How Many GMs Run Multiple Games?

How many regularly meeting games are you running?

• Running no games regularly

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Running 1 game

Votes: 32 38.6%
  • Running 2 games

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • Running 3 games

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Running 4 games

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Running 5 or more games

Votes: 2 2.4%

Ringtail

World Traveller
I have for the last three years, run at least one game, but usually 2, with the same two groups.

Only in the last few weeks has that changed, where I am running none. (Playing in 1.) This is burn out from online platforms like Roll20, which I enjoy less than physical games for a variety of reasons.

So I answered 2 since it is more typical for me. After a few weeks of no-games I'm probably going to jump back into it anyway.

Richards

Legend
Right now we're on COVID hiatus, but I normally run a 3.5 campaign that used to meet about monthly or thereabouts for a 6-hour session on a Saturday. Then my grown son started up a Wednesday night 3.5 campaign, which met weekly for about 2 hours, which gave me the opportunity to be a player for once (which was a nice change of pace, as I've been solely a DM for decades). But although I'm on my third 3.5 campaign with the same group of players, I generally only run one game at a time.

Johnathan

kenada

Legend
Supporter
I’m just running one game every two weeks, but players have multiple PCs so we can run different groups depending on availability. I would love to get back to running weekly, but we’d have to wrap up our other game and have no one else step forward to run something.

I’d also love to actually get to play D&D or Pathfinder. I’ve run PF1 and now PF2 both quite a bit (starting in 2010 with PF1) and have never got to play either of them outside of con games. 😮

I’m just running one game every two weeks, but players have multiple PCs so we can run different groups depending on availability. I would love to get back to running weekly, but we’d have to wrap up our other game and have no one else step forward to run something.

I’d also love to actually get to play D&D or Pathfinder. I’ve run PF1 and now PF2 both quite a bit (starting in 2010 with PF1) and have never got to play either of them outside of con games. 😮
I feel your pain.
On a funny note, I saw this yesterday: The curse of the GM... never gets to play as a player, yet when they do, they can only dream of how they would run the adventure. ;)
Took me years to figure out how to let go GM reins and have fun as a player.

jasper

Rotten DM
I running about 2. Icewind Dale on Saturday. Tuesday is Season 3. The Tuesday group does not always meet. Before Lock in I was running 2. Friday's the seaons book. Sunday the Season modules.

ccs

41st lv DM
Currently I'm only running 1 game on Thur evenings (and playing in none:()

Previously, before 2020 hit, I had 2-3 games.
I'd be running one & playing in a 2nd. Sometimes running/playing in a 3rd at the local shop.
●The 3rd game collapsed when everything shut down thanks to the pandemic. And with the shops new hours etc it won't be resuming.
●And then at the end of last month my long time Sunday game imploded due to real life politics. Two of the players are no longer friends & wont be gaming together, & player #3 has dropped out of gaming altogether for now (he was burning out anyways, as we all do at times).
So that leaves either me & A, OR me & B. Either way, not enough for a decent game....

Thomas Shey

Legend
I'm running one at the moment, but I've run two on alternating weeks more often than not in the past (when I was younger and gamed both weekend days, I'd even run three on occasion).

I will play in multiple campaigns at once, but I refuse to DM more than one at a time. I don't have the time to devote to prepare DMing more than one campaign unless I wanted to ditch all the custom brewing I do, and the custom brewing is what I like best about DMing. I do occasionally take breaks for one-shots, but I don't really consider those to be the same thing.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm regularly running two games, with no overlap in players.

In addition, in one game I play the DM (who is a player in one of my games) has suggested several times I run a side campaign in his world - well, really the world was a shared world in the 3.5 era with other DMs that he went from player to DM, but we're the only currently active group. I am not sure about starting a campaign there, but am considering doing a series of 2-3 session adventures when he needs a break.

I may be running in a rotating DM game with just three of us to give the two others some experience DMing.

I've got a long outstanding campaign that had it's session 0 but was on long hiatus. Since then it's had every character change, and the world/plot arcs needs a bit of overhaul to fit the new bunch. Not sure if or when this will get off the ground.

Longspeak

Adventurer
Currently running four sessions a week. One Numenera, three D&D. The three D&D are related: the PCs of each group are all part of the same larger group in the same setting, and any changes to the world affect all three groups.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases