• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many game sessions have you run?

Treebore

First Post
How many hours do you think that adds up to? Conservative estimates are fine, not trying to be scientific here.

I would conservatively estimate that I have ran over 1,000 sessions, with an average of 6 hours of actual gaming for each session, so over 6,000 hours of actual game time running games.

Playing? I would say I have about 600 sessions as a player. These I would say average 5 hours per session, so an additional 3,000 hours playing, for a conservative estimate of 9,000 hours of gaming over 27 years. I am pretty sure I am being very conservative, because I was typically involved in 2 to 4 games per week (I am involved in 5 games per week now, for example.) and I did these estimates assuming less than two per week.

darjr

I crit!
My head spins to think about it. I don't know if I want to know, but I'm fascinated about the hours others and myself may have put in.

Razjah

Explorer
I don't know exact numbers, but I averaged roughly running a game a week for 4-6 hours for the past 4 years at college. I can drop a whole semester, but I was running games a lot, or running multiple games a week sometimes which balances out the slower points. Add in about 90 minutes for prep a week (it got less as I moved away from having my players run through my story towards the group making a story as we go) and I'm spending roughly 6 hours a week on RPGs.

Mishihari Lord

First Post
I'd be interested in seeing a poll on this.

Best guess for myself would be right around 400 games. Average time commitment is probably about three hours prep and 6 hours in game for each session.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Twice a week (at least, around 3 or 4 sessions/week since ive been in college for the past 8 years)... 52 weeks in a year, thats about 104 times a year, Ive been playing for 13 years now sooo...well over 1200 session. In my spare time I pretty much constantly am thinking about or planning and creating different things. Wow .. I don't think I like this thread quantifying my time.

pogre

Legend
Conservatively, I've run over 1,500 games. I've played in far fewer, but a low estimate of my gaming time would be in the 9-10 K area. I've been gaming for over 35 years now.

Once a fortnight for the last 6 1/2 years plus 1 full day session per year. Take out 2 six month breaks after my kids were born and that makes for 5.5 x 26 = 143 sessions of 4-5 hours each, plus 6 full day sessions of about 10 hours. Add in a short campaign I ran before that and you probably have another 50 hours. So roughly 750 hours of DM'ing all up

Over the years I've probably had 100-150 sessions as a player. The length varied from 2-3 hours to 6-8 hours. So I've probably had another 700-odd hours as a player.

Of course, none of that includes the hours of prep work as a DM, or the many hours reading D&D books, or discussing it on forums like EN World.

Olaf the Stout

Deepfire

First Post
I am a roleplayer since 1984 - so about 1482 weeks (I started in summer) - we play every week, sometimes twice - but holidays, illness, work-trouble reduce the amount, so I estimate between 1000 and 1200 games. With a minimum of 4 hours and a maximum of 10 hours, my careful guess is 5000 hours of gameplay, = 208,33 full 24h days or 2.5 working years (40 hours a week without holidays)

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
  • 78 to 85 = 2/week = 830ish
  • 86 to 90 = 2/month = 90ish
  • 90 to 95 = 1/month = 60ish
  • 95 to 2001 = maybe 10
  • 2002 to 2010 = ZERO!
  • 2011 to 2012 = 1/week = 100ish
Total = 1090 games run as GM, 3,815 gaming hours (3.5 hrs a game).

Which is sad, :-S as a work year is 2080 hours and looking at it, makes it look like just a year and half of my life has been running games, it seems, it should be bigger (that's what she said).

Last edited:

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I've run exactly 299 D&D games since I started DMing in the 1980s. That's a lot fewer than many of the others in this thread, but our games have mostly been weekend events starting in the morning (±10:30) and running all day, sometimes until after midnight, so they are probably the equivalent of about two games of more typical length.

Remove ads