this, and make an effort to compensate for the missing documentation in their description.

The book looks to be an excellent book about D&D, and even an excellent example of historiography itself.

Yaarel

He Mage
The video also emphasized for me how the "fans" are an integral aspect of the D&D tradition. Corporations can help this tradition or hurt it, but no single corporation can "own" it. The fans "own" D&D. Corporations can own their contributions to it, and do well to integrate and acknowledge the contributions by others.

D&D and perhaps the roleplaying generally that derives from it, is unlike other kinds of games.

The game is about how to invent a reality. This is something profound, perhaps existentialist. It cannot be commodified.

Last edited:

Remove ads