D&D 5E How many players would use a service like this

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
By definition, « going professional » means it’s no longer a hobby; it’s a job. But it being a job doesn’t prevent it from being a hobby at the same time, or being a hobby for others.

DMs asking 25-40 bucks for a game do not target the original poster as their market, but as it was said above, there IS a market for it, and « professional DMs » are not about to oust all « amateur DMs » playing with friends. Different markets, different demographics, and they don’t overlap much
We-ell, yes and no.

Paying for a service reasonably entitles the buyer to a certain degree of expectation that the service paid for will be up to an acceptable standard; a standard that will of course vary in its specifics from person to person, but a standard nonetheless.

My concern is that players used to this paradigm who then move into games where the DM is not paid will carry those same expectations with them, and end up - quite possibly unintentionally - placing demands on the hobbyist DM that said DM can't or isn't prepared to meet; resulting in dissatisfied players and-or (more likely) discouraged or burnt-out DMs.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
We-ell, yes and no.

Paying for a service reasonably entitles the buyer to a certain degree of expectation that the service paid for will be up to an acceptable standard; a standard that will of course vary in its specifics from person to person, but a standard nonetheless.

My concern is that players used to this paradigm who then move into games where the DM is not paid will carry those same expectations with them, and end up - quite possibly unintentionally - placing demands on the hobbyist DM that said DM can't or isn't prepared to meet; resulting in dissatisfied players and-or (more likely) discouraged or burnt-out DMs.

So a version of the so-called "Mercer Effect." I sympathize with any DM who feels pressure about this. But a reasonable person isn't going to expect a restaurant-quality dining experience when having a casual dinner at a friend's house. Hobbyists and professionals are able to co-exist in every artistic field and in many areas involving gaming of all kinds. I really have faith in players to understand this, much like they understand their DM is not Matt Mercer.

OP's post is funny to me because Pro DMing is I guess news to him but it's a pretty well-established area of the gigging economy at this point. Like he won't bring himself to post the name of StartPlaying because he doesn't want to use his platform to promote "these clowns". Meanwhile, StartPlaying was on the front page of this website last month because "these clowns" just got $6.5 million in venture capitol to grow their site. It's academic at this point to debate whether Pro DMing "should be a thing." It's been a thing for years now.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
If you have a skill that others are willing to pay for, why not?

The experience of playing with a pro-DM will inevitably be different from when your buddy DMs for you, but there is also a difference between face-to-face and VTT gaming. It doesn't mean it's better (or worse), just different.

And as for the question of homebrew vs pre-published: having done both, I feel confident in claiming that the work required to make a campaign like "Storm King's Thunder" work well can be just as much as homebrewing something.

So, it's absolutely no for everyone. I'd certainly not want to turn pro-DM myself (because I am concerned about the effect it would have on my hobby). But there's nothing offensive about it.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
And as for the question of homebrew vs pre-published: having done both, I feel confident in claiming that the work required to make a campaign like "Storm King's Thunder" work well can be just as much as homebrewing something.
I was gonna say this, as a Pro DM I run both my own homebrew stuff and official WotC stuff, Running the big WotC books for me is actually probably slightly more work than running homebrew. For some, maybe homebrew is easier. But I don't think it's a huge difference in work/prep really.

So a version of the so-called "Mercer Effect." I sympathize with any DM who feels pressure about this. But a reasonable person isn't going to expect a restaurant-quality dining experience when having a casual dinner at a friend's house. Hobbyists and professionals are able to co-exist in every artistic field and in many areas involving gaming of all kinds. It's really fine. I really have faith in players to understand this, much like they understand their DM is not Matt Mercer.

OP's post is funny to me because Pro DMing is I guess news to him but it's a pretty well-established area of the gigging economy at this point. Like he won't bring himself to post the name of StartPlaying because he doesn't want to use his platform to promote "these clowns". Meanwhile, StartPlaying was on the front page of this website last month because "these clowns" just got $6.5 million in venture capitol to grow their site. It's academic at this point to debate whether Pro DMing "should be a thing." It's been a thing for years now.
I believe a very wise math guy sitting with very rich man opening an amusement park said it best. I paraphrase "You were so interested in seeing if you could do it, you didn't bother to ask if you should do it." I watched a bazillion companies in the dot com frenzy of the 90's get a ton of money thrown at them by investors. Wanna bet on how many of those companies are around today.

Oh, and Netflix, a darling a year ago, well, Goldman put a sell recommendation on that stock yesterday. Someone handing these people 6.5 million signifies nothing. And yes, I do hope their venture crashes and burns.

Greggy C

Hero
Meanwhile, StartPlaying was on the front page of this website last month because "these clowns" just got $6.5 million in venture capitol to grow their site.
Ah so that was what it was about. Personally I think the venture capitalists threw away their money on that one. While pro DMing has certainly been a thing for a long time, the number of people looking to pay for games is surely very small. I mean most people play with friends, and those that don't look for a new DM what once a year? During their younger years? You can probably project how many people on a daily basis are looking to join games by perusing /r/lfg and of those that are "serious" and of those that are willing to pay? I mean the number is going to be super small.

To be viable you would have to push that website with advertising into the hands of everyone in the world, all at once. Even then you probably need to pay everyone to join.

Laurefindel

Legend
We-ell, yes and no.

My concern is that players used to this paradigm who then move into games where the DM is not paid will carry those same expectations with them, and end up - quite possibly unintentionally - placing demands on the hobbyist DM that said DM can't or isn't prepared to meet; resulting in dissatisfied players and-or (more likely) discouraged or burnt-out DMs

Fair point

Remove ads