• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) How many classes do you want to see this edition?

How many classes do you want to see this edition?

• Less than 5e. Some should be removed or merged.

Votes: 34 27.6%
  • The same as 5e. It is already perfect.

Votes: 22 17.9%
  • More than 5e. Some archetypes are not covered well in 5e.

Votes: 61 49.6%
  • Classes are outdated. Let me pick and mix features for my character!

Votes: 6 4.9%

gorice

Hero
I think a problem discussions like these run into is that a class can be a lot of things simultaneously. It's a set of mechanical abilities, but also something that evokes a character archetype, and maybe also some kind of character goals or attitudes.

5e is kind of a mess on this front. For example: the full casters are all stepping on each others' toes, mechanically, but each is a slightly different kind of fictional fantasy. The fighter, on the other hand, is unique mechanically but also a big stale piece of unbuttered toast in the fiction (and even some subclasses, like the battlemaster, are too broad to suggest an archetype).

So, I voted that there are too many classes. I'm sure there are other ways of organising it, but having a small number of mechanical chassis (say, fighter, mage, expert) with really strong, flavourful subclasses is an obvious solution.

Remathilis

Legend
I think a few class options I would want could be added if WotC wants to be flexible with subclasses.

For example, a summoner might be a good subclass for a druid or wizard (replacing the lackluster conjurer) as a pet sub. Likewise, a robust fighter with maneuvers built in could open up a real warlord subclass for fighter. I could even see a more flexible psionics caster built out of the sorcerer if they want to limit the tentacle fetish the aberrant mind has. You could also add a proper witch by giving a wizard or sorcerer some warlock and primal theming. I would prefer some of these to both the off-kilter options WotC pushed in Tasha or whole new classes if they were done right.

I think a few class options I would want could be added if WotC wants to be flexible with subclasses.

For example, a summoner might be a good subclass for a druid or wizard (replacing the lackluster conjurer) as a pet sub. Likewise, a robust fighter with maneuvers built in could open up a real warlord subclass for fighter. I could even see a more flexible psionics caster built out of the sorcerer if they want to limit the tentacle fetish the aberrant mind has. You could also add a proper witch by giving a wizard or sorcerer some warlock and primal theming. I would prefer some of these to both the off-kilter options WotC pushed in Tasha or whole new classes if they were done right.
The reason I like the idea of beastmaster (or summoner if you really want it called that) being its own thing, is because it has a lot of opportunity for subclasses. Each could focus on a different creature type and gain different abilities to really mix up how the class plays.

The generic subclass could have a pet beast which it improves over time. With things like flight or water breathing. But then you can have things like a celestial subclass, a plant subclass, a construct subclass, and a draconic subclass.

And the most important bit about it not being a subclass is that it then allows the pet to be the majority of the power budget, rather than a glued on afterthought. Your beast can be large and ridable much earlier on. And have much more unique abilities like healing of their own if it's not having to compete with being a full caster.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I feel, in a magical setting, skills should be able to check to interact with magic. I use the Arcana skill to allow "spell stunts" that modify the effect of a spell on the fly.

Likewise, an accomplished blacksmith should be able to produce a magical sword − and know what it takes to produce such a sword.

1e has a prominent NPC called a "Sage". This sounds like the Scholar.
I always felt D&D was missing the fantasy blacksmith and doctor.

The fantasy smith who is good with hammers and blades wears heavy armor, and has assorted fire powers.

The fantasy doctor who stabs with surgical precision, boost potions, removes poisons and diesse, and enhanced uses of healing magic.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
I always felt D&D was missing the fantasy blacksmith and doctor.

The fantasy smith who is good with hammers and blades wears heavy armor, and has assorted fire powers.

The fantasy doctor who stabs with surgical precision, boost potions, removes poisons and diesse, and enhanced uses of healing magic.
It occurs to me.

I see the Warlord as able to function as a nonmagical physician.

The inspirational nonphysical healing via morale and coaching is great until a character starts rolling death saves. This when a lethal physical injury occurs. So at this point, I would rather the inspirational healing be ineffective. (The "Stay with us!" while someone is dying is more like during a short rest, and might help with death saves, but wont heal the physical injury.)

So, if an ally is dying from a physical injury, the Warlord resorts to its training as a physician to treat the injury.

I can also see the Warlord as a fantastical blacksmith.

Maybe the Warlord is the Sage/Scholar class?

The Warlord is the aristocratic warrior, with a formal well-rounded military education. Both Intelligence (tactics) and Charisma (leadership) are part of this education.

It occurs to me.

I see the Warlord as able to function as a nonmagical physician.

The inspirational nonphysical healing via morale and coaching is great until a character starts rolling death saves. This when a lethal physical injury occurs. So at this point, I would rather the inspirational healing be ineffective. (The "Stay with us!" while someone is dying is more like during a short rest, and might help with death saves, but wont heal the physical injury.)

So, if an ally is dying from a physical injury, the Warlord resorts to its training as a physician to treat the injury.

I can also see the Warlord as a fantastical blacksmith.

Maybe the Warlord is the Sage/Scholar class?

The Warlord is the aristocratic warrior, with a formal well-rounded military education. Both Intelligence (tactics) and Charisma (leadership) are part of this education.
Warlord with a non magical apocathary subclass would be awesome!

Last edited:

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
The artificer-alchemist currently has some of that happening with it in a vague sort of way imo, but not really enough to be properly identified as a ‘doctor’ archetype.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Come to think of it, I’d be up for the PHB having the same set of classes, and then later getting a supplement with a new class for each group: artificer for expert, warlord for warrior, spellblade (or whatever other name they want to use for an arcane half-caster) for mage, and mystic for priest.

Remove ads