How Long Can You DM ?

replicant2

First Post
Mark Hope said:
We did take a brief break after about 16 hours to grab some food from the K-Mart at the end of the road, but we were so into the game that the players insisted on going to the shop in marching order and remaining in-character throughout.

That's classic. Did they remain in 5-foot squares, two abreast? And who had the light source?

DaveyJones

First Post
replicant2 said:
That's classic. Did they remain in 5-foot squares, two abreast? And who had the light source?
that would have been 10 ft squares indoors and 10 yard square outside in the parking lot. ;)

edit: longest was 25 hours.

Woas

First Post
I like short and to the point sessions of about 3-4 hours. Anything more and I start getting terse and start thinking about other things I want to do with my time.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
My regular game used to run 8 hours each week, but the last hour was iffy if I hadn't gotten enough sleep. Family life, and a chronically late player have dropped it to 4-6.
I think I managed 13hrs once, but that game may have ended (@4am) with "Shut up!, a giant blue smurf eats all your characters! *thunk* Zzzzzzzzz....."

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Back in the 80's and 90's it was 6-7 hours.

Nowadays it's about 5. I usually feel it coming on the last half hour.

I ran a marathon session towards the end of last year that ran for 10 hours, and I survived but the last hour was filled with missed details and crummy strategy.

-DM Jeff

Mark Hope

Adventurer
replicant2 said:
:D

This was during 2e days, so no 5-foot squares. But yes, two abreast, lol!

DaveyJones said:
that would have been 10 ft squares indoors and 10 yard square outside in the parking lot. ;)
Heh heh. That sounds about right :).

Flynn

First Post
Nifft said:
You're doing it right now, reading up on DMimg tips while your players take a week-long bathroom break.

Cheers, -- N

No, I have a wife and kid, and I like to sleep. The session does not go on for me forever, simply because there are matters of higher priority that take precedence. ;)

I get your point, and I even appreciate it, but it doesn't seem to fit what the OP was asking for. ICBW, YMMV. :)

Hasta,
Flynn

ejja_1

First Post
Longest evah

27 hours, 4 of those spent in a bar getting rumors and local info and arrested for drunk and disorderly. (The dwarf finally got drunk and slapped what he thought was a barmaid on the fanny, turned out to be a half orc mercanary.....)
By the end of the game we had consumed 4 cases of jolt cola and 2 boxes of no doz, and most of my players crashed right were they were sitting on my sectional couch.

As an aside, I find 5-6 hour sessions are usually best.

JDJblatherings

First Post
It really depends on starting time and what i did before the game. Regular weekly game i start gettign cranky after 4 hours. Sunday game with a calm saturday before that and i can manage 12 hours.

Dave G

First Post
I think I prefer to go about 5-6 hours as long as there's a significant break at some point in the middle for food, getting up and stretching our legs, maybe getting some air, etc.

Conversations typically continue during the break, but I try to step out of the DM's shoes for that time if possible.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases