D&D 4E How is the 4e announcement affecting your game groups?

zacharythefirst

First Post
I have 6 players at current (running a streamlined Rolemaster RMSS/FRP campaign).

3 are definitely negative on what they've heard so far (core class/race changes, mechanics, style, and the somewhat questionable tone of some of the press releases/developer statements).

2 aren't overtly negative (or positive), but see no reason to switch.

1 might try it, but says he lacks the funds to make a big switch anytime soon.

I'm the GM, and I'm neutral. I haven't liked some of what I've heard so far, but will at least give it a look-over and get into some demos once its released before saying yea or nay.

Actually, overall, in our neck of the woods, with the exception of a few folks (including our resident fun-loving powergamer, who wants to order 6 copies of the new PHB), the reaction hasn't been pretty.

"[Expletive Deleted] WotC" seems to be the catchphrase whenever it comes up. :\

Last edited:

Shemeska

Adventurer
My group has four campaigns going at the moment: my 3e Planescape game, a 3e Netheril era FR game, a Shadowrun (3rd) game, and a Mage (3rd) game.

The DM for the FR game has no interest in 4th, and none of us as players have any interest in switching either.

For my own campaign, I'm grossly underwhelmed by what I've seen of 4th, and my players are on average harder on WotC than I am. More than half of us including myself got into D&D with 3e, and it's looking like 4e is going to be driving us away (and that's a scary trend I've noticed with some other local groups with regards to folks who started with 3e). Additionally, the term "commercial failure" has been tossed about w/ regards to the DI, and they're all computer programmers and a former WizO, so my hope for that thing is running pretty low at this point.

On the upside, White Wolf and Catalyst are getting -alot- more attention from me. My next campaign likely won't be D&D.

carmachu

Explorer
Tortoise said:
It also leaves me wondering if this is typical of other groups at this stage of things or are my folks just an odd lot.

Are you finding your groups split like this or solidly in one camp or another?

We're in Ptolus as well.....

6 players, one DM so 7 total, ALL of the solid opinion of sticking with 3.5, that 4e is an unneeded upgrade.

kennew142

First Post
Steely Dan said:
Right on, we have implemented everything you have listed as well, and we will be using the new critical mechanic in our next session.

We have also implemented:

-Half character level as a bonus to AC, as we have removed rings of deflection and amulets of natural armour

-Saves are static defences (10 + half CL + class bonus + ability modifier)

-Removed flat-footed AC and replaced it with combat advantage (+2 to hit)

-Removed iterative attacks but characters gain + half CL as bonus to damage (feats like Double Attack are in)

-Spells use magic attack instead of DC's = + half caster level + ability modifier vs. Defence

-Charge is a standard action

-Withdraw is a move action

-No 5 ft. step

-Full Str bonus with off-hand weapons

-2 x Str bonus with two handed weapons

Some of these look like good options for the D&D 3+ edition minicampaigns we will be using between the end of our regular campaigns and the publication of 4e. I may try them out as well.

My group is a mix of experience and enthusiasm...

- new player next session who played 2e, has never played D20 anything..and probably doesn't even know 4e is planned
- player who has a minor phobia of house rules, and is unsure of the news regarding 4e
- player who really doesn't care about the rules, just wants to enjoy the game and company
- player who wants to go to 4e now

Since we are working slowly through the War of the Burning Sky campaign, we will probably stick to 3e unless I get alot of help converting the series :)

We have done some 3.75 house rules:

-Half character level as a bonus to AC, as we have removed rings of deflection and amulets of natural armour
-Mages get an at-will power, built using the EoM Evoke rules

Looking at using:
-Saves are static defences (10 + half CL + class bonus + ability modifier)
-Spells use magic attack instead of DC's = + half caster level + ability modifier vs. Defence
-Spells can Crit, nat 20 = maximize damage dice

Like these ideas:
-Charge is a standard action
-Withdraw is a move action

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My main group currently uses the 3Ed rules.

The announcement of 4Ed is making them consider upgrading...to 3.5.

I kid you not!

I'm really the only one informed about 4E in our group (which I DM). If I hadn't even told them about it I don't know if some of them would even know that 4E was coming out. Since I'm the DM and the one with all the books (only 2 of my 4 players own a PHB) it was basically left up to me to decide.

There are a couple of campaigns I want to run in 3.xE before I switch over (plus get some more use out of all my splatbooks). For now I've told the group that the new campaign were about to start (the Shackled City AP) will be 3.5E and possibly another one after that. Realistically, the SCAP will take us well over a year to finish, prossibly even longer than 2 years. By that time 4E should be well established and most of the kinks ironed out. I figure we can look at it then and decide whether to switch over.

So we will switch but we're in no big hurry to do so.

Olaf the Stout

Dire Lemming

First Post
4E doesn't really seem to have much effect on my group, though I only recently joined. Mostly just some sarcastic remarks from time to time. They also call it fourth adventure instead of fourth edition, so I get the feeling they're not too optimistic about it. Neither am I though.

I personally haven't seen anything to make me want to switch, and have actually seen a lot of things that make me leery of it, so I'm definitely not switching right away.

Vegepygmy

First Post
My group is not particularly interested in 4e, and seems to be leaning towards sticking to 3.5. The one major exception, however, is the guy who DMs the most--and who therefore has considerable influence over what we actually play. There is absolutely no doubt that he wants to "get in on the ground floor" of 4e, and the rest of us may wind up following his lead simply because no one else is willing to step up and fill his shoes.

For myself, I haven't made my mind up yet. I'll take a look when the books come out, but what I've seen and heard so far has not impressed me at all.

xnrdcorex

First Post
My group of 6 have all read the first preview book, and are waiting for me to pick up my copy of the second one today. They also check the wizard's website daily and can't wait to dive into 4e. To me and most of my group not heading forward into the next edition is like sticking to an older format. Like using a type writer when word processors are around, or using tapes when you can buy cds. The format's different, but it has been refined for obvious reasons.

We all are eagerly anticipating this July. We're also all crossing our fingers that we somehow beta test it through our insider accounts. Know idea if that'll even happen though.

Remove ads