How many game sessions have you run?

Treebore

First Post
How many hours do you think that adds up to? Conservative estimates are fine, not trying to be scientific here.

I would conservatively estimate that I have ran over 1,000 sessions, with an average of 6 hours of actual gaming for each session, so over 6,000 hours of actual game time running games.

Playing? I would say I have about 600 sessions as a player. These I would say average 5 hours per session, so an additional 3,000 hours playing, for a conservative estimate of 9,000 hours of gaming over 27 years. I am pretty sure I am being very conservative, because I was typically involved in 2 to 4 games per week (I am involved in 5 games per week now, for example.) and I did these estimates assuming less than two per week.

darjr

I crit!
My head spins to think about it. I don't know if I want to know, but I'm fascinated about the hours others and myself may have put in.

Razjah

Explorer
I don't know exact numbers, but I averaged roughly running a game a week for 4-6 hours for the past 4 years at college. I can drop a whole semester, but I was running games a lot, or running multiple games a week sometimes which balances out the slower points. Add in about 90 minutes for prep a week (it got less as I moved away from having my players run through my story towards the group making a story as we go) and I'm spending roughly 6 hours a week on RPGs.

Mishihari Lord

First Post
I'd be interested in seeing a poll on this.

Best guess for myself would be right around 400 games. Average time commitment is probably about three hours prep and 6 hours in game for each session.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Twice a week (at least, around 3 or 4 sessions/week since ive been in college for the past 8 years)... 52 weeks in a year, thats about 104 times a year, Ive been playing for 13 years now sooo...well over 1200 session. In my spare time I pretty much constantly am thinking about or planning and creating different things. Wow .. I don't think I like this thread quantifying my time.

pogre

Legend
Conservatively, I've run over 1,500 games. I've played in far fewer, but a low estimate of my gaming time would be in the 9-10 K area. I've been gaming for over 35 years now.

Once a fortnight for the last 6 1/2 years plus 1 full day session per year. Take out 2 six month breaks after my kids were born and that makes for 5.5 x 26 = 143 sessions of 4-5 hours each, plus 6 full day sessions of about 10 hours. Add in a short campaign I ran before that and you probably have another 50 hours. So roughly 750 hours of DM'ing all up

Over the years I've probably had 100-150 sessions as a player. The length varied from 2-3 hours to 6-8 hours. So I've probably had another 700-odd hours as a player.

Of course, none of that includes the hours of prep work as a DM, or the many hours reading D&D books, or discussing it on forums like EN World.

Olaf the Stout

Deepfire

First Post
I am a roleplayer since 1984 - so about 1482 weeks (I started in summer) - we play every week, sometimes twice - but holidays, illness, work-trouble reduce the amount, so I estimate between 1000 and 1200 games. With a minimum of 4 hours and a maximum of 10 hours, my careful guess is 5000 hours of gameplay, = 208,33 full 24h days or 2.5 working years (40 hours a week without holidays)

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
  • 78 to 85 = 2/week = 830ish
  • 86 to 90 = 2/month = 90ish
  • 90 to 95 = 1/month = 60ish
  • 95 to 2001 = maybe 10
  • 2002 to 2010 = ZERO!
  • 2011 to 2012 = 1/week = 100ish
Total = 1090 games run as GM, 3,815 gaming hours (3.5 hrs a game).

Which is sad, :-S as a work year is 2080 hours and looking at it, makes it look like just a year and half of my life has been running games, it seems, it should be bigger (that's what she said).

Last edited:

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I've run exactly 299 D&D games since I started DMing in the 1980s. That's a lot fewer than many of the others in this thread, but our games have mostly been weekend events starting in the morning (±10:30) and running all day, sometimes until after midnight, so they are probably the equivalent of about two games of more typical length.

Remove ads