D&D General How Dungeons & Dragons Started, WotC video.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Great video. While I heard about the influence Avalon Hill's Outdoor Survival had on the game before, I didn't realize the connection to both Hit Points and Random Encounters were from that game. Very cool.
I'm glad I finally picked up a copy recently. I imagine the prices will bump up again as a wider range of more casual history buffs and collectors become aware of its role and importance in the original game.

Weird Dave

Adventurer
Publisher
I'm absolutely here for the kind of retrospective/historic collections of D&D and RPGs in general. This book is def a must buy for me. But more than that, boy watching that video with Jason's clear enthusiasm - it's really infectious. As a Twin Cities gamer, this feels like a perfect time to dig into The First Fantasy Campaign from Judge's Guild and run an extended one shot of Blackmoor using the rules as they were. I've got that wood box reprint of the white box WotC did a few years ago, might have to see about scrounging up a copy of The First Fantasy Campaign soon.

Sorry wallet - this might hurt. But it's for a good cause.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Doesn’t WotC own the rights to that game? Can they reprint it?
Not only can they, they are: this book has Outdoor Survival in its entirety, since Hasbro owns it.

They have in this book, in their entirety alomg with other documents:

• Chainmail, 2nd printing
  • Outdoor Survival
  • A 100 page first draft of the rules
  • Brown Box D&D with Hobbits, Entw, & Balrogs (makes me feel better about buying the white box PDF)
  • Greyhawk
  • Blackmoor
  • Eldritch Wizardry

Remove ads