How many fantasy worlds are there anyways? Post one.

aramis erak

Legend
Is it? Where was that established? I always thought it was separate, at most a possible plug-in to another setting.
Just checked, and 1E is clear it's not... but directly compares it to both Toril and Oerth in the intro. (found it online at archive.org...)
So, I stand corrected. I can't get to my 2E of it. (the single volume hardcover.)

Dioltach

Legend
133 Thimhallan, the world of Weiss & Hickman's Darksword trilogy (the fourth book, Darksword Legends, included rules for roleplaying in the setting).

Engel - Europe 2654 AD, a continual rain covers nearly the whole of the land and the seas have risen. Massive firespouts cross the land and from them come insectoid demonseed that consume and destroy. Players run Engel - Angels of Heaven, dedicated to one of five orders.

This is marginal, as it is presented as "fantasy" to begin with, but it is actually nano-tech, but deeper in it is truly supernatural. Layers, or bait-and-switch times two or three. You decide. We had fun with it. Originally a German game, it notably used a tarot deck for task resolution but the 2002 edition published in the US was a d20 game.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
What about the alternative earths found in various settings?

Northern Crown has technically been mentioned via Nyambe, which shares continuity with it. But what about the Earth of World of Darkness? Or the one that we see in Dresden Files? Shadowrun?
I fully consider Dresden Files a different supernatural setting than the Worlds of Darkness, even though they are both earth.

One view of Greyhawk's Oerth is that it is a multiversal reflection/alternate version of Earth.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I fully consider Dresden Files a different supernatural setting than the Worlds of Darkness, even though they are both earth.

One view of Greyhawk's Oerth is that it is a multiversal reflection/alternate version of Earth.
That was kind of my point- there’s a lot of recent past/modern/near future/post apocalyptic fantasy that takes place on versions of earth, but not the same as each other. I don’t know how many have been made into TTRPGs, but at the least, there’s those, Shadowrun, Urban Arcana, Etherscope, and RIFTS. The list gets longer if we include CRPGs.

Hell…arguably, the various WoD games don’t even seem to share the same reality. (At least, not in the early editions.)

JEB

Legend
That was kind of my point- there’s a lot of recent past/modern/near future/post apocalyptic fantasy that takes place on versions of earth, but not the same as each other. I don’t know how many have been made into TTRPGs, but at the least, there’s those, Shadowrun, Urban Arcana, Etherscope, and RIFTS. The list gets longer if we include CRPGs.

Hell…arguably, the various WoD games don’t even seem to share the same reality. (At least, not in the early editions.)
Speaking personally, I'd limit this list to just non-Earth fantasy worlds, as I think that's more interesting than gradually turning this into a list of mostly fictional Earths with fantasy elements. (And I say that as someone who threw a few of those into the list.) But it's not my list!

Remove ads