• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) How many classes do you want to see this edition?

How many classes do you want to see this edition?

• Less than 5e. Some should be removed or merged.

Votes: 34 27.6%
  • The same as 5e. It is already perfect.

Votes: 22 17.9%
  • More than 5e. Some archetypes are not covered well in 5e.

Votes: 61 49.6%
  • Classes are outdated. Let me pick and mix features for my character!

Votes: 6 4.9%

Well warlock already has a nonstandard caster progress, so the mage group already has a proud nail.

My issue is that I don't want the sorcerer to become a fighter/mage hybrid with a monster transformation subtheme. It needs a boost, but slapping medium armor and martial weapons isn't the fix I want. And if this is the design option they went with, I'd want EVERY current sorcerer subclass ported to the wizard ASAP. I don't feel the lunar or wild magic themes fit a fighter/mage class, nor them transforming into... Uh, I don't even know.

Basically, I want the sorcerer, not the magus.
Ideally I'd have the concepts as three different classes.

Sorcerer - Spell point casting, metamagic, and an 'avatar state' or 'mage rage'. This temporary power up boost like a barbarian but for casting. Lots of fantasy tropes where someone finally powers up and goes all out with their magic as part of their character development.
Swordmage - Arcane half caster. Reaction based teleports. Lots of spells like searing smite and ensnaring strike along with similar ones which paladin and ranger don't have.
The 'play as monster' class. Not sure of what the name should be. - Pure martial, but with a huge chunk of the power budget on the subclass to really vary the playstyle. Can go into all the horror themes like lycanthropy, vampirism, something ithillid based, and something plague or disease based. Basically takes all the monster themes from the 5e playtest sorcerer and makes it its own class. Edit: Grimhollow is a good example here. Just moved into a class rather than separate transformations.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
A Gish would be a whole new class.

The Sorcerer should remain a primary spellcaster.

In my head D&D has room for 4 more weapons classes.

The Chosen
The Gish
The Scholar
The Warlord
Why? I keep hearing how sorcerer can't be something else because it doesn't have enough space for that or because it needs to be wizard copy with a twist instead of leaving wizard with a twist to archetypes for the actual wizard class. I've asked a bunch but what about sorcerer hi es it enough space in mechanics & fluff to exist as a full class distinct from wizard?

Paladin Ranger & cleric are all very distinct with little confusion which is which from an observer but sorcerer & wizard not so much

Why? I keep hearing how sorcerer can't be something else because it doesn't have enough space for that or because it needs to be wizard copy with a twist instead of leaving wizard with a twist to archetypes for the actual wizard class. I've asked a bunch but what about sorcerer hi es it enough space in mechanics & fluff to exist as a full class distinct from wizard?
I mean that's the issue. Partially because wizard has this stereotyped theme of cranky old man without natural talent learning everything in a formulaic way from books.
Then you look at fiction, and there is tons of examples is characters who are basically wizards but young and know magic due to just having it in their blood.

So you end up with two class ideas which are near identical in mechanics, but have different themes. And then any attempt to bend sorcerer into being its own thing rather than wizard clone means people no longer get their 'wizard but hot'.

Remathilis

Legend
How about this: sorcerer becomes the default caster class, but there is a subclass for "bookish wizard" types who gets a spell book and more spell choices. They can even get metamagic!

How about this: sorcerer becomes the default caster class, but there is a subclass for "bookish wizard" types who gets a spell book and more spell choices. They can even get metamagic!
As much as I hate wizards, that will never happen. They're basically THE DnD caster class. With everything else being an offshoot.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I think overall 15 or 16 classes should be the upper limit to how many base classes there are.

We're already at 13 with the Artificer, just the Psion and maybe 1 or 2 others would be enough.
I can easily think of 20.

But 16-17 is probably the limit of "fully supported official base classes" WOTC knows how to support.

I think you could got 5-6 more "supported only by the book it's included in" classes if the rules are self referential enough and the source book goes hard enough into design.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads