How Long Before the Digital Dam Breaks?

The recent crash in pricing for digital comics provides a data point for the future of electronic versions of tabletop books, 3D-printed miniatures, and terrain. How long can retailers keep their price points for physical product before the dam breaks?

The Line is 99 Cents

Many businesses are being upended by the move to online sales, as products transform from physical to a digital format. Chris Anderson at Wired explains why Web content continues to get cheaper and cheaper:
It's now clear that practically everything Web technology touches starts down the path to gratis, at least as far as we consumers are concerned. Storage now joins bandwidth (YouTube: free) and processing power (Google: free) in the race to the bottom. Basic economics tells us that in a competitive market, price falls to the marginal cost. There's never been a more competitive market than the Internet, and every day the marginal cost of digital information comes closer to nothing.
This is the challenge facing the comics industry today. Comics in digital format is not new, but as the market has matured some patterns are emerging. For one, the massive back catalog of comics are plentiful, such that anyone seeking to jump into comics no longer has to worry about the significant barrier to entry of hunting for a comic. One side effect of the availability of these digital comics -- and the desire to bring fans up to speed quickly on hot properties as they are launched in films and TV series -- was deep discounting. According to ICv2 columnist Rob Salkowitz, this has had the unintended effect of normalizing consumers' perceptions of what a comic should cost:
It’s also fulfilled the prophesy that programs like Humble Bundle, which led the way in dumping piles of digital issues on the market for ridiculous prices, would eventually erode the perception of value for non-current material, permanently lowering the ceiling for profit margins on publisher back catalog in exchange for the sugar-high of short term revenue.
Role-playing games have also been sold in Humble Bundles. Salkowitz points out that there are benefits to this kind of deep discounts:
It’s a huge plus for consumers to be able to catch up on storylines or track down old favorites in digital format without breaking the bank. It’s good for publishers, who can use promotional sales to generate attention for characters poised for a big moment on screen or in a featured upcoming series. It’s good for creators, who can expose new (and old) fans to their previous work without driving them to the back issue bins.
The concern is that consumers will not buy new products at full price. After all, today's comic book is tomorrow's deep-discounted back issue. Will fans stop buying?

Digital and Tabletop RPGs

PDFs of tabletop role-playing game rules and adventures share a lot of similarities with comics. They have a finite lifespan but are still accessible later, and as future editions of RPGs are released, the back catalog loses its appeal at brick-and-mortar outlets, often ending up deep discounted to clear shelf space. The digital space is where a back catalog can thrive.

It's also where a lot of innovation takes place, unrestrained by production and distribution barriers that would normally prohibit a creator from launching a product. OneBookShelf's (OBS) consolidation of digital gaming products (DriveThruRPG absorbed its rival, RPGNow, back in 2006 and now manages DM's Guild) draws a parallel with the dominance Amazon's Comixology in digital comics. So far, DriveThruRPG has resisted deep discounting on the scale of Comixology, perhaps because the price point is set by the creator, not by OBS.

OBS' management of its channels provides a path forward for companies like Wizards of the Coast, who shifted from removing all of its PDFs online in 2009 to partnering with OBS to create a DM's Guild in which creators can leverage WOTC's own content to create new products. This shift was likely influenced by the decline of bookstores, a major channel for RPG distributors.

By all accounts, the digital market for comics (and books in general) has stabilized. Reference books in particular lend themselves to digital distribution. Given that tabletop gaming books are often purchased for reference during play, they can be even more useful in electronic format when indexed and searchable. The same can't be said for 3D models however.

Digital and Miniatures

Miniatures have slowly fallen out of favor among companies like WOTC, who once offered pre-painted randomized miniatures, only to abandon the product after the Great Recession in 2008 made the price of production and shipping unfeasible. WizKids picked up the slack, acting as a consolidator for multiple companies' plastic miniature lines, WOTC included.

WOTC has paid careful attention to 3D products on sites like Shapeways, a platform WOTC's parent company Hasbro has an existing agreement with. With a few exceptions, most D&D models are free to download and print. Games Workshop, on the other hand, went after a creator on Thingiverse for creating a Warhammer-style figure back in 2012.

Cool Mini or Not (CMON) has adopted a Minimum Advertised Pricing Policy (MAPP) for advertising of its games:
CMON believes that by unilaterally imposing restrictions on the minimum prices advertised by our distribution and retail partners, we can reduce counterfeiting and enhance our customer’s perceived value of the CMON brand, and that serves the best interests of our consumers, retailers, and distributors.
CMON's MAPP focuses primarily on advertising vs. the actual price of the product (in CMON's case, products cannot be advertised lower than 15% of the standard retail price). A MAPP's attempt to "reduce counterfeiting" may not be comprehensive enough. Six years later, any concerns about keeping counterfeit and copycat products off digital shelves are quickly dispelled by browsing Thingiverse.

There are miniatures for just about every game imaginable on Thingiverse and Shapeways. Warhammer-compatible models are ubiquitous on Thingiverse (over 1,700 models). Don't like the Robotech miniatures from Palladium's recent Kickstarter? You can print them yourself. Missing a ship for X-Wing? Print it yourself. Fans who have a 3D printer can even make their own terrain with OpenLock, a rival to DwavenForge's terrain.

The hobby market will likely shift its strategy from providing printed products to providing high-quality digital files (indexed PDFs, high-quality 3D models) that can't be purchased for free online. One thing's for sure: if Thingiverse's catalog is any indication, the price of digital products in the 3D space have already been socialized well below digital comics' $0.99.

Last edited:

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

My next article is going to dive into the economics of all 3D printers as a viable replacement of miniatures and terrain. Originally it was part of this article, but the article was way too long so I decided to dedicate space to just this topic alone.

I have a 3D printer and I've been pushing it hard in an attempt to replace figures: Star Wars spaceships that don't exist in mini-format, terrain that I created as papercraft, unique 28mm miniatures, etc. To your point, 3D printers aren't Star Trek replicators, but there are definitely some economics on what it IS feasible that I think is worth discussing.

Nice to hear it. I've been thinking about the uses of 3D printing for awhile now. Terrain, buildings, etc. seem like a fairly good possibility. I used to do some 3D modeling, but that's been a decade plus and I'm curious about how easy / difficult it is to get the files set up for printing among other things.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Not that big of a comics reader; nevertheless the diversity issue I doubt has hurt readership any if at all, most likely it has been: ISTR comics were heavily criticized for violent themes ~30 years ago, and their product placement went from being by the checkout counter in grocery and drug stores to (using a local example) a seedy strip mall between a vape shop and tattoo parlor. Where once you could get your parents to buy you a comic at the checkout, I can't see parents going to the comic shop where it is, even though the owners are very nice, the area is just too run down and out of the way.

If I'm too vague, here's two decent Youtube guys I watch to get my comic info:

(Actually, first... TRIGGER WARNING! ...for those who, uh, need such things I guess...)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrlzSqLSGj8GIOeT5jrQsJA

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWLmf0zALibUALCZoaDg2jw

^_^

Paul L. Ming

I'm a huge fan of comics, but none of the mainstream ones. I think spider-man was fun when I was 12. Now that I'm forty, I want something more mature to read, that won't continually reset every couple of years. For example, I'm a fan of Black Science and Saga.

As for your second link, the video titles seems very click-baity.

pogre

Legend
Making a 3D print is not like making a printout of a page or even a book. Most affordable printers also require skill to use that people who haven't used one before don't really understand. This is not a Star Trek matter assembler!

A 3D print requires:
- A 3D printer
- A 3D file
- Material
- Power
- TIME

A 3D printer rangers from the $100 to the $1,000,000+, then there are different types of printing that have pros/cons and purposes.

The 'cheapest' are FDM printers, those have a printhead and deposit material like some sort of inkjet printer. There's a limit on how fine the details are and you're often stuck with visible layer lines. These might be appropriate for some types of terrain, but not human sized 25-35mm models. Still, you get what you pay for, a $100 model often won't perform as well as a highend $3500 model. Personally I'm buying am Original Prusa I3 MK3, that's a $749 kit (plus shipping), a kit that requires assembly. Assembled that printer costs $999. This is one of the most silent and advanced models of it's class (hobbyist), you can buy professional models at $30.000 that are far more user friendly, but wholly outside of the hobbyist purview.

That's a quality hobbyist's printer, but as you point out very well there is a learning curve. It makes some very nice terrain, I just painted some up a friend printed for me.

3D printed miniatures made by a home hobbyists does not compare favorably to even Reaper Bones. I'm a miniatures snob, but if I am going to paint something I want quality detail and a quality sculpt. I'm not seeing it yet.

D@mn it! If you don't let them blame in on diversity, they'll turn on the House of Mouse next! Have mercy on corporate America... next thing you know they'll be on the new Star Wars trilogy too... :)

aramis erak

Legend
To be specific, the last I looked was when Zweihander was on sale for $4.99 on drivethru deal of the day. I am not particularly knowledgable about the economics of the RPG industry but from what I've heard it's pretty competitive. If you are making $7 from a book that took many months to produce you better be selling a lot of them, especially if it's a high quality product that is well-written, nicely designed, and beautifully illustrated.

Most "new" products from major companies run half cover or higher for the PDF; several participate in "Bits and Mortar" - buy at your FLGS, your FLGS has B&M send you the PDF.

Several companies, however, keep prices down to $10 or less for PDF.. The advice to new sellers on DTRPG is Pick one of $19.99, $9.99, $4.99, or $1... because those prices sell the best.

I've seen corebooks priced in the $30+ for the PDF, tho', for several systems. big licensed games often charge 3/5 of cover for the dead tree...

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
If we're talking digital comics, don't forget Marvel Unlimited. While it's not purchasing, paying a subscription to accessing an entire 70k book back catalogue and read all the "new" books six months after they come out is beyond worth it. I've gone back and read/reread entire runs of titles dating back a half century without dealing with purchases or storage (real or virtual); it's the Netflix of comics and I'd love to see someone like WOTC do the same.

Consider how adventures are rarely played a second time. Imagine a service where subscribers get access to digital versions of all the classic modules (to use, not to own) while they keep up their subscription, while additional new adventures (the AL season modules?) upload a short time after they've been played in the stores. It wouldn't replace the market for Adventure Path books or for classic splats and core books (the stuff that get used repeatedly), but it covers the material a group uses for one or two sessions and then never touches again, much like folks might never read a comic a second time (versus a trade or hardcover).

talien

Community Supporter
Consider how adventures are rarely played a second time. Imagine a service where subscribers get access to digital versions of all the classic modules (to use, not to own) while they keep up their subscription, while additional new adventures (the AL season modules?) upload a short time after they've been played in the stores. It wouldn't replace the market for Adventure Path books or for classic splats and core books (the stuff that get used repeatedly), but it covers the material a group uses for one or two sessions and then never touches again, much like folks might never read a comic a second time (versus a trade or hardcover).

You might be interested in https://adventureaweek.com/subscribe/. It's not classic D&D adventures, but the subscription service idea is similar to what you proposed.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases