D&D General How many of your 5E D&D books have you used?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Okay, I just purchased The Wild Beyond the Witchlight and haven't had a chance to do anything with it so I'm excluding it from the below - that's merely a factor of time.

I own all of the core, "Everything" and monster books. Plus SCAG, Eberron, Ravnica, and Theros settings - generally for the character options. I own no adventures since I usually am fully homebrew.

Core, Xanathar's & Tasha's, Mordy's and Volo's get used regularly. Along the same line I used a couple of 3P monster books plus the internet regularly well for more monsters. SCAG, when it was the only player option book out got used regularly, but most of it has been reprinted so I rarely touch it anymore. I use the other setting books occasionally for monsters or magic items; before Tasha's I used them regularly for character options. If I was getting into the hobby right now I'd only be buying setting books for Eberron (because I love the world even if will not be running it) and Theros (because it was rather unique and had some supporting mechanics for that).

Player's Handbook
Dungeon Master's Guide
Monster Manual
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide
Volo's Guide to Monsters
Xanathar's Guide to Everything
Eberron Rising from the Last War
Tasha's Cauldron of Everything

Eberron ... Last War
has minimal use. SCAG was regularly used in the early days of 5E but now I never look at it.

The other books are used regularly.

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
On top of my head I bought... twelve.
  • Player's Handbook
  • Dungeon's Master Guide
  • Monster Manual
  • Volos'
  • Mordekainen'
  • Xanathar's
  • Tasha's
  • Sword Coast Adventure Guide
  • Explorer's Guide to Wildemount
  • Ravenloft
  • Ghost of Salmarsh
  • Yawning Portal
I've used extensively the first two and all three "monster" books. Xanathar and Tasha are also purchases I'm very happy with. I regret buying every single adventure and setting book; I don't think I will buy these again. Except for the Wildemount book, I never intended to play with it, it was mostly for read.

pogre

Legend
The following books I have NOT purchased:
Acquisitions Inc
Eberron: Rising from the Last War
Explorer's Guide to Wildemount
Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron
D&D vs Rick and Morty
Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Stranger Things Starter set
Rise of Tiamat

The only ones I own, but have not used:
Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft
Curse of Strahd

It does not seem like I play that much, but I have run groups through almost all of the published Adventure Paths. Using Wild Beyond the Witchlight in a campaign presently. I may run Curse of Strahd some day, but it did not appeal to me even though it is regularly sited as the best of the bunch.

I have all official books from WotC save the Rick and Morty...

3rd party
Kobold press Tome of Beast
Nixx Monster Manual Expanded 1 &2 (the 3rd one will bought when print on demand will be available)
Goodman Games All OAR.

Almost all books have either been used or I have taken some parts (usually rules) of them. Only some of the more recent adventures have not been used as K tend to end a campaign before using them. Candlekeep and Witchlight are on the shelf, read but not used yet. I am not sure that these two are for the groups I currently run so I do not really know if I will use them. For me, Candle keep was a bit meh... but so far I do like Witchlight.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I learned in 3E to stop buying/keep books after the core 3.

Especially now a days thanks to the internet where almost anything can be found for free. I almost always use a webpage i found that lists every subclass and feat that comes out.

Any setting info can also be easily found online. IE browse the Faerun wiki.

Adventures I buy it, we play it, then i sale it.

Remove ads