How Many Minis Do You Have?

How Many Minis Do You Have?

MGibster

Legend
Just today, while cleaning, I ran across a case containing a couple of dozen 1e-era minis. Those are the only ones I have, and I haven't touched them in... at least a decade?
Despite all the improvements that have been made both aesthatically and technically over the years, I have a soft spot for those old school miniatures. A lot of that is nostalgia talking, but many of them have a charm I can't help but appreciate.

aramis erak

Legend
My SFB pal gave me all his stuff in the early 2000s. I've never been able to find another human being willing to play, so the game has sat untouched and unloved for many, many years now. At this point, I doubt I'll ever have the opportunity to play again.
These days, I'd rather play Starfire... as a tactical game... but almost all the Starfire players want to play campaign.
It also had minis... but they were small enough to fit in the SL2200 hexmap (1.25in?)... the new minis are bigger,,, I had 1 of the old Frigates.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If I don't count the small badly painted Lyran fleet from the 1980s, or the unpainted bunch in Ascension: Tactics... then one (ordered for a sci-fi game that never got started).
Loved SFB (and Starfire), but never bought any metal minis for it. Or any other vehicle minis for any game except OGRE./G.E.V.

I may have bought some minis for use as game tokens for RoboRally.

Mezuka

Hero
These days, I'd rather play Starfire... as a tactical game... but almost all the Starfire players want to play campaign.
It also had minis... but they were small enough to fit in the SL2200 hexmap (1.25in?)... the new minis are bigger,,, I had 1 of the old Frigates.

Too bad we don't live in the same city. I also prefer playing tactical game of SF. My fleets made from Battleship Galaxies models. (Hasbro, out of print). I bought three boxes.

Y1U8og9.jpg

CarlZog

Explorer
Probably around 2,700, but that includes a lot of vessels and vehicles for wargames as well as RPGs: WotC Star Wars, 28mm fantasy, CAV: Strike Operations, 10mm fantasy, 1/2400 WWII ships, Star Fleet Battles, 1/1200 Napoleonic sailing ships, Crimson Skies.

CarlZog

Explorer
It's interesting, most people either have none or over a thousand. I didn't expect that.

Not only that, about 25% have 5 or fewer, and around 50% have more than 300!

I think most people make the decision that minis either are or aren't going to be part of their gaming. It's easy to end up with a handful of personal character minis or enough to to rep a typical party, but if you're a DM who's using 'em, you end up collecting more and more for everything you want to run.

I think also on this poll, a lot of people, like myself, are including separate minis collections used for wargaming, where your collection size ramps up much more quickly.

aramis erak

Legend
I think most people make the decision that minis either are or aren't going to be part of their gaming. It's easy to end up with a handful of personal character minis or enough to to rep a typical party, but if you're a DM who's using 'em, you end up collecting more and more for everything you want to run.

I think also on this poll, a lot of people, like myself, are including separate minis collections used for wargaming, where your collection size ramps up much more quickly.
Since I see RPGs and Minis Wargames to be almost interchangeable, and I've used all but my 40K Epic Scale in RPing at one point or another... Yes, that does include genestealers in a Rogue Trader RPG campaign.

I didn't include the 300 tiny but nigh identical minis in Fleets, nor the half dozen in Lemmings in Space, the dozen in Talisman, nor the hundred or so in Shadows over Camelot... in part, mixed and non-standard scales, and in part not wanting to risk misplacing them. Nor the several hundred in my minis boxes for BattleLore and Memoir 44... again, scale. Loves me some Scots Dwarves Pipers...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases