D&D 5E How Good/Bad are Monks?

Zardnaar

Legend
Sun Soul Monk powers are much better than the 4 Element's Monk. The Sun Soul's burning hands costs 2 pp and is a bonus action; the 4 Element's burning hands costs 2 pp and is an action. The Sun Soul has a free weak fireball (2d6 for free) that can be pumped up with Ki; the 4 Elements has to spend ki on their fireball all the time.

The 4 elements monk gets hardly anything outside of new ways to spend their ki. If it got extra ki, or some more things (energy resistance, attack cantrips), it would be fine.

I have noticed that the elemental Monks get a flame fist ability though . 1 Ki point 1d10 extra damage. At level 5 thats 3 attacks a round an extra d10 on all of them.

In our games 1-2 short rests is more or less guaranteed (1 usually). 3 would be rare unless you cheese one at the start of the day with a warlock using hex for example. I'm leaning towards Sun Soul or Long Death monk or even go full on gonzo stupid with a Aaracokra sunsoul monk flying around firing laser beams.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I have noticed that the elemental Monks get a flame fist ability though . 1 Ki point 1d10 extra damage. At level 5 thats 3 attacks a round an extra d10 on all of them.

In our games 1-2 short rests is more or less guaranteed (1 usually). 3 would be rare unless you cheese one at the start of the day with a warlock using hex for example. I'm leaning towards Sun Soul or Long Death monk or even go full on gonzo stupid with a Aaracokra sunsoul monk flying around firing laser beams.

it's a ki point for every +1d10 damage you use with it.

Giant2005

First Post
My personal fave is monk 17/ BM fighter 3. The splash in fighter gives you a fighting style, action surge and (importantly) superiority dice (great for extra damage and even more battlefield control). You lose nothing from monk aside from delayed progression.

You lose the Monk's level 18 ability which is the best defensive ability in the game - easy opportunity for stealthing in combat, enemies hitting you for half damage, as well as attacking with disadvantage turns the Monk into the best tank around. I wouldn't give up that ability for even everything that 19 levels of Battlemaster brings to the table, although I would give it up for 20 levels - a second extra attack is enough to be worth the defensive loss.

You lose the Monk's level 18 ability which is the best defensive ability in the game - easy opportunity for stealthing in combat, enemies hitting you for half damage, as well as attacking with disadvantage turns the Monk into the best tank around. I wouldn't give up that ability for even everything that 19 levels of Battlemaster brings to the table, although I would give it up for 20 levels - a second extra attack is enough to be worth the defensive loss.

Youre taking BM fighter for levels 6-9.

The gains over levels 6 - 20 are much better than waiting till 18th level for the ability to turn incorporeal.

It adds a fighting style, 3 action surges, 3 second winds, and 12 sup dice (+1d8) per day to your (monk level x 3) Ki points*. It gives more DPR, more battlefield control and a spike damage option to your toolbox.

Precise strike, disarming strike, riposte are nice options.

*Assuming your DM understands and uses the 6-8 medium-hard/2 short rest AD.

Fanaelialae

Legend
My leading non-fighter damage dealers are monks. High AC, 4-5 attacks for 3 rounds. Between 3rd and 8th levels, they shine.

Where does the fifth attack come from? By my count they get 1 normal attack + 1 extra attack at 5th + 1 bonus action attack + 1 attack if flurrying = 2 to 4 attacks.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I think having the extra ki points granted by monk are better than superiority dice in all situations. Superiority dice cannot grant extra attacks or stun an opponent. I i think you give up far to much in trying to reach 3rd level fighter when you could just stay all monk.

Remove ads