• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How long should a gaming session be?

How long is your ideal session? (you can select more than one option)

• 1 hour

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • 2 hours

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • 3 hours

Votes: 46 48.9%
  • 4 hours

Votes: 56 59.6%
  • 5 hours

Votes: 22 23.4%
  • 6 hours

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • More than 6 hours

Votes: 10 10.6%

p_johnston

Adventurer
My hroup tends to go somewhere between 4 and 6 hours with an occasional 30 minute meal break.

Personally i can occasionally do longer if im really into it but i find that the average session at about 5-6 hours my mental reserves and energy start to flag (im also forever DM which i find takes more mental energy. As a player i can go pretty much all day).

MacDhomnuill

Explorer
I used to like 3-4 hour sessions in my youth, with my kids (8yo boy narativist, 11yo girl dramatist, 12yo girl murder hobo) my sessions are 90 min to 2 hours. Anything longer and the 8 yo and 12 yo get bored. If I could fine a group of adults (age wise, maturity level is negotiable) to play with I think 2-3 hours would be my max now.

Session length is also hugely dependent on the game you are playing and the players at the table. A session should last at least one major event, ie clear a couple rooms in the dungeon or discover a significant lead in the mystery, etc. A games event cycle and how long it takes to resolve events like combat, social, or exploration have a huge impact on how long a session should be. DnD is the king of long sessions because combat generally takes a long time to react a conclusion vs BITD or many other story forward style games where combat is resolved swiftly.

Players and how they like to play are a huge part of this as well. Big role players are going to spend a lot of table time acting… I mean role playing vs a group of roll players.

Kannik

Hero
For me a minimum of 4 hours is preferred to really let us sink our teeth into it and get absorbed into the world and inhabit our characters. :)

(Our current gaming sessions are around 4-5h each, though the actual play time is of course slightly less with the start of session hellos and the end of session keeping/updates.)

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Yeah I can't handle 4 hours anymore. 3 hours is more than acceptable.

Currently all I can run are 50-60 minute lunch break games, which works for games that don't get bogged down in combat

I won't game less than 4 hours. We take a quick break every hour. Played weekly.

But frankly, anything less doesn't interest me. I would prefer 6 or so, but that's tough to schedule for a weekly game.

I keep the socializing down to an absolute minimum during the gaming time, although before and after the session usually sees quite a bit of BS'ing and there's daily chatter on Discord.

That's yet another advantage of online gaming: you trim back on the social aspect of the hobby.

Last edited:

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Like @Jd Smith1 , 4 hours is the absolute minimum. But 4 hours feels unsatisfying to me. I want at least 6 hours. For my main campaign I run an 8-hour monthly session. 6-7 hours of that is actual game play, usually closer to 7 hours. About an hour is taken up by breaks, housekeeping, non-game-related chatting, etc. What's surprising is that we more often go over than end early. I suppose that is partly because with an 8-hour session, you tend to block of the day for gaming.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
So many factors that can influence what is ideal but speaking broadly I’d say 4 to 5 hours for face to face and 3ish for online (which are I find more exhausting).

I am willing to go longer for face to face games if we are really into it and time allows (something that is not as common since jobs and children put a crimp in that option).

Both current groups (one in person and one online) only meet about once a month. I’d love to play every two weeks on the regular but current schedules don’t allow for it.

Guy Milner

Explorer
I think my ideal is 2hrs online, 3hrs face to face. Break in the middle in both cases. I do occasional double-slot games at cons where we'll play for 3hrs, break for an hour and a half to eat, and another 3hrs.

I think you get diminishing returns from longer sessions sometimes, especially in one-shots. I've played 4.5 hr sessions at cons with less than 2hrs of actual content - when we're playing, I want us to be playing.

Really interesting to hear about how many 1hr sessions people are doing.

Remove ads