D&D (2024) How many classes do you want to see this edition?

How many classes do you want to see this edition?

• Less than 5e. Some should be removed or merged.

Votes: 34 27.6%
  • The same as 5e. It is already perfect.

Votes: 22 17.9%
  • More than 5e. Some archetypes are not covered well in 5e.

Votes: 61 49.6%
  • Classes are outdated. Let me pick and mix features for my character!

Votes: 6 4.9%

Mephista

Adventurer
As of the Expert playtest packet, you no longer can get expertise in tool proficiencies, only skills. You can however add your tool proficiency to your skill rolls as well.

Not sure if that is going to stick or not when the 2024 rules come out.
Yeah, but I expect that to change for Artificer. It's super weird if the defining part of artificer (super crafting) isn't getting expertise while sleight of hand is.
They all get proficiency in thieves’ tools already…
Exactly. This is odd as hell to me - why should an alchemist be a super lock picker?

Its one thing if you are a locksmith, but what about a wood-carving wand maker? I have a glassblower based subclass. Or the DM allows the Scribe subclass?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Exactly. This is odd as hell to me - why should an alchemist be a super lock picker?

It’s one thing if you are a locksmith, but what about a wood-carving wand maker? I have a glassblower based subclass. Or the DM allows the Scribe subclass?
I believe the reason they get thieves’ tools is because they’re used in trap making, which is a very artificer-y thing to do. Note though that artificers also get proficiency with tinker’s tools and one set of artisan’s tools of their choice.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Yeah, but I expect that to change for Artificer. It's super weird if the defining part of artificer (super crafting) isn't getting expertise while sleight of hand is.

Its one thing if you are a locksmith, but what about a wood-carving wand maker? I have a glassblower based subclass. Or the DM allows the Scribe subclass?
Maybe because they know how to disable the divinatitory bits of it with ease?

The physical bits are rarely much better but at the end of the day it comes down to the fact that "door opener" is a boring niche with little room for interesting stakes so it's nothing but good if people aren't sinking their power budget into a dead end. Having a lot of ways a player at the table can be proficient in thieves tools without trying mitigates those problems.

the Jester

Legend
Battlemaster with Commander strike, Maneuvering attack and Rally with Inspiring leader feat could do the job.
It can't. I mean, it can do some styles of warlord, but only those who are "lead from the front" types. There really isn't a way to do a lazylord in 5e, the "lead from the back" warlord that is so easy to achieve with an actual warlord class. It's like saying that you can make a cool druid by multiclassing ranger and bard or ranger and cleric. It's, I dunno, 65% to 75% of the way there.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

The point is they will get two Skill profs at least for being Experts...more likely Arcana and Medicine than Sleight of Hand

Remathilis

Legend
BECMI did it more than 30 years ago. I’m sure 5e can manage it
So druids just get both the divine and primal spell lists?

fac9510a81f79c35861666107f560908.jpg

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'd like to see a proper warrior-mage class so that's +1 to the number of classes, but I also think that wizard, sorcerer, and warlock could be merged quite easily into a single class so that's -2 classes, so I guess I'd like to see less classes.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I'd like to see a proper warrior-mage class so that's +1 to the number of classes, but I also think that wizard, sorcerer, and warlock could be merged quite easily into a single class so that's -2 classes, so I guess I'd like to see less classes.
Wait... so you want a warrior mage to be added... but the Hexblade warlock-- ostensibly a warrior mage-- you want merged into the wizard? That seems counter-intuitive.

Remove ads