D&D 5E How Far Could D&D Change--And STILL Be D&D?

GuyBoy

Hero
So was Pathfinder, which utilised the catchphrase “ 3E lives”, still D&D? Certainly, when my group moved to it during the 4E era we still referred to “are we playing D&D this weekend?”

Is Level Up still D&D?

Just asking because neither are WOTC

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I think so. @Umbran 's suggestion that we're really asking about "sacred cows" is on point.

You can tweak how the rules work, but since the beginning, a character sheet for D&D has THE 6 ability scores, your race & class, AC, hit points, and saving throws. No matter how the rules have been tweaked since (e.g THAC0 vs. d20 plus), it's always come down to a core appearance that hasn't changed.
Well except for that hot minute when we had 7 ability scores...

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
How much of Dungeon Crawl Classics could I jam into D&D before people complained???

So was Pathfinder, which utilised the catchphrase “ 3E lives”, still D&D? Certainly, when my group moved to it during the 4E era we still referred to “are we playing D&D this weekend?”

Is Level Up still D&D?
All of these are D&D variants. There's less difference between them and 5E than there is between OD&D and 5E.

In comparison to other systems I've played, IMHO DnD is at its core defined by a class based leveling system as opposed to a more gradual or open system like Shadow Run and Vampire (at least the older versions I've played). Even when I've played Starwars, Pathfinder and even Spy Craft they felt very grounded in a DnDish reality.

Remove ads