How long do we wait for WoTC to speak?

pemerton

Legend
Yes, but sadly we need to distinguish between

1. Legal reality, that WoTC almost certainly cannot legally revoke OGL 1.0 licencing of their SRDs even for future products, with
2. Commercial reality, that any future Kickstarter still including OGL 1.0 is likely to be seen as tainted by potential backers.

We can both advise #1, but the people like my friend, with money in the game, have to think about #2.
All this I agree with. Frankly I think #2 is resting on a type of mass hysteria, but I don't dispute that it's the commercial reality.

I just find it odd that the hysteria seems to be playing into WotC's hands. You posted the gossip that Hasbro has a litigation war-chest and is not afraid to spend it. Now all these publishers are going to move from relying on a relatively clear contractual permission, to a far more uncertain foundation of general copyright law (at least, it seems far more uncertain to me). Creating just the opportunity for Hasbro to litigate, and with the defence being (it seems to me) far more complicated, and hence more expensive, to run.

The efforts to avoid copyright infringement also seem likely to lead these new games further away from D&D in their core presentation, which also implicates their commercial prospects.

Personally I think those who are sick of D&D for whatever reason should just pick up Torchbearer, which already exists, is pretty cheap, and sits well outside this whole OGL ecosystem. But I don't really expect Luke and Thor to profit much out of this fiasco.

S'mon

Legend
All this I agree with. Frankly I think #2 is resting on a type of mass hysteria, but I don't dispute that it's the commercial reality.

I just find it odd that the hysteria seems to be playing into WotC's hands. You posted the gossip that Hasbro has a litigation war-chest and is not afraid to spend it. Now all these publishers are going to move from relying on a relatively clear contractual permission, to a far more uncertain foundation of general copyright law (at least, it seems far more uncertain to me). Creating just the opportunity for Hasbro to litigate, and with the defence being (it seems to me) far more complicated, and hence more expensive, to run.

Yup! I've already spent a good amount of time on the copyright status of my friend's project - knowing fine well that no matter how much we revise it to remove SRD material, it's never going to give as clear-cut a defence as reliance on the OGL 1.0 would. I have explained this to her, of course.

One sense it's maybe not so irrational is that Hasbro is apparently foaming at the mouth to get rid of Open Gaming, specifically, as opposed to trying to assert a copyright in 'hit points', TSR style. People are afraid that putting out OGL 1.0 material will paint a target on their backs.

Also, did you ever try Torchbearer?
I didn't, although I haven't written it off. Games in my collection are never redundant!

But at the time it arrived I was doing much more consim-boargaming / wargaming than rpg play. TB is a dense ruleset which needs time and attention, and I'm usually facing two or three of those at any one time in my wargaming - so there's only so much opportunity for a game of that heft. I played far more Apocalypse World than Burning Wheel for similar reasons, despite my fondness for the latter.

pemerton

Legend
I didn't, although I haven't written it off. Games in my collection are never redundant!

But at the time it arrived I was doing much more consim-boargaming / wargaming than rpg play. TB is a dense ruleset which needs time and attention, and I'm usually facing two or three of those at any one time in my wargaming - so there's only so much opportunity for a game of that heft. I played far more Apocalypse World than Burning Wheel for similar reasons, despite my fondness for the latter.
I think Torchbearer has more surface-level complexity than BW - as in, more sub-systems and rules elements have to be brought within contemplation of the players to get the game off the ground. But I think it probably has less depth over all.

Its tagline is "a game of desperate adventure", but I've found a way to toggle the situations I frame (without changing the underlying rules) which don't fully remove the desperation but make it probably a bit less gritty than it might default to. (But my players nevertheless make jokes about the difficulty of replacing their PCs' shoes - at the moment most are going barefoot.)

There is also scope to vary the degree of "player driven-ness" of the game. It's probably short of AW and BW in that respect, but my approach is similar to 4e D&D. The game has its own mechanisms - especially town events and allied things; also twists (one category of consequences for failure) - to create the space for the GM to introduce player-centred content/situation of the sort that is core to BW. It could be played less player-oriented and more GM-driven than the way my group does it.

Compared to AW, the structure of extended conflict resolution might seem a bit "artificial". Given the context of this thread, I'd say for D&D players used to stop-motion initiative it's not more artificial but pretty different in its structure (simultaneous blind declaration, 3 moves at a time). There is also scope for negotiation of compromise outcomes (similar to a BW Duel of Wits) which is a bit different from both AW (even allowing for "asking questions" as a key part of the AW toolkit) and D&D, though the way we play I (as GM) exercise a pretty strong degree of control here.

I find the flavour to be The Hobbit (including some of the more comedic elements) mixed with the Silmarillion (less profound tragedy, but some rather similar motifs). I don't have any hesitation in recommending it as worth a try.

Last edited:

WotC's apparent goal is to drive 3PPs out of the D&D and D&D-adjacent market place. I think that (what seems to be a) widespread acceptance that they do enjoy a unilateral power to bring current licensing arrangements to an end, and (what seems to be a) widespread failure to focus on what I have bolded, is serving that goal.

(Whether their goal is consistent with their long term commercial interests is a further question that this post does not speculate on.)
If Paizo are serious about taking WotC to court should WotC try to delete 1.0a, it doesn't really matter what the fans think or accept. The strength of the legal arguments matter.

Paizo have essentially called WotC's bluff on this one - they may too be bluffing about going to court (though I doubt it) - but if not then WotC have to consider the actual strength of their legal claim.

(My personal suspicion is they already did and are backing off the "we deleted the OGL 1.0a" claim but we'll see.)

dave2008

Legend
If Paizo are serious about taking WotC to court should WotC try to delete 1.0a, it doesn't really matter what the fans think or accept. The strength of the legal arguments matter.

Paizo have essentially called WotC's bluff on this one - they may too be bluffing about going to court (though I doubt it) - but if not then WotC have to consider the actual strength of their legal claim.

(My personal suspicion is they already did and are backing off the "we deleted the OGL 1.0a" claim but we'll see.)
I agree, the most important thing so far has been Paizo coming out (finally) and saying they are are not signing the OGL 1.1 (at least implied) and that they will defend the OGL 1.0(a) in court. I don't really think that is a battle WotC wants to engage in.

That, plus the mainstream media coverage, makes me think they may be forced to retract, but, as you said, we will see.

pemerton

Legend
It would be the other way around, which I think is important. All any 3PP has to do is keep publishing and distributing OGC, relying on their contractual rights. It is WotC which has to commence litigation, arguing that the 3PP is infringing copyright. The 3PP can then plead its contractual permission in its defence.

I don't see what bluff Paizo has called. WotC wanted them to stop publishing under the OGL, and that seems to be exactly what they are planning to do. Now if WotC sues, Paizo's defence has to be in copyright law rather than contract law. (I'm speaking here in very broad-brush terms, and certainly am not purporting to offer either company any legal advice!)

Now maybe WotC are wrong to think that Paizo can't flourish in a non-OGL environment. And maybe they're wrong to think that litigation will run there way. That's yet to be seen. But as far as their short term goal is concerned, WotC seems to have achieved it!

I don't see what bluff Paizo has called. WotC wanted them to stop publishing under the OGL, and that seems to be exactly what they are planning to do. Now if WotC sues, Paizo's defence has to be in copyright law rather than contract law. (I'm speaking here in very broad-brush terms, and certainly am not purporting to offer either company any legal advice!)

Now maybe WotC are wrong to think that Paizo can't flourish in a non-OGL environment. And maybe they're wrong to think that litigation will run there way. That's yet to be seen. But as far as their short term goal is concerned, WotC seems to have achieved it!
I definitely do not agree lol.

I don't for one second think WotC's main goal with 1.1 OGL was just to "get people to just stop publishing OGL stuff" any more than I think the GSL was an attempt to "stop people making 3PP material for 4E". In both cases, that was not the goal. The goal was to get 3PPs to work with them under more favourable terms for WotC whilst not doing anything that wasn't compatible with WotC's latest game. The OGL 1.1 in particular was basically designed to force major 3PPs to negotiate special contracts directly with WotC (you can see this in the OGL 2.0, assuming that leak is correct, because they make that even more explicit), whilst forcing other/newer 3PPs to either do the same if they got big or to never grow beyond a certain stunted size.

That seems to have been a miserable failure, and pretending it was never a goal is just bizarre to me. That's like a cat falling off a wall and looking at you like "I meant to do that!". We all saw you!

Scaring people who didn't want in on the OGL 1.1 into also not using the OGL 1.0a was a secondary and less-ideal goal.

If Paizo was just trying to do the ORC thing, and wasn't going to defend 1.0a in court, then at least you could argue the secondary goal was achieved. But it clearly hasn't been, and now the biggest other company in the industry (tiny compared to WotC, but more than big enough to cause a problem) is offering it's shield to the other 3PPs, and specifically offering to protect OGL 1.0a so they can continue publishing under that.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases